General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fuel Tank Pressure/Venting Problem

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM

Fuel Tank Pressure/Venting Problem

I have a recently restored 1966 442 with Fuscik's reproduction fuel tank part number 667FT. After driving for a while on a hot day fuel is flowing out of the fuel tank vent line, running down the chassis and dipping onto the hot exhaust pipe. Not a good situation at all. Aditionally I've noticed that the tank is building up enough pressure that fuel blows out of the filler neck when I remove the gas cap.

I did not notice this when the tank was 1/4 full or less. It started after I filled the tank full. Currently the tank is 3/4 full and I'm still experiencing the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that the vent pickup inside the tank is for some reason picking up fuel and this is causing an inordinate build up of pressure because the vent line is pushing liquid rather than vapor and ultimately the pressure pushes the fuel through the vent line and vent extension and out onto the chassis.

What I'm thinking is that the pickup that feeds the vent line is in fact immersed in gasoline as opposed to picking up vapor at the top of the tank.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem? I'm planning to call Fuscik tomorrow to see if others have reported this.

Thank you, Gary Lord
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:23 PM

Problem solved: Source for an actual '66 Cutlass fuel tank?

Thanks to the search function on this forum I think I've figured out my problem . . .

Apparently the reproduction tank Fuscik and the other reproduction suppliers sell is actually a '70 which is vented through twin vents (one for venting and one for fuel return) mounted in the middle of the tank as well as through a plastic surge tank. This as opposed to the '66 system of a single vent mounted at the top of the tank connected directly to the vent extension. In my case, without the surge tank which then routes vented fuel back to the tank, the fuel is being forced through the stock '66 vent extension and on to my chassis.

While I can obtain one of these surge tanks from Supercars Unlimited and then either mount inline or bypass altogether the '66 vent system, I would rather keep the car completely stock.

So, does anyone know a source for a used or NOS 66 fuel tank?

Thank you in advance, Gary Lord