What's the method for debating the veracity of an ad? - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > General > General Discussion
What's the method for debating the veracity of an ad? >

What's the method for debating the veracity of an ad?

General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Old March 14th, 2019, 01:15 PM

Noticing Joe's comment on not so much editorializing in an ad, what is the way to report an ad you think is fraudulent?

Use the report a post feature? Link a picture of a no B.S icon? Be helpful in such a manner that he either puts up proof or shuts
up like I did to a guy a couple weeks back?

Old March 14th, 2019, 06:20 PM

Define verocity of an ad. I mean what are you questioning?
Old March 14th, 2019, 09:18 PM

Truthfulness. Like it's a blatant clone. Or it's not what he says it is. Or it's a rare W-30 part that came on every Cutlass, etc.

We can see high prices, but people who don't know might be taken in by lies.
Old March 15th, 2019, 05:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think the word you want is veracity.
Old March 15th, 2019, 05:56 AM

Do you mean ads on our website?

If someone is posting something for sale and asking way too much (because it's a supposedly rare or a unique part) then call them on it. Ask them why their asking so much given that the part is actually quite common or readily available.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
Do you mean ads on our website?

If someone is posting something for sale and asking way too much (because it's a supposedly rare or a unique part) then call them on it. Ask them why their asking so much given that the part is actually quite common or readily available.
First of all, a seller has the right to ask whatever they want. The deafening silence in response will be more than enough feedback if the price is out of line. As I said in the other thread, if you want to play price cop, take it to FB. Frankly, I have enough trouble with cheap @$$ people who can't spend $20 on a CSM and want someone else to buy the book, scan the wiring diagram, and post it so they can have it for free. One person's idea of value is very different from another's. Comments on the applications of an item or clarifications to an ad are certainly fair. Calling out a misrepresented item is a grey area. I personally don't mind if done tactfully, but that can go bad in a hurry.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:24 AM
"me somebody" site member

In “My CousinVinny”, pretty sure he pronounced it “verocity” (in the scene when he asks for a continuance after the tech expert played by James Rebhorn was called to testify by the prosecution).
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Thats when the "two yoots" were on trial, I remember it well.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:47 AM

I spelled it right in the OP.

I was asking because of two things, 1: Joe mentioned no more editorializing in the ads, and 2, Eric and I disagreed on my reply to a 442 ad which I thought was a clone (we have since agreed, no beef, only using it as an example) where I explained how to authenticate the car in great deal, because I suspected it was a clone, and he would either have to put up or shut up, and he shut up.

Tactfully point things out and don't go south seems to be the way.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Tactfully point things out and don't go south seems to be the way.
x2
Old March 15th, 2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
First of all, a seller has the right to ask whatever they want. The deafening silence in response will be more than enough feedback if the price is out of line. As I said in the other thread, if you want to play price cop, take it to FB. Frankly, I have enough trouble with cheap @$$ people who can't spend $20 on a CSM and want someone else to buy the book, scan the wiring diagram, and post it so they can have it for free. One person's idea of value is very different from another's. Comments on the applications of an item or clarifications to an ad are certainly fair. Calling out a misrepresented item is a grey area. I personally don't mind if done tactfully, but that can go bad in a hurry.
I am with Joe P on the "price cop" thing. There are people who list parts at a bizarre price. You see them bumping the item monthly and no sale. Threats of listing it on BAT, Ebay and other sites if it doesn't sell is meaningless. There seems to be people coming on the site recently to just sell something. CO is a good place to come and enjoy.
.........Just my two cents worth.
Old March 15th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Jeff

I like what I'm seeing here with the responses. I hate the comments or replies to ads that someone is asking too much. The market will bear out if someone is asking too much by the car / part / whatever going unsold. It will then be up to the seller to make a price adjustment. That also goes for the people reposting someone's ad from another site here, or on FB, and people doing the whole price police routine. It never hurts to start high, maybe there is someone out there looking for an original / restored / particular optioned / etc car you have, and maybe they will overpay or pay at the high water mark. Good for the seller, good for the buyer. Everyone got what they wanted.

I'm also for knowledgeable people fact-checking an ad, in a respectful way. Just being on this site has been quite a learning experience, so when I sell my car, I'll be crawling underneath to check the numbers on the slimjim and getting the numbers off my block. I feel like if I don't, one of you will ask, anyway.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:29 PM

Classified ads are not conversation threads. In my opinion there should not be any calling out within the forum. Any issues to authenticity should be through a PM, Email, or phone if number is provided. Read the rules link below, there is one posted as a sticky in each classified forum. Anything that is against forum rules will be deleted.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-posting.html
Old March 15th, 2019, 07:36 PM
72 Olds CS

eh i liked the old way of just editorializing in an ad
Old March 16th, 2019, 04:16 AM

Why has this become a problem just now? I didn't see any reported posts in the For Sale forum or see a thread that was closed because of flaming and name calling?
Old March 16th, 2019, 07:43 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
Why has this become a problem just now? I didn't see any reported posts in the For Sale forum or see a thread that was closed because of flaming and name calling?
It could be from the 2 recent threads that involved Billions and Trillions along with the thread posting an inherited frame off resto car that ended up sitting in a grassy field, then being on a trailer in someones driveway, to taking possession of immaculate condition 68 cutlass parts. I feel, that just didn't sit well with many of us.
Even thou, pricing, and some posts just don't make sense at times, its difficult to bite the tongue, but we all do. I do think we are lucky to see
our moderators take care of things PDQ, they get on it these people when they find cause to think us members are going to get screwed. So they deserve a shout out every now and again. They have our backs in most cases.
Everything works well here IMO.
Old March 16th, 2019, 08:28 AM

It's not a problem, but I have an issue with a couple things. I've been here a long time, and I contribute. I deserve better than to have my posts arbitrarily deleted after I put time into writing them by one moderator, acting alone, based off of his interpretation of the rules.

The valuable part of this forum is the database, not the website url, or who owns it. This forum does not belong to the moderators; the url is paid for by internet brands and advertising, but the content is owned by the people who post it. Therefore, I'm a shareholder of this website, based on the fact that my time and effort went into the bank of knowledge that is here, as all of us are. I did not get a choice in who represents us in moderating; the moderators are appointed. I'm in favor of electing moderators, as a community mostly in the United States should be based on being a republic with democratically elected representatives, like anything in the USA is, from Congress, to a club, to a home owners' association. I have had to threaten to take moderators' actions to the general discussion forum before after I was wronged. I did not enjoy doing that, nor do I want to do it again.

My point here is that this is more than a web forum to the regulars that have been here for years, and we ought to have more than those rules, which are unable to be appealed, regulated by moderators, who are unable to be questioned. Like, I could be banned, for this one post, by one moderator, and I couldn't do anything about it. That's not good.
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:33 AM

Like, I could be banned, for this one post, by one moderator, and I couldn't do anything about it. That's not good.
There's no reason to ban someone just because they post their thoughts on a charged subject. Sorry you've had a bad experience with our site in the past. I've found that contributing to online forums is a tricky game.

As far as "electing" moderators to enforce rules that weren't voted on by members, I don't know how well this would work. As far as I know the website rules (i.e. no politics, prices on for sale ads, no spamming, etc.) were established by the site administrators / owners. I hope being a moderator isn't something that has been abused by folks in the past. Most of the time I find myself combining threads or deleting posts because their against forum rules. I guess it might be different for others since I'm not as active as other moderators.
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:34 PM

It's not a problem, but I have an issue with a couple things. I've been here a long time, and I contribute. I deserve better than to have my posts arbitrarily deleted after I put time into writing them by one moderator, acting alone, based off of his interpretation of the rules.

The valuable part of this forum is the database, not the website url, or who owns it. This forum does not belong to the moderators; the url is paid for by internet brands and advertising, but the content is owned by the people who post it. Therefore, I'm a shareholder of this website, based on the fact that my time and effort went into the bank of knowledge that is here, as all of us are. I did not get a choice in who represents us in moderating; the moderators are appointed. I'm in favor of electing moderators, as a community mostly in the United States should be based on being a republic with democratically elected representatives, like anything in the USA is, from Congress, to a club, to a home owners' association. I have had to threaten to take moderators' actions to the general discussion forum before after I was wronged. I did not enjoy doing that, nor do I want to do it again.

My point here is that this is more than a web forum to the regulars that have been here for years, and we ought to have more than those rules, which are unable to be appealed, regulated by moderators, who are unable to be questioned. Like, I could be banned, for this one post, by one moderator, and I couldn't do anything about it. That's not good.
I'm the mod that deleted and reinstated your post after discussing it with other mods. I sent you a pm explaining why as it could be interpreted differently. I felt your unsolicited advice was condescending and bordered on thread crapping. You also answered back that "you agreed you needed to work on your delivery and you thought it might be a clone". I can post the conversation if you'd like? As far as the site being a democracy, its not and rules are in place for a reason. Read the classified rules, they are not arbitrarily enforced.
Old March 19th, 2019, 08:52 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Groups like this that are privately owned are not a democracy,more like a dictatorship with people appointed to watch over things.This is a private entity and it is a privilege to belong,not a right. This is the owners house,abide by their rules.
A person voluntarily offers their knowledge here to be added to the data base,once you post here,you no longer own those words,they belong to the data base owner.
If anyone here could be considered a "shareholder",with the large amount of knowledge shared and time spent here,it would be Joe P. Even his "shareholder" status is not secure,he can be removed at any time without his permission and have no legal recourse to recover any of his words.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; March 19th, 2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old March 20th, 2019, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
I'm the mod that deleted and reinstated your post after discussing it with other mods. I sent you a pm explaining why as it could be interpreted differently. I felt your unsolicited advice was condescending and bordered on thread crapping. You also answered back that "you agreed you needed to work on your delivery and you thought it might be a clone". I can post the conversation if you'd like? As far as the site being a democracy, its not and rules are in place for a reason. Read the classified rules, they are not arbitrarily enforced.
Yeah, I was placating you. You're the only one that deletes my posts, and I wanted to make sure it was you. I'm well aware the site isn't a democracy; I am saying it SHOULD be, because it would prevent abuse of power.
Old March 20th, 2019, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin View Post
Groups like this that are privately owned are not a democracy,more like a dictatorship with people appointed to watch over things.This is a private entity and it is a privilege to belong,not a right. This is the owners house,abide by their rules.
A person voluntarily offers their knowledge here to be added to the data base,once you post here,you no longer own those words,they belong to the data base owner.
If anyone here could be considered a "shareholder",with the large amount of knowledge shared and time spent here,it would be Joe P. Even his "shareholder" status is not secure,he can be removed at any time without his permission and have no legal recourse to recover any of his words.
Ah yes, the "house" analogy. Doesn't fly; this is digital, not analog. I'll show you why. Firstly, there's about 2000 years of copyright law saying you own your words, including ones on an internet forum. The "you agree to these terms when you joined" is not legally enforceable, and people have sued, and won, for having their posts deleted (although, IIRC, it's usually about being gay or similar, and the deletion is discrimination.) Secondly, there's common sense. If all of us left, the site would be worthless. Look at realoldspower.com. Site is going down faster than a cheap hooker, and it used to be a great place. Lastly, it's not a privilege to belong here, it's a privilege to the site that I post and contribute, just like you or anyone else. I could log out, and read stuff, like 95% of the traffic here does. Instead, I choose to contribute, and I have helped people. I hope that helps clear up my point.
Old March 20th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Koda, if your that unhappy with this site I'd say its time to leave. After you stop coming on someone in the distant future may ask... I wonder what happened to, and snap their fingers twice, and you will be referred to as old whats his name. Thread closed