General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

71 Cutlass Conv. need advice

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2019, 09:24 PM

71 Cutlass Conv. need advice

Hi, Everyone! Im new to the site. I have started a project I regret. Need Advice... Shall I sell or try and complete?

Old February 10th, 2019, 04:42 AM

How much you have into it and how much do you need to break even? If your planning to make a profit it might be hard? Probably need more details of what's going to be finished product. Is that a Chevy BB?
That is a serious customization of a classic so your market will be limited. You never know though?
Old February 10th, 2019, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. I moved your thread and edited the title. Theres not enough info to provide an accurate answer, need a better description on whats been done, and whats left. What remaining parts and condition, etc
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. It would help to know why you "regret" this project. Bottom line is that you'll be lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar if you sell it in this condition. Of course, even finished, you'll never get back what you have in it. Custom cars like this are very subjective, so unless you find the one person with both your same tastes and enough money, you'll find this a difficult sell.
Old February 10th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Am I seeing this wrong? Is that not a non-boxed chassis he's built on to put under a convertible? Motor appears to be Oldsmobile, no? Edlbrock hi rise manifold?

On another note: That's a lot of time and money just to give up. From the looks of the shop this is not your first go around, so as previously asked what's your reason for throwing in the towel?

Last edited by zeeke; February 10th, 2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by zeeke
Am I seeing this wrong? Is that not a non-boxed chassis he's built on to put under a convertible? Motor appears to be Oldsmobile, no? Edlbrock hi rise manifold?
Good eye. Yup, that's a hardtop frame. Not a good choice under a convert body. Yes, that's an Olds motor. Looks like a Torker intake?
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:09 AM

I'm guessing OP "started" the project by acquiring some stuff cheap and wants to know how to liquidate it for profit.
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm guessing OP "started" the project by acquiring some stuff cheap and wants to know how to liquidate it for profit.
There isn't going to be any profit here. The $1700 psuedo-serpentine drive will be lucky to fetch half of that. The market for an expensively-painted red hardtop frame is almost non-existent, so one won't ever recover the cost to prep and paint it.
Old February 11th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Bfg

Looks like you have too many irons in the fire! Maybe take up a different hobby, perhaps stamp collecting! My wife suggested that to me once. All you need is a closet shelf.