General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Whats wrong with my 307?

Old February 10th, 2019, 08:16 AM

Whats wrong with my 307?

I just installed a new ps belt because the old ripped in 2 pieces.After i cranked her up with the new belt,it squeals as hell and the belt is getting ultra hot so the ps pulley itself too. Somebody had the same problem? I dont know what to do.A new ps pump or just the pulley?
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:32 AM

It's not the belt, although you need a new one. Spin the ps pump by hand, if it feels rough, time for a new pump.
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
It's not the belt, although you need a new one. Spin the ps pump by hand, if it feels rough, time for a new pump.
A broken pump can make the belt gets so hot?
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have never seen a PS pump go bad but I would check it closely. Is the A/C belt still in place? If not, it will squeal and burn the power steering belt right off, too much load for one belt driven off the crank.
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I have never seen a PS pump go bad but I would check it closely. Is the A/C belt still in place? If not, it will squeal and burn the power steering belt right off, too much load for one belt driven off the crank.
The ac belt is off, but the compressor is still on. Since 2k miles the ac belt is off and now it squeals as **** and the ps belt gets to hot to touch. Im so frustrated and dont know where to start. You think first try with ac belt on?I would unplug the compressor and use just the pulley for more balance on the diagram right?
Old February 10th, 2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 87Brougham307
A broken pump can make the belt gets so hot?
Yeah. This is elementary engineering. A belt just doesn't "get hot," it has to get the heat, which is energy, from someplace. It's going to get warm just from the combustion heat from the block, but, if it gets hot, you have friction someplace. Unless the belt is grossly deformed, or the pulley is, you are getting the heat from a failing bearing in one of the pulleys. This is why I said to take the belt off, and turn the pulley pump by hand, to see if its bearing is going out.

Do you understand now?
Old February 10th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Yeah. This is elementary engineering. A belt just doesn't "get hot," it has to get the heat, which is energy, from someplace. It's going to get warm just from the combustion heat from the block, but, if it gets hot, you have friction someplace. Unless the belt is grossly deformed, or the pulley is, you are getting the heat from a failing bearing in one of the pulleys. This is why I said to take the belt off, and turn the pulley pump by hand, to see if its bearing is going out.

Do you understand now?
As we had all the belts off we turned the pulleys and they were all good,spinning as they should be thats why the mechanic said its the ps pump. I red now that 307 without a ac belt on can squeal also so im gonna put a ac belt back on and check again. If it still squeals what should i get only the ps pulley or a new pump?
Old February 10th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Administrator

If nothing is binding, then the belt wasn't tight enough.
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:45 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I agree with (other) Eric. the p/s belt needs to be very tight, much tighter than the alternator belt.
As I recall from my 307 powered Cutlass the a/c and p/s were driven directly from the crankshaft pulley, and the alternator from another pulley on the water pump.
If the p/s belt is doing all the work and isn't real tight it will slip.
If you don't want the a/c you can swap in pulleys and belt from a non a/c system with the alternator driven directly from the crankshaft pulley.

Roger.
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I agree with (other) Eric. the p/s belt needs to be very tight, much tighter than the alternator belt.
As I recall from my 307 powered Cutlass the a/c and p/s were driven directly from the crankshaft pulley, and the alternator from another pulley on the water pump.
If the p/s belt is doing all the work and isn't real tight it will slip.
If you don't want the a/c you can swap in pulleys and belt from a non a/c system with the alternator driven directly from the crankshaft pulley.

Roger.
I just bought the belt and im on my way home. Wish me luck. Ill post a update.Thanks
Old February 10th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Is it time for another belt squealing thread? Once again, be sure you tension the PS pump properly.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lt-squeal.html
Old February 11th, 2019, 09:33 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Is it time for another belt squealing thread? Once again, be sure you tension the PS pump properly.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lt-squeal.html
About the right time of year Joe. When Spring arrives attention will be turned to oil and filters, pest damage on winter stored cars, radiators and fans are due when the hot weather arrives....

Roger.