Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > General > General Discussion
Do 1972 350 A Bodies with AT use these Tabs to Retain the Wiring Harness? >

Do 1972 350 A Bodies with AT use these Tabs to Retain the Wiring Harness?

General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Do 1972 350 A Bodies with AT use these Tabs to Retain the Wiring Harness?

Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph View Post
A bigger pic would help a lot. I am wondering if its installed on the wrong side and the wrong place.
That was my thought also. It should be on the front (drivers side) of the intake. There are so many raised and tapped bosses on these manifolds it could be easy to mistake, but the lift is uniform in design and can't be installed backwards.

EDIT: This picture shows the lift position very clearly.

Last edited by Allan R; February 23rd, 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old February 24th, 2019, 08:16 AM

Sorry I’m late to the party. Colt I have all levels of battery tubes I have my new reproductions but I also have originals I could sell you an original automatic battery tube with an original bracket, for $40 shipped. Its in the bottom of the picture. I also have the four-speed tube brand new and the four-speed battery tube bracket brand new. $85 for the pair shipped .Let me know if you’re interested thanks Brandon

Last edited by brandon reynolds; February 24th, 2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old February 24th, 2019, 01:36 PM

A bigger pic would help a lot. I am wondering if its installed on the wrong side and the wrong place.
It looks like I was asking for it with all my previous silly questions, but here is proof that I mounted it in the only location on the manifold where it could go (maybe backwards?). Maybe I'm being a little picky, but I was just wondering if the bracket should be touching the intake runner and sort of scraping off the paint at the lower, inside edge of the rear hoop of the bracket. I'm probably a little too OCD for most people :-)....

Old February 24th, 2019, 01:45 PM

..and thanks a lot Brandon. Your product looks great and I definitely would be interested if I was going to restore my engine bay to more than a good driver standard. I got a bunch of my missing brackets from Scott (Oldspackrat) and the rest were reproductions from INT. I even found a nice (and cheap) aftermarket positive battery cable in red from East Penn that comes close enough to the original. I'll pass the part number along once I pick it up next week.
Old February 24th, 2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
That was my thought also. It should be on the front (drivers side) of the intake. There are so many raised and tapped bosses on these manifolds it could be easy to mistake, but the lift is uniform in design and can't be installed backwards.

EDIT: This picture shows the lift position very clearly.
Allan, I noticed you have two spark plug wire clips holding your wires on the drivers side. I only show one in the books. I like how tidy yours looks. It got me wondering if the "space" on the driver's side plastic clip is to make room for the oil dip stick tube. Like this: (obviously, the after market spark plug wire set in my car is too long....)

Old February 24th, 2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by tcolt View Post
It looks like I was asking for it with all my previous silly questions, but here is proof that I mounted it in the only location on the manifold where it could go (maybe backwards?). Maybe I'm being a little picky, but I was just wondering if the bracket should be touching the intake runner and sort of scraping off the paint at the lower, inside edge of the rear hoop of the bracket. I'm probably a little too OCD for most people :-)....
I am sorry, I didn't consider it a silly question. The pic you uploaded was sooooooo close, it was hard to tell where it was. You might bend it slightly to fit, your choice. Its only going to scrape paint if its a moving part, and its not. Paint it the engine color and forget it.

Old February 24th, 2019, 02:46 PM

I am sorry, I didn't consider it a silly question. The pic you uploaded was sooooooo close, it was hard to tell where it was. You might bend it slightly to fit, your choice. Its only going to scrape paint if its a moving part, and its not. Paint it the engine color and forget it.
No worries. I was only kidding. I think bending it is probably the answer. The question is whether the thick washers are still used on top of the bracket, same as with all the other manifold screws. I'm also still curious whether these parts were painted along with the engine, which seems likely. That would mean that when you removed the bracket and screws and washers there should be any blue of gold paint , but just cast iron?... I know we're getting in forensics here. I'm just curious...
Old February 24th, 2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tcolt View Post
No worries. I was only kidding. I think bending it is probably the answer. The question is whether the thick washers are still used on top of the bracket, same as with all the other manifold screws. I'm also still curious whether these parts were painted along with the engine, which seems likely. That would mean that when you removed the bracket and screws and washers there should be any blue of gold paint , but just cast iron?... I know we're getting in forensics here. I'm just curious...
You can spray or dab some engine paint on the manifold before putting the bracket back on. Yes, use the thick washers, see the pic Allan R posted. The washers help get the correct torque on the bolts.

Old February 24th, 2019, 05:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tom, that picture I posted is just for reference. It's not my car but I use the same setup with the plug wires. Easier to manage them and the routing that way.