General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Turn Signal Lever Indexed Incorrectly?

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2019, 10:59 AM
1968 442 Convertible

Turn Signal Lever Indexed Incorrectly?

My '68 Cutlass turn signal lever is pointing about 15 degrees down rather than slightly up. I'm guessing when the turn signal switch was replaced, something was put back together out of index.
By the way, this is non-tilt, auto shift column.
The weird thing is that the shifter appears to be in the correct orientation.
I've been into a few tilt GM columns (to fix the loose 1/4-28 screws), and I don't recall there being a way to get the index off on the turn signal stalk. Who knows, maybe things are different on a non-tilt unit?
Anyone know what might be going on here? Anyone got a parts explosion showing the column assembly?
Old March 4th, 2019, 02:12 PM

If the four way switch is in the correct position it is almost impossible for the turn lever to be wrong unless it is bent. I am changing a '68 non tilt switch right now and it only fits together one way.
Old March 4th, 2019, 04:43 PM
1968 442 Convertible

Hi Yellowstatue!

Is that a '58? Nice colors! Did you know up until '58, it was illegal to have dual head lamps? That's when all the car companies went wild. They put twins on everything.
Edit: Just saw in your signature that it's a '57 hardtop. Nice, don't see those everyday! Also see you have a stable full of '68's.

Lever doesn't appear to be bent.

Today I received an electronic Factory Shop Manual and it has a section with column repair. Says something about aligning the lock ring with marks made before disassembly, so maybe it can get out of index. I'll know more when I tear it down in a few weeks to replace the old signal lever (peeling chrome) and add a new steering wheel.

Last edited by bry593; March 4th, 2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old March 4th, 2019, 04:48 PM

So I haven't finished my install yet because I can't get the cover assembly to bottom out in the bowl and then rotate clockwise to lock in place. Maybe your assembly did not rotate and lock in? Page 9a-9, 10, 11 etc.
Old March 4th, 2019, 07:44 PM
1968 442 Convertible

Could be. Will keep an eye out for that.
I'm learning that these '67-'68 columns are a bit odd from other years. Took me awhile to chase down the lower column bearing. Mine was totaled. Finally found one at Heartbeat Camaro.
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:07 AM

The Olds is a '57. There were a few states that did allow quad headlamps. '57 Turnpike Cruiser for one, had quads
Old March 15th, 2019, 07:26 AM
1968 442 Convertible

Well, you were correct. The previous owner’s mechanic did not get the lock ring engaged. I pulled up on the steering wheel and the signal stalk is now pointing south. Fortunately previous owner only had car about a year. Everything his mechanic touched I am having to correct:
1. Broke off screw in new wheel cylinder
2. Only one screw in lower shock attachment
3. Original distributor thrown in trash, improperly wired hei with aftermarket air cleaner
4. Turn signal switch installed but did not connect lock ring
5. Speedi plug to replace freeze plug
6. New water pump but pulley has 3/16 runout for some reason
7. Oil sender wire ran fron sender and soldered directly to pin connector at gauge
8. Brake distribution block removed from frame, twisted into new position to allow for shortened original damaged line
9. Factory bench replaced with buckets but did not add inner mounting brackets
10. Underhood wire harness disaster (i replaced with new AAW.

and the list goes on... who knows what i’ll find next.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:27 PM

Isn't it fun to be messing around with your car. Snow is almost gone. Waiting for rain pre-rinse to remove salt from roads. Pray it doesn't rain after grader races down road. Quagmire! Warm enough to work on car with garage door open. Birds singing, geese landing, herons looking for lunch. Tra la la.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:38 PM
Administrator

No telling what previous owners did to these cars over the years. Sounds like you have quite a job ahead to get things corrected. I would go over all safety items before attempting to put it on the road.
Old March 16th, 2019, 05:14 AM
1968 442 Convertible

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Isn't it fun to be messing around with your car. Snow is almost gone. Waiting for rain pre-rinse to remove salt from roads. Pray it doesn't rain after grader races down road. Quagmire! Warm enough to work on car with garage door open. Birds singing, geese landing, herons looking for lunch. Tra la la.
As of last weekend, the salt has been rained away here in Broken Arrow. Current temps are 28 degrees, but the high today is 59F. This is my favorite time of year, not too hot and not too cold. It will soon be convertible weather, and I'm in the shop nearly every night trying to work all the bugs out of the '68 to enjoy Spring cruising. I really want to have it mobile by Easter since the church hosts an egg hunt and a few of us traditionally bring the family in our classic cars. Sort of a mini car show.
Old March 16th, 2019, 08:27 AM

Thursday +9 C. Today +1 C. Too cool for cruising yet. Come on Easter.