General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1940 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:23 AM

1940 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

I’m not quite sure where to start my search, but I’m going to try here. My whole childhood I remember being in my grandfathers car. For car shows and parades, washing it or just backing it out onto the driveway to sit in it. It’s always been so important to both my grandparents.
Now a lot older and with fading memories, this car has become even more important to my grandfather (Nappy). He can no longer drive, but with help from the family we try and bring it to car shows, out for drives and my Nap likes to back it out into the driveway to sit in it, wash it, buff it. Whatever he can do. This car has been in movies, shows, and we even put it on the front lawn of my sisters house for my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary!
I would love if anyone could help me try and locate some more of this cars history. Any tips on how I can do that would be so greatly appreciated. I believe my grandfather is the maybe the 3rd owner. Not 100% sure. I would love to be able to collect any information or photos on its past. My grandfather would just be over the moon. I’ve wanted to put something together for him to show him that this car means a lot to me and our family too and that it won’t be forgotten or let go any time soon!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Me getting ready for a Santa Claus parade around 1998/1999

Annual fair that we attend
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:30 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Thanks for sharing the story of another great piece of Oldsmobile history... Definitely a sharp looking 40 Olds...
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:35 AM

Sammy, thanks for sharing the pics. Your grandfather's Olds is definitely something to be proud of. Have you tried to contact the DMV in your area? Depending on the state in which you live, you might be able to get information on previous owners of the car. Also, ask your grandfather where he lived when he bought it. You might be able to find the dealer that sold the car originally if your grandfather bought it locally.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cruzn 66
welcome to the group... Thanks for sharing the story of another great piece of oldsmobile history... Definitely a sharp looking 40 olds...
thank you
Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Sammy, thanks for sharing the pics. Your grandfather's Olds is definitely something to be proud of. Have you tried to contact the DMV in your area? Depending on the state in which you live, you might be able to get information on previous owners of the car. Also, ask your grandfather where he lived when he bought it. You might be able to find the dealer that sold the car originally if your grandfather bought it locally.
thank you, I will have to try and see what I can find out!
Old January 27th, 2022, 06:28 AM

The fire department where the 7 sons may have points-of-contact for the family.

Interesting, thanks for posting.
Old January 27th, 2022, 12:44 PM

Is this a Canadian car? If it is, check this site:

Vintage Vehicle Services

Last edited by Tri-Carb; January 27th, 2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old January 27th, 2022, 04:44 PM
Olds Fever

It would appear Sammy has taken a Hiatus since he has posted since April 2019...