General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Smoky Mountains Gathering

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2019, 10:25 AM

Smoky Mountains Gathering

This is something I have been thinking about for a long while now. My family goes to the Smoky's as often as time and money will allow. We have also trailered a couple cars down there and drove around the mountains in them. I was wondering if others would want to meet up for a group drive around the mountains sometime? Or maybe someone from that area knows of one that already takes place? I have heard that someone is creating a group of Oldsmobile prople to drive the Tail of the Dragon, would anyone know anything about this?

If my 62 Jetfire is done on time for the 2020 nationals in Tennessee, my wife and I plan to go to the smokys and drive it around for a couple days before the show.

Any thoughts on getting a group of us together down there for a drive in the mountains? We stay in Pigeon Forge because it is easy to get to Cades Cove and also easy to get to the park on Newfound Gap road using the Gatlinburg bypass.
Old February 11th, 2019, 06:44 PM

What I have heard is the Tail of the Dragon is a G body event??? Did you receive my email on the 2nd/3rd?

Don W
Old February 11th, 2019, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
What I have heard is the Tail of the Dragon is a G body event??? Did you receive my email on the 2nd/3rd?

Don W
It could be a G body thing. Another Olds guy was telling about something going on down there as a memorial drive or something.

I got the email about the manual. I had replied that I had an extra. Is that the email?
Old February 11th, 2019, 06:57 PM

Yes, manual email. I did not see the reply.
If something is planned let me know, I may attend if I can.
Don W
Old February 13th, 2019, 02:55 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I'd be up for a gathering in the East TN Smokies. Tail of the Dragon? No thanks there are plenty more better roads with less crotch rocket mentality riders on them. I've done US129 plenty of times in a Corvette and wouldn't consider putting my drum brake D88 on that road.
Old February 13th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by btw
I'd be up for a gathering in the East TN Smokies. Tail of the Dragon? No thanks there are plenty more better roads with less crotch rocket mentality riders on them. I've done US129 plenty of times in a Corvette and wouldn't consider putting my drum brake D88 on that road.
I agree with that completely. I just mentioned it because I had head someone was going to make a yearly drive there with Oldsmobiles. Not sure who or any details. I would think the Foothills Parkway with the new section or up to Newfound Gap, Clingmans dome. At this point I am leaning towards 2020 but if there is enough people wanting to do it this year I may be able to swing it using my wife's automatic Jetfire.
Old February 13th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Depending on when, I think it would be interesting. Subscribed to see what happens.