General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Radiator support

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2019, 06:37 PM

Radiator support

I have looked through the OSM and the body manual to find this, but all I see is the B and after cars. Can someone tell me if am doing this right? The entire front end was apart when I got it, so I am completely lost. I am sure i will eventually take the coffee can of bolts and trunk full of parts and put them together, but if any of you can help me, I will be forever grateful.

It seems to me like this should drop into the hole, but it cannot. Does it sit like this?
Old January 21st, 2019, 06:45 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

looks like you have the wrong support bushing for your application 64 -65 .

you need the two piece ones where the square one is on top of the frame and the round inside frame

Last edited by lunaboy; January 21st, 2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old January 21st, 2019, 07:35 PM

What year/model of car are you working on? We can probably share some photos of areas your unsure of. Look closer at the core support bushing. It might be the right one if it has a doughnut you can remove from the stem under the square part of the bushing. Then put the stem through the hole in the frame and put the doughnut on the stem inside the frame ear. Some models/years were like that.
John
Old January 21st, 2019, 09:13 PM

Have you tried pulling the round lower piece OFF OF the square upper piece??

Those are two separate pieces likely pushed together for packaging, etc.

The square piece sits b/n the underside of the core support and on top of the frame.

The lower/round piece goes INSIDE/UNDER the frame.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:51 AM

The car is a 69 442 convertible. Pulling them apart is what I was missing I think. I thought they were 1 piece. Thanks again!
Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:42 AM

I just replaced all of my body mounts including the core support this past summer. That round piece on yours,comes off & is supposed to go inside the frame. You will probably need some shims between the top of the square part & the core support to keep your sheet metal lined up. I got my core support bushing from Inline & while they looked correct overall, they were a little thinner than the factory ones & required a couple of shims on each side. You'll know right away if you need the shims when you tighten the bushings. Your fender to hood gaps will be messed up at the front. My 442 took an 1/8" & a 1/16" on each side to get the sheet metal to line up perfectly. My local Napa even had the correct factory style body shims in stock. What's up with posting pictures with this new format???? I tried to put up some pics yesterday & it was a no-go! Today it went right in???

Last edited by rob1960; January 24th, 2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 09:05 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by rob1960
What's up with posting pictures with this new format???? I tried to put up some pics yesterday & it was a no-go! Today it went right in???
Rob, I feel your pain. Apparently, the world thinks Caprian Obvious applies to everything these days. Intuitiveness is not part of the game in today's electronic world especially if you grew up without a single computer, cell phone, traction control or anti-lock brakes. Everyone just assumes you were anointed with this knowledge from birth.
If you were born after 1990 your in luck you were born with the nerd implant.

1. When you are composing or uploading pics use the tiny(font, size negative 72) icon on the toolbar in the editing area above the text box...see it next to the smiley face...or should I say emoticon? looks like two mountains and a black sun...captain obvious right....Bet you didn't know that means picture upload, me neither. DONT try to use the "manage attachments" tab below to upload...like we used to use. That's likely what you are doing. I was too. Someone likely a person born in 1995 thought that this process should change without updating the SOP...were all mind readers right.
2. Secondly, it can help to compress the pictures. I used the Microsoft free resizer app....(uh application for us oldsters).

Let us know if this helped?

Last edited by droldsmorland; January 22nd, 2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 07:27 PM

You are correct it should drop in.
Old January 25th, 2019, 01:55 PM

Everyone's advice helped. Once I pulled the bushing apart it all made perfect sense. Thank you!