General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

68, 69 rear wheel molding

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2019, 09:22 AM

68, 69 rear wheel molding

I have a 69 Vista Cruiser that I plan to 'restify'. I have lots of Vista body chrome but I want to clean it up using the Cutlass S /442 moldings. My question: is the rear wheel opening the same on 4 door, wagons and 2 doors? I have the front wheel opening chrome molding but not the rear. Before I spend the money I thought to ask if anyone has ever tried the 442 rear wheel molding on a wagon.
Old January 28th, 2019, 09:38 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The 442 and "S" full wheel well lip moldings are the same size front and rear. These trim pieces will fit the vista. I assume you are removing the Vista 3/4 belt line trim? Keep in mind the Supreme/Vista trim is shorter on either end where it merges with the Supreme 3/4 beltline trim.
There must be a reason you have not test fit this yours?

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....?number=WOM689

Last edited by droldsmorland; January 28th, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old January 28th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Thanks droldsmorland. I have the front moldings and I thought the rough fit looked ok on the rear. The vendors list separate numbers for front and back. BTW, Oldsparts.com is having a sale on a lot of their parts. It so happens that the wheel moldings are going for $300
I plan to remove all the side chrome and trying to fit the S / 442 chrome to the upper beltline.

Last edited by geowindow6768; January 28th, 2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add
Old January 28th, 2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by geowindow6768
Thanks droldsmorland. I have the front moldings and I thought the rough fit looked ok on the rear. The vendors list separate numbers for front and back. BTW, Oldsparts.com is having a sale on a lot of their parts. It so happens that the wheel moldings are going for $300
I plan to remove all the side chrome and trying to fit the S / 442 chrome to the upper beltline.
JEGS has those molding listed for under $200 right now..... I know,......I've never seen JEGS carry Olds specific parts before either....but I looked it up and they were there and I think they had free shipping too

edit: found them. $164.95. They are listed as Cutlass and not 442. They were a b!tch to find again because of that

It's very hard to tell from these pics if they are correct but they sure look close:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Golden-Star/1...276+4294829275

Last edited by allyolds68; January 28th, 2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old January 28th, 2019, 08:22 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Hey, Mike sure would make these 8s n 9s easier to restore. I have no idea how the repros look as far as form, fit? I've heard rumors the bends towards the end are not great because the material is not the same as the OEMs??? To be fair I've not held these in my hands to make that comparison.
Now for a high quality 68 vert power rear quarter antenna! Hens' teeth!

I'd say go for it George, Just make sure the return policy is good in case they are junk. Can't hurt to ask country of origin. Let us know?
Worth a try for a buck 70. It's worth a try. I've witnessed nice used OEMs going for much more. I've witnessed the shorter CS trim much less. I'd be a shame if someone went through all that trouble and made a pile shizt...but then again look at the repro red "W" inner wells.

Fusick list only one pn for the set. Same for everything I excavated online. I tried OPGIs search tool. You'd think a company as large as OPGI would have a worthy search tool...not. Jegs list them under Gold Star. gee that doesn't sound offshore...

Google 1968 442 wheel well stainless trim. or reveal trim. I see a bunch. So whoever makes these is selling them to everyone.
I have 2 real nice OEM sets. One off, one on a 68 442. They all look the same to me.

One of my bucket list items is to do a 68/69 W30 442 4 speed 3 row Vista, in black. I dont know why? I have an old BOP mag article somewhere where a guy did a black 68 442 Vista down to the drivetrain all the way out to the trumpets. Might even have had the OAI scoops, now I gotta dig that mag out. I'll snap a pic.
Steve
Old January 29th, 2019, 10:49 AM

I tried attaching pictures of my 2 1969 Vista projects but no luck. The pictures are in my album. One is a black interior 3 seat car that needs a lot of work and the second is a gold interior 2 seat car that runs and is fairly solid. I just have to decide which way to go.
I've been collecting 69 H/O parts for a while now - hood, scoop, mirrors, grille, shifter, 455, 15" bolt on wheels. The hurst air cleaner is the most difficult to find.
My dreams are way bigger than my bank account.
Old January 29th, 2019, 04:34 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The little icon just above this text box with the mountains and black moon next to the smiley face is where you need to click to upload. I know... you're just supposed to be enlightened with this knowledge directly out of the womb....
Dont try doing the captain obvious move and go at manage attachments...that'd make wayyyy too much sense. Install microsoft pic resizer too. It helps if you compress the pics. See the link below for more on pic upload follies.

Id go with the solid running car. Cheaper over all $ layout. Rot IMO is not worth the effort unless its a very low number vehicle worth more when you done ridding the tin worms.

"My dreams are way bigger than my bank account"...welcome to the 99.9%ers club.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-perhaps.html
Old January 29th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by geowindow6768
I tried attaching pictures...
As drolds said, here's what the screen image(s) look like when you upload images. Then click UPLOAD - top right-hand corner.