General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Misrepresentation or Outright Fraud, or Both?

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2019, 02:43 PM

Misrepresentation or Outright Fraud, or Both?

Does anyone have more information on a Sherwood Green 1970 Olds 442 W30 in the Mecum auction this past Saturday (3/16). It went for $147.5K. I looked at the listing last week and the picture of the engine bay showed it had E heads. I emailed Mecum Auctions and told them they had better take a double look at that listing because if the car came with the W30 option it should have F heads. Someone, from Mecum, emailed me back stating the guy restored it and he put in E heads. Nowhere in the listing did I see anything about incorrect heads. All I saw were words like “authentic, owner documented, etc.” That is a hell of a price to pay for a W30 with the wrong heads. Usually, cloning involves going up the food chain, not downward. I realize it is “Buyer Beware” and my dark side has little sympathy for someone who can buy at that price without doing their homework. However, I feel it is fraudulent that these auction houses are auctioning off misrepresented cars and especially when it is brought to their attention. I accidentally came upon a 2016 Barrett Jackson Auction and that same Sherwood Green ’70 Olds 442 W30 ended up costing the buyer $165K. Of course I don’t know what the extra costs were over the final bid, but that was the final price the buyer paid. It is not helping the hobby at all!
Old March 18th, 2019, 03:01 PM

When the only tool in your toolbox is a checkbook, the hobby stuff becomes secondary.

People who have that kind of disposable income are not usually the "numbers" folks.
Old March 18th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by My442
When the only tool in your toolbox is a checkbook, the hobby stuff becomes secondary.

People who have that kind of disposable income are not usually the "numbers" folks.
^^^^^^^^^^ X2^^^^^^^^^^ It was represented by the owner through the auction. I see no issues. I'm sure the person who purchased the car has more than 10X the coin he spent on the car he wanted to own. I'm sure he is more than happy with what he bought.

Eric
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Joe P already started a discussion thread.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-malarkey.html