General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 CS Dash Speed Nut Needed

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2019, 06:44 AM

Question 72 CS Dash Speed Nut Needed

New to put my dash in and the speed nut that is located on the upper drivers side by the vent in mine broke. Has anyone found a replacement? I have tried a couple of other methods and have come up with nothing that will work short of trying to put a nut on it like the others that hold the dash. I got Oldspackrat on the look out for one but was hoping to get some ideas on how others have solved this conundrum.
Old April 4th, 2019, 07:50 AM

Question

Are you looking for the sheet metal Tinnerman nut that cuts threads on a non threaded post?
Old April 4th, 2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by My442
Are you looking for the sheet metal Tinnerman nut that cuts threads on a non threaded post?
Not sure if that is what its called, The post that screws into the dash has threads and this just grips the threads. It is the same post used in all the other locations that gets nuts.
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

It's called a "barrel nut" or "tubular barrel clip". Auto trim clip vendors sell them.

https://henrysautowarehouse.com/prod...-clip-tubular/
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's called a "barrel nut" or "tubular barrel clip". Auto trim clip vendors sell them.

https://henrysautowarehouse.com/prod...-clip-tubular/
Thanks Joe I called them beings they come in packs of 50 and all I need is one I asked if they could send a sample of one that closely matches the hole and stud. They are going to see what they can do.
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:53 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

A parts store (a good one) will have them on the "Help" racks in packs of 5 or 10. Dorman part number maybe. An auto body paint/trim supply house will have them as well in smaller packs. Don't rule out the large big box home supply houses. They have a large bank of drawers with hardware. Could buy just one if they have it. Fusick Year One OPG or any of the restoration houses will have them too, thou likely not in singular quantities.
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Don't rule out the large big box home supply houses. They have a large bank of drawers with hardware.
All of which are either empty or have the parts mis-located so you can't find what you need.
Old April 4th, 2019, 10:04 AM

A parts store (a good one) will have them on the "Help" racks in packs of 5 or 10. Dorman part number maybe. An auto body paint/trim supply house will have them as well in smaller packs. Don't rule out the large big box home supply houses. They have a large bank of drawers with hardware. Could buy just one if they have it. Fusick Year One OPG or any of the restoration houses will have them too, thou likely not in singular quantities.
I have pretty much exhausted all that is offered here in our parts stores, the issue is that the hole is about 1/4" to 5/16". I found plastic ones and that does not hold that side of the dash, it just pops back out. The place that Joe offered has metal ones that are big enough for the hole so as soon as I get those samples will let everyone know how it works. I can just barely get a nut on the stud, it may have to come down to this.
Old April 4th, 2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All of which are either empty or have the parts mis-located so you can't find what you need.
Precisely what has added to my frustration trying to find what I need.
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:38 AM

Tony, I've never removed one of these from a dash. But if you need it I can try to pull this without damaging it. This is on a 1972 Cutlass dash although I believe it was the same piece from 70-72. John

Old April 4th, 2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Tony, I've never removed one of these from a dash. But if you need it I can try to pull this without damaging it. This is on a 1972 Cutlass dash although I believe it was the same piece from 70-72. John

THAT'S IT JOHN!!!!!!

Give it a try yes please do
Old April 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM

Tony, send me a PM or email with your shipping address, I'll put this in a little box and send it your way. John

Old April 4th, 2019, 12:37 PM

PM Sent..........You nailed it John your the best.
Old April 4th, 2019, 06:22 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

AJ, I totally misunderstood you. This is what I thought you were talking about by the subject title and my interpretation of your first post.
The last place Id look for the clip 2blu is holding on to is a general purpose house of nuts n bolts.Hell, I doubt anyone reproduces that baby.
Steve
Old April 4th, 2019, 07:16 PM

AJ, I totally misunderstood you. This is what I thought you were talking about by the subject title and my interpretation of your first post.
The last place Id look for the clip 2blu is holding on to is a general purpose house of nuts n bolts.Hell, I doubt anyone reproduces that baby.
Steve

Steve, I have found some pretty strange items in the Lowes fastener section. But I was able to get this one out without breaking it. I don't have any cars finished, but I've got a lot of cars and parts to take pictures of and sometimes pull parts off of.