General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Which wiper motor for 1970 Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2019, 05:18 AM

Which wiper motor for 1970 Cutlass?

I need a new wiper motor - mine has always been intermittent in operation, and now the wipers don't move at all. I'm confused as to what model I should get - there are listings for models with and without a "demand pump", and I'm not sure I understand what that means. Can someone point me the right direction? Or if you have a nice, restored motor for sale, let me know! This is for the '70 Rallye in the pictures - hidden wipers and a washer pump. Thanks
Old June 16th, 2019, 07:04 AM

Before changing the motor check that the ground strap is clean. The flat brass grounding strap often becomes corroded and causes an intermittent operation and then complete failure. You need to remove the wiper mount which has the strap sandwiched in it. Take apart the mount and clean the strap and the metal inserts where they touch and reinstall the mount. I have fixed a couple of wipers doing this.
Old June 16th, 2019, 09:08 AM

That's a really good suggestion, and I hadn't thought of that. The problem was always sporadic, and I hadn't tried working the wipers since early last year. Flipping the switch now does nothing. I'll see if I can get to that strap and clean things up a bit.
Old June 16th, 2019, 01:41 PM

OK, cleaned the contact points and grounds (they were dirty and rusty) but when I hit the switch I just get a "click". I loosened the screen and tapped the armature to see if it was just stuck, but it doesn't move. I'm thinking time to replace the unit.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 04:36 PM

Well, got the motor out, hooked it to power after a thorough cleaning and greasing and it's so weak you can just about stop it with your hand. I figured out I do not have a "demand pump" and ordered the parts I needed from various sources - I had the wrong washer pump on there anyway. Not as difficult of a job as I had imagined!
Old June 23rd, 2019, 05:53 PM

Hey Bob, do you have part numbers and prices or links to the parts you used? My wiper motor also stopped working, so I will be looking into this soon. I will also check the ground strap first.
Old June 24th, 2019, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
Hey Bob, do you have part numbers and prices or links to the parts you used? My wiper motor also stopped working, so I will be looking into this soon. I will also check the ground strap first.
The motor part number is 5044762 and will cross-reference to 7 or 8 other numbers, all the same part. I found it on eBay for $76. Most of the ones there seem to have the motor cap painted black, so I'll paint it silver to match what was original. I saw some rebuilt ACDelco on there for around $300, but could not justify the price difference. The washer pump is 4918180 and I found an NOS one for $70 on eBay as well. I needed both parts.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:44 AM

As a follow up to this, I bought a rebuilt motor from Factory Alliance on eBay, and when it got here yesterday (purchased June 23), it didn't work. I found a bent armature that wouldn't allow the motor to park correctly, and once it was un-bent, the motor was too weak to even turn over twice. They were really good about sending me an almost-instant refund for my purchase, but I wanted a working motor! So now everyone in the world seems to carry the same two motors - the Cardone "new" 85-142 where they claim they build everything new to factory specs and "fix" issues found with the factory motors to make these better than new. Then you have the remanufactured 40-142 which is the factory piece that's been rebuilt, though I don't know what that entails. Those they spray paint all black like a madman with a rattle can. So my quest today is to go find a working wiper motor - Summit carries both the aforementioned motors, and I suppose I'll go with the "new" piece. I've been burned so many times over the past few months with "restored" original parts that I could choke. I have absolutely zero trust in anyone who tells me they can supply something that's as good as new, or who sells something that looks pretty online. Every time I've fallen for that I've lost big.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:44 PM

My lord, it works. It’s not hooked up to the wiper arms, mind you, but the motor goes ‘round and ‘round and stops and parks like it should. At least I confirmed my wiring and the motor functions.
Old July 4th, 2019, 04:11 AM

It's great when something you have been fighting with finally works.

Wayne
Old July 4th, 2019, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 35tac
It's great when something you have been fighting with finally works.

Wayne
The struggle is real!