General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Craigslist find became even sweeter!

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2019, 07:09 PM

Craigslist find became even sweeter!

Hi All
Just wanted to share about my latest Craigslist purchases. I found a listing for a 1968 Olds 98 4 door hardtop at a price I considered good. So I went to check it out and decided to buy it. I've drug home several dead cars in the last few months so space at my place is limited. I asked if he could give me a week or so to finish dismantling a car I'd been slowly pulling parts off of. The seller, Wayne is a really nice guy and he said no problem. I'm not finding any rot in the car although the interior is ratty and the drivers door has heavy bondo in it. It would be nice to save this car but I'll likely end up parting it out as the cost to restore would be way more than the value of the finished car, and as you all know demand for 4 door cars is limited. When I call to schedule a time to pick it up he tells me he found something he'd bought years ago, but now that the Olds is going away he has no use for it and will give me a really good deal if I want to buy it. Its an Edelbrock 065 dual quad intake with two quadrajets and linkage. The intake is clean and so are the carbs, so I don't think it has many miles/hours on it. He did give me a really good deal, not sure which car I'll put it on but its too cool to not use it on something! John

Old March 30th, 2019, 07:11 PM

And the icing on the cake!

Old March 30th, 2019, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Interesting carb setup. Is there any linkage for the front carb?
Old March 30th, 2019, 11:14 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

That intake and carb set up is cool as hell.
Old March 30th, 2019, 11:47 PM

Now, thats what id call COOL!
Old March 31st, 2019, 12:32 AM

If both sets of secondaries opened up that would make SWEET, SWEET music!!!
Old March 31st, 2019, 06:01 AM

It is interesting how the Q-jets are placed front to back. I wondered why the adapters [risers] were on there. Without numbers on the carbs, they appear to be around 66 vintage with the side inlets.
Old March 31st, 2019, 06:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

The E-brock dual plane dual quad is a great manifold, even on the street. I'd loose the Qjet adapters and run a pair of E-brock 500 CFM carbs. I had the same setup on a 455 years ago (OK, they were actually Carter AFBs, since E-brock hadn't yet taken over production) with progressive linkage that pulled well over 14 MPG and turned high 11s in a 1971 Cutlass.
Old March 31st, 2019, 08:37 AM

WOW !!!!!!! That is definitely a COOL item. Lucky YOU !!!!!!!!!
Old March 31st, 2019, 02:45 PM
Olds Fever

Congrats on the intake setup... Interesting how the carbs are setup...
Old March 31st, 2019, 03:27 PM
Administrator

The dual "quads" is what makes it unique from all the other Edelbrock setups out there.
Old March 31st, 2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The dual "quads" is what makes it unique from all the other Edelbrock setups out there.
Eric, your previous question about the linkage to the front carb. I am missing some parts of the linkage including something running forward to that front most carburetor. But since the carbs have the correct application for a couple project cars I've been collecting parts for I'll likely pull them rather than add what's needed to run as is. Joe's suggestion might be a cleaner setup as well. The cool factor of having multiple carbs is nice, but I also want to make it driveable on the street. This setup under full throttle would be pouring a lot of gas into the engine.
Old March 31st, 2019, 04:38 PM
MOTORHEAD

Holley or AFB "style" carbs would be much easier / user friendly
What you show in the pictures looks troublesome son.
NICE FIND

I had one of those intakes
But put tri carb on and sold 065
Old March 31st, 2019, 05:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
This setup under full throttle would be pouring a lot of gas into the engine.
Not really. There's no way any street motor will flow enough air to fully open the secondary air valves on two Qjets. You're not going to be pulling 1500 CFM.

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
Holley or AFB "style" carbs would be much easier
Actually, Holley carbs and the like won't fit. The center-to-center spacing only works with AFBs or 4GCs or similar carbs. Since it's dual plane, you can't mount the carbs sideways, either, unless you mount them in opposite directions and use a simultaneous linkage.
Old March 31st, 2019, 05:55 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Back to the 98. Hate to see cool old rot free sleds go to the crusher. That would make a cool dark sider sled cleaned up, bags, hoops, flat black, Von Dutch treatment. Ekstensive Texas Metal style. I'll bet you can make some $$ to the right crowd. If not I understand the parts biz...Allyolds may be interested in that power antenna?
Old March 31st, 2019, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Back to the 98. Hate to see cool old rot free sleds go to the crusher. That would make a cool dark sider sled cleaned up, bags, hoops, flat black, Von Dutch treatment. Ekstensive Texas Metal style. I'll bet you can make some $$ to the right crowd. If not I understand the parts biz...Allyolds may be interested in that power antenna?
There is a part of me that would like to save them all. Since we don't salt the roads out here and my part of the state is pretty dry there's a lot of old iron still laying in the weeds. The sun has weathered the vinyl top, the paint on the roof and deck lid. Except for the poor bodywork on the drivers door it does appear pretty solid. Back in the day I'm sure this was a nice highway cruiser and likely somebody's pride and joy. I am saving and planning to restore the 1969 Delta Royale and a 1969 Toronado with the W34 option. I've got another 1969 Toronado that a previous owner restored, but it sat for many years after that. I may clean it up and try to market it as a driver for someone else to bring it back. This car has very nice trim on it, most the chrome plated pot metal is perfect with no dots or spider lines in it. I'm thinking if someone has a nice 2 door or even a 4 door that's a nice driver already parts from this can help them fix up their cars. I doubt I'll do anything with the car right away so if someone really wanted to save it I'd be open to talk about it. I recently picked up a 1954 Olds 88 and 1955 Olds 98 parts cars, both 4 doors. I need to dismantle them first plus finish taking apart a 1978 Toronado. I've got several other parts cars but most of the rest I want to save to use when I restore some of the cars I'm planning to keep. Selling parts from dead cars will fund the restoration of the keepers I've collected. This is kind of the cycle I've gotten into for the last 20 or so years.
Old April 1st, 2019, 01:18 PM

A friend of mine had a 67 98 LS we use to cruise all over the place damn fine ride! Taught my wife then girlfriend to drive in her Mom's 70 98 LS, another damn fine ride that would haul ***. As for the two fours I have been running an Offenhauser 360 dual quad, with two Competition Series 500 cfm Carter's on my 68 442 with a 455 for over 30 years with zero issues get about 13.5 MPG on the highway. Around town about 8MPG! Oh but it's soooo much FUN! Joe
Old April 3rd, 2019, 09:32 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Another idea for all you non-salt non-rust belter parts entrepreneurs...Target these areas (the NE) in your Craigslistings. This will widen the audience. Some guys up here are just looking to flip a nice rot free car. By broadening the audience to a crowd that sees nothing older than 2007 in a bone yard; someone not typically looking for an Olds might toss their hat in the ring, especially with the rot free metal.
We unfortunates in this hell-hole AKA sunless-rotten-rust-overtax-over politician York, yearn for rot free cars.