General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Extra holes underside of 70 OAI hood?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2019, 01:59 PM

Extra holes underside of 70 OAI hood?

I am working on an original 70 OAI hood. On the steel frame on the

drivers side near the front there are three holes. These are similar to the rest of the front of the steel frame, but there is only one hole more centered on the passenger side. Did this come this way from the factory? It looks like the guy punching the holes put a couple extra ones in there?

Pat

Old February 25th, 2019, 03:29 PM

Would be surprising that Olds let that out the door, would have been scrapped when they punched thru the edge.
Old February 25th, 2019, 03:37 PM

I have two holes on the driver’s side, not centered like the single one on the passenger side.

Old February 25th, 2019, 03:45 PM

I take that back. I have it as well, and that pointed bit where my screwdriver tip is pointing matches yours.

Old February 25th, 2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
I take that back. I have it as well, and that pointed bit where my screwdriver tip is pointing matches yours.

Interesting... I wonder if this was done on purpose? As we know the hood rarely lines up with the fender in this area due to the shape of the hood. Perhaps they were relieving stress in the frame with the extra holes?

Pat
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddy
Interesting... I wonder if this was done on purpose? As we know the hood rarely lines up with the fender in this area due to the shape of the hood. Perhaps they were relieving stress in the frame with the extra holes?

Pat
I can't even imagine. I guess others would have to chime in, but there must be quite a few (or all) done this way. And that pointed bit doesn't do anyone any favors - you see how mine was buried in silicone caulking, probably to protect the fingers and clothes of anyone who opened the hood by grabbing right there....
Old February 26th, 2019, 04:47 AM

These holes are in the same place as the steel hood which were access to the hood "OLDSMOBILE" Emblem on the steel hood. Possibly ease of production or maybe at one point GM was to put the emblem on the fiberglass hood before final production??? At risk of controversy, i will take it one step further the steel frame is the same for both steel and fiberglass hoods. The steel was trimmed/modified to accommodate the fiberglass hood. I myself had taken a steel hood frame apart to replace a rotted fiberglass hood frame on two occasions in years past.
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 68442
These holes are in the same place as the steel hood which were access to the hood "OLDSMOBILE" Emblem on the steel hood. Possibly ease of production or maybe at one point GM was to put the emblem on the fiberglass hood before final production??? At risk of controversy, i will take it one step further the steel frame is the same for both steel and fiberglass hoods. The steel was trimmed/modified to accommodate the fiberglass hood. I myself had taken a steel hood frame apart to replace a rotted fiberglass hood frame on two occasions in years past.
Bingo! That totally makes sense. I am sure they did start with the steel frame from a regular hood.

Pat