General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Break-in oil Additive

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM

Break-in oil Additive

I thought I would share my experance with COMP Cam engine break-in oil additive.
I talked to a trusted speed shop and they recommended adding this to my 425. I have know idea how meny miles are on the engine but was having dry start issues. The car is only driven on the week ends and after 4-6 days of sitting I was hearing dry start knocking for a very short time.

I have been runing Valvoline Racing oil due to the higher ZDDP levals.
Changed the oil using Castrol GTX 10W 40 and added the break- in additive. At first I did not notice any reduction in the noise but after 60 miles it was parked and sat for 4 days before started and NO dry start.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:52 AM

For my last oil change I added 1.5 quarts of valvoline racing oil and about 3 quarts of mobile conventional. This was done as a precaution against cam wear. My car also sits for a week or more between starts I haven't noticed any noises so far. I don't want to use pure racing oil because of the lack of detergents.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Cutlass Lover

Question - Should I put something in the prettiest one's oil while she sits in the cold garage all winter? I go out and start her once a week and let her run awhile. I never hear any noises when I start her, but now I'm curious after reading this!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM

Don't bother starting your car during the winter, it isn't good for it. Be sure to have fresh oil in her before you store it. If it is in cold storage the air should remain fairly dry.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Cutlass Lover

I had her oil changed on May 20th after I brought her out of the garage at the beginning of May. Should I have it changed again when I put her away? I always heard you should start the car when it's sitting - I shouldn't do this? Hope I didn't hurt her! She runs so good! She sits in the garage behind the house all winter - no heat in there. I keep her "blankie" on her too.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:34 PM

If you do store it and don't drive put a fuel stabilizer in the the gas tank
Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
67 heavy metal

I usally store mine inside for the winter the building isn't special has a dirt floor so I put plastic down and wood that the tires sit on.I take out the battery and always fill the tank prior to parking for the winter to void off any condensation in the tank.I put my car cover on and she sits for the cold season till say april or may depending on the weather.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Cutlass Lover

Our garage has a concrete floor. I always fill the tank, but I've never taken the battery out cause I go out and start her and let her run awhile. I try to move her forward and backward a little too. I park her on a tarp, as I've heard that will keep moisture from getting to her.
All I have to go by is what I hear from other people. I used a fuel stabilizer the first winter I had her, but not after that cause I start her. A fellow I work with has an 85 mustang and he uses a stabilizer. His sits in a nice heated garage and he doesn't start it at all. I'm getting confused as to what I should do! Change oil before storing, or in the spring, or both? Start her or don't start her?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by AZ442
I have been runing Valvoline Racing oil due to the higher ZDDP levals.
Changed the oil using Castrol GTX 10W 40 and added the break- in additive. At first I did not notice any reduction in the noise but after 60 miles it was parked and sat for 4 days before started and NO dry start.
That sounds great. I am also from AZ and I have a reputable mechanic that recommended Castrol 40W (straight 40W for my 57 Olds during the hot summer months) which calmed those lifters down noise-wise and enhances warmup time.

When you say "dry start" does this mean a longer than normal crank time before the car starts?

Dan
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Our garage has a concrete floor. I always fill the tank, but I've never taken the battery out cause I go out and start her and let her run awhile. I try to move her forward and backward a little too. I park her on a tarp, as I've heard that will keep moisture from getting to her.
All I have to go by is what I hear from other people. I used a fuel stabilizer the first winter I had her, but not after that cause I start her. A fellow I work with has an 85 mustang and he uses a stabilizer. His sits in a nice heated garage and he doesn't start it at all. I'm getting confused as to what I should do! Change oil before storing, or in the spring, or both? Start her or don't start her?
i would still use the fuel stabilizer in the winter. today's gas sucks. also when you start it in the winter, make sure you get it to full operating temp before you turn it off. if you don't the exhaust system will act like a sponge and suck all the moisture it can to the inside and rot your exhaust out. it is best to pull it outside to do this, one for safety, two because it will draw a ton of moisture into the garage. i do not start mine in the winter. not because i don't think you should but because i just don't get around to it.

Last edited by jensenracing77; September 23rd, 2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM

By "dry start" I mean the car starts right away with the choke on and runs at 1200rpm but for the first 1-2 sec. it clattered until the oil reaches the top.

As to storage, here in Arizona (even central AZ) we don't know what that is. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442-6.jpg (79.6 KB, 5 views)
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Cutlass Lover

Someday, when I move to Arizona - which is my goal - I won't have to worry about it either!! You sure have a beautiful state!!!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM

Those nice winter months come with a price, lots of 100+ days
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

But it's a DRY HEAT!! LOL! I know it's been in the 100's a few times when I've been out there. My husband hates it, but I love it. Hot is hot!! I spend as much time out in the sun here, as I can. When I live out there, I'll just come out in the early mornings and evenings! I think it's my indian ancestery somewhere that makes me love Arizona. The first trip I made out there was in 1987 I think, and it just felt like home! I have a friend who lives in Wickenburg.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
67 heavy metal

Ahh AZ I have family in mesa and phoenix and havn't seen them in years.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM

Good time for a trip out this way. Phoenix temps have droped below 100 this week.
I have kids living in the valley and inlaws in Mesa.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wish I could! No extra money this year for a trip. We both work in the steel industry, and it's really taken a hit in this economy, plus we just bought a building to move my husband's machine shop to, so money is tight. He has 2 guys laid off. Sad times. But when we do get a chance to go again, I will look you up!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
67 heavy metal

Sadly I am in the same boat funding is buggared for now but would be nice to go out there.The seasons are changing up here and starting to get chilly I am not a fan of cold weather.I used to have family that went to fla every winter they were grandparents gone now times change.I will have to get things ironed out and see about going to AZ if not just to visit.I have been considering moving south for quite some time.I am not as gung ho about say georgia at the moment as it is a swimming pool acording to the news yesterday.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM

We are all in the same boat when it comes to spending. The poor car has not had any new parts on some time. The boat only made it to the lake 3 times this year.

To bad that the things we enjoy the most are the first things we stop spending on.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
67 heavy metal

Yeah unfortunatly thats way it goes my 67 needs attention but it will have to wait and some parts are difficult to find.I put my boat in the water once this year and this is the first time in two years due health reasons the trailor wasn't registered since 07 so I figured it was time to take it out should have gone out more but it didn't work out that way.The bummer is up here we have to start putting stuff away or at least planning for it.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yep it sucks, doesn't it? Summer... what summer?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Yep it sucks, doesn't it? Summer... what summer?
ha ha I was calling it monsoon season too much rain and water.I tell you the weather guy is annoying here he is actually happy when it rains and looks forward to it, sorry but the guys a nerd.I would say we were lucky if we got two good months this year and that could be pushing it.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM

And you guys say it rains in the Northwest. You beat us by double and then some and those bugs big as fighter planes
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

I've been to Seattle a few times - always had sun and warm! I like it there!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by citcapp
And you guys say it rains in the Northwest. You beat us by double and then some and those bugs big as fighter planes
Ha you ain't kidding on the bugs this year.I came across a bug 2inch by 1inch.I don't know what it was but it was bettle like and I have seen two of them and they seemed dead or dorment.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM

Well, I guess that I am the odd man out. I would prefer to go to Alaska on a trip!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, I guess that I am the odd man out. I would prefer to go to Alaska on a trip!
Ha ha take my brother inlaw with you he seems to have the same mindset.I don't like the cold and there is several reasons one is I must have had frostbite in my fingers at one time and several turn white and lose ciurculation when cold,as well as I grew up with a wood burning stove in the house for heat.There are other reasons but I never said I wanted to be cooked either.