General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Door Panel Questions

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2019, 10:46 AM

Door Panel Questions

On a '68 Cutlass, are there removable clips that the top of the interior door panel hang on? My doors don't have any - there is a built-in rest for the door panel (red) but nothing else. OPGI has some for sale, but I don't want to buy something I am not sure I need. The Fisher Body manual does not have a diagram or description of these.

https://www.opgi.com/product.asp?item=CH30524

The reason I am asking is I test fitted the passenger side panel and there is a good 1/4" gap between the vent window and the door panel (between the rubber vent window seal and the door panel, green). I see a slotted hole near the rear of the door (yellow) where a clip could be installed, but nothing near the front.

Thanks.

Old April 22nd, 2019, 12:06 PM

At the front and rear of the door (for the glass) is an anti rattle strip Grp. 10.710 PN 7660878. There is a metal piece for the panel that fits under the rear vent window bolt and a small screw near the edge of the door that hold that piece in place. Without this piece there will be a gap when you install the spring for the window crank. Look in the body manual at page 6-30. There you will see that piece I mention that bolt # 4 is holding. The panel is held against the door with that piece. I can't find a picture in the exploded views of several books, nor a part number. Go with that. If I find a name and number for that part, I will post it.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 08:17 PM

Thanks, that helped. I found two brackets. One is the one you refer to, and theother is unidentified. I still need a matching front bracket for the other door - does anybody w/ a junk 68 door have one they could spare?

Also, does anybody know what the other bracket/piece is for (the flatter one)?

Thanks.

Old April 23rd, 2019, 07:42 PM

That bracket you show has a left and a right. When you place it on the door the screw hole should line up. The one in your pic is a left. The flat one does not ring any bells. I have taken a bunch of these cars apart and the only thing I can think of is the rear carpet holder for power seats.
Old August 24th, 2019, 05:06 PM

I need a left side spring for the vent window crank and the bracket if anyone has one.