General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Remote side mirror

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2019, 03:40 AM

Remote side mirror

While I am waiting on the paint shop to finish up my Cutlass, I have been going through the trim pieces and fixing what needs to fixed and replacing what's bad. Now I'm looking at the side mirror.
I have a '71 Cutlass Supreme 'vert and although the remote driver's side mirror is in very good condition, I'm not sure if it is stock or not. Some people have told me that the mirror is meant for a '68-69 Cutlass and that a remote mirror was not offered for '71. Personally, I have no idea.
Here is a pic. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by chip-powell; February 5th, 2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old February 5th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chip-powell
While I am waiting on the paint shop to finish up my Cutlass, I have been going through the trim pieces and fixing what needs to fixed and replacing what's bad. Now I'm looking at the side mirror.
I have a '71 Cutlass Supreme 'vert and although the remote driver's side mirror is in very good condition, I'm not sure if it is stock or not. Some people have told me that the mirror is meant for a '68-69 Cutlass and that a remote mirror was not offered for '71. Personally, I have no idea.
Here is a pic. Any help would be appreciated.
"Some people" are wrong...

RPO D33, Mirror, Remote-Control Outside Rearview was a $12.64 option for the 1971 model year. The reason why "some people" don't think it is original is because these days every single 70-72 Cutlass you see has had the sport mirrors added (in addition to a repro O.A.I. hood and a repro wing...). I suspect none of these people were actually alive when these cars were new. FYI, the 1968-69 outside chrome mirrors ARE different from those used in the 1970-72 model years due to the different shape of the tops of the doors.
Old February 5th, 2019, 07:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

It's a period correct mirror for your 71. The trim bezel is slightly different than the one for the Sport mirrors IIRC. What I always thought was a shame is there is no matching passenger side remote mirror. I had this mirror on my first 72 Cutlass S. I almost wore off the plating from polishing it so much, but it was a nice option.
Old February 5th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
"Some people" are wrong....
Actually "some people" are 2 friends of mine that are Chevelle owners that always like to try to get on my case for being an Olds guy. I just keep pointing out to them that Chevelles are like a$$h0l$, everyone has one, and that an Olds Cutlass is an "upscale" version of a Chevelle. That usually quiets them down for a while, until we find something else to rag on each other about.

Joe, Thanks for the info on the mirror. Although I remember them from when I was a kid, I just couldn't remember if they were just a standard GM mirror, or specific to certain makes and models. At least now I know it's correct.