General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stock Cruise Control Fix for your EdelBrock Intake

Old February 4th, 2019, 11:11 AM

Stock Cruise Control Fix for your EdelBrock Intake

My car come from the factory with cruise control but by the time I got it everything under the hood was gone but the regulator. So the hunt was on to get all the linkages and the servo, Thanks to OldsAl I have everything. But when I went to install the bell crank to operate the carburetor throttle it would not fit. I have the Olds350 Edlebrock intake and the intake bolts set differently than the stock. One bolt head keeps the bell crank base from fitting. Not wanting to give up the performance I put my Engineering hat on and this is what I come up with. So here are the pictures to show you how to remedy this problem.
I have not been able to take it out for a road test yet as I am not done with my restoration but static testing show it should work smoothly as simple as this is.

As you see it will not fit the holes needed to attach.

As you see you need to use the holes provided to align the roller center of the cam.

This is the bolt head that is messing things up.

You will need to grind this area of the base to allow clearance for the bolt head. I also cut off the outer bolt hole of the valve cover side tang to clean up the look.

Get four thick washers and place over these two holes. This spaces the bell crank roller up on the cam for proper operation to get full throttle travel.

If you have this type of cam on your carburetor you will need to cut off this tab. It is not used any way.

Assemble your bell crank linkage with the servo rod. Then bolt it down and pull on the rod to verify full travel of the throttle and no interference's.

In stall servo bracket and servo, put a dab of grease on the servo ball end, adjust the clearance of the bell crank roller to carburetor cam to .030 with the throttle on the slow idle cam.

Completed install
Old February 6th, 2019, 07:07 AM

Tony you have done a beautiful job on your cruise control setup. Your engineering background sure came in handy on the adjustable linkage setup. Looks great. You should have many years of excellent service from that servo too. Great attention to detail. Glad I could help with the cruise control parts. Definitely one of my favourite options on my 72 W30 convertible. It works as well as my modern driver.

Last edited by OldsAl; February 10th, 2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old February 6th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Thank you Al and I say yours looks really nice.
Hope to meet you sometime with our rides, sounds like we are a lot alike. And are cars will most likely show it.