General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1969 Right Side Door Mirror Install

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2019, 11:05 AM

1969 Right Side Door Mirror Install

Hi.

My wife and I have a 1969 Holiday Coupe 442. It was ordered with and still retains the driver side remote rear view door mounted mirror.

I have purchased a mirror for the passenger side door and would like to mount it soon for the sake of better rear visibility while driving or backing up.

My question is this:
Obviously the passenger door is not drilled with the duplex "keyhole" openings to mount the door mirror and I am not sure if there are any reinforcements in the driver's door to allow the tightening of the mounting hardware and not distort the sheet metal of the door. If there are reinforcements in the driver's door, because the passenger door did not come with a door mounted mirror from Fisher Body, is it safe to assume that the reinforcements would be absent in the passenger door and extra care must be exercised during the installation?

I guess I am wondering if anyone else may have gone through this process and if you have a successful installation procedure, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance for reviewing and answering my post.

TR
Old April 15th, 2019, 04:17 PM

If you take the left mirror off, you can make a template and flip it over for the passenger side. If you are able to successfully make the key hole openings for the mirror, then it's just drop in mirror w/ gasket and tighten screws with Allen wrench and Bob's your Uncle.
Old April 15th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Randy C.

When I installed my passenger side mirror on a '69 4-4-2, I measured where the holes were for the driver side mirror and put the holes in the same spot on the passenger door. The two holes each have a slot where the attaching fasteners will fit through the holes and then slide into position into the slots. Once this is done, just tighten the two fasteners with an allen wrench and you should be done. There isn't any kind of reinforcement bar on the underside of where the mirror fits onto the door for either side. The two fasteners have large heads that snug up against the bottom side once the mirror assembly has been fitted into the slots.

I found that the side mirrors for '68 and '69 aren't really that good, but they are surely better than nothing! As well, you'll notice that a remote control driver side mirror doesn't match the passenger side mirror and that's OK. If a car was ordered with a remote driver side mirror, the passenger side mirror was considered a "dealer accessory" and came in just the standard mirror style, to be installed by the dealer. There are some members on this site whose cars are set up that way.

Randy C.
Old April 15th, 2019, 05:39 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The allens are not easy to get at. Getting them started is the trick. The fastener needs to balance on your fingertips. If you have good mechanical & physical dexterity you'll be fine. Think the 69s are a little easier as the vent window bulkhead isn't there but the side impact beam is. Id say pay attention to vent window interference but you ain't got nun...on a Holiday.

If you live in or close to Rottenchester Id say bring it over and I'll show you how to do it. Or I could swing by lend and shake a new hand. Salts almost washed off...long as mother whats her name (insert explicative here) is finished dropping that white stuff.
Steve
Old April 15th, 2019, 06:03 PM

Thanks to all who replied.
I plan on exploring the passenger door mirror install when I remove the panel on that door to check out my strange noises coming from the power window.
I agree with others, that the CO site is a wealth of information and great people.
Thanks again.
TR
Old April 24th, 2019, 10:23 AM

Hi. Got the mirror mounted. I only drilled two 1/4" diameter holes that matched the final location of the mirror screws. With some difficulty and the assistance of my wife, we were able to get the mirror fasteners through the metal and secure the mirror in the proper location. There wasn't much real estate to work in with my fingers to install the screws, but with the help of duct tape (booyah) we gotter done.
Thanks to all that replied.
TR