General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

350 Main Bearings

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Oldscarnut

Red face 350 Main Bearings

The Machine shop guy called me to tell me he thinks I have the wrong main bearings. I bought them from Rock Auto for a 1968 350, and it was the only listing for Mahle/Clevite, which has always been my choice. He said there is an early version and later version which is news to me, having built two 350's , a 425 and a 455. Anyway, the main bearings I bought were .020 under Mahle/Clevite MS805P Does anyone know what the heck he's referring to? Thankfully he is doing the machine work and I'm building it, but when someone throws a monkey wrench into the works it discombobbles me. If they do not fit and he's right, I will have to replace them with something. I am not stubborn if you know another brand that you are happy with, let me know. My engine was a stock 350 2 Bbl with the original bearings still. I will be able to check them one against the other once I get it home but for now, What the heck is this all about?
Old March 27th, 2019, 01:36 PM

Misspacking is always an possibility. Seen one case, and funny enough it was 403 Olds with wrong bearings packed under Olds part-number. Also read about a case where 010 thrust bearings had somehow managed to get into 020 bearing set, and they wondered long and hard why did the crank jam when tightening corresponding bearing cap.
Old March 27th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Oldscarnut

That's what I also figured, if the fit is wrong, I ordered the correct part just got the wrong parts in the box. So I was right, there is no difference 1968- 87 Main Bearings. If I got the right diameter, then I'll look at the bearings I took out and see what is going on. Thanks...I always think I know Olds as well as anyone, but there are those who know more than I do too
Old March 27th, 2019, 02:40 PM

Never mind, I read back through your post and think I mis-understood you.
Old March 27th, 2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Cole
The Machine shop guy called me to tell me he thinks I have the wrong main bearings. I bought them from Rock Auto for a 1968 350, and it was the only listing for Mahle/Clevite, which has always been my choice. He said there is an early version and later version which is news to me, having built two 350's , a 425 and a 455. Anyway, the main bearings I bought were .020 under Mahle/Clevite MS805P Does anyone know what the heck he's referring to? Thankfully he is doing the machine work and I'm building it, but when someone throws a monkey wrench into the works it discombobbles me. If they do not fit and he's right, I will have to replace them with something. I am not stubborn if you know another brand that you are happy with, let me know. My engine was a stock 350 2 Bbl with the original bearings still. I will be able to check them one against the other once I get it home but for now, What the heck is this all about?
You might want to ASK HIM what the difference between "early" and "late" versions are. You may decide you don't want him doing your machine work. Have you worked with this guy before ?
Old March 28th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Considering that every single gasoline SBO uses the same bearings, the "early" and "late" thing pegs the meter.
Old March 28th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Oldscarnut

Not to worry, even the packing was right. There are always 2 sides to a bearing, and the poor guy just eyeballed it and said no way. While he was showing me no way, they snapped perfectly into place. So much for guess and by golly! He's an excellent machine shop, based upon how ridiculously busy he is, and since he's not building it, I am glad we cleared it up. Mahle/Clevite MS805P is the correct one as all of you pointed out. All is good but thanks for the confidence to go argue with him!
Old March 28th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Oldscarnut

Joe that was his question to me, whether there were early and late versions, which I said I did not think so. It required a trip to the shop where I saw my block almost done >YIPPEE. He's balancing the crank and then hanging the pistons and it is all mine to put together. As it turned out, he thought the tangs were not centered or offset correctly by eyeball only. He's wearing his glasses now as I snapped them right in and they fit perfectly. Live and learn. If you want a great machine shop find the busy one in my point of view. If we were not friends I would have been worried a lot more. All is well now and I can get my garage prepped for a "clean" build. It is about a 2 weeks away now!