General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1964 Olds Cutlass interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2019, 08:50 AM

1964 Olds Cutlass interior lighting

Having a problem & for some reason can't wrap my mind around it need help - 64 holiday coupe Olds the courtesy light in the rear on the headliner sails can't get them to light all other interior lights work they are a dual pin #90 blub I get that the dual pin allows the loop to continue & I have 12v to the 1st pin on the socket to ground put the blub in nothing tested blub it's good took one that's working anyway and put it in nothing I know it's making contact w/pin base & socket pin base - what am I missing ?
Old January 20th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Are you sure they are dual pin? How many conductors are in the socket? Do you have power to the socket (check with with voltmeter, do NOT short it)
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:38 AM

Lighting 64 Olds Cutlass

Yes the socket has two pin & appears and acts good springs behind contact plate good so socket contacts are making
also it takes a #90 blub & that of course has dual contacts - tested blub & it lights
Tested socket it has 12v
So I'm kinda confused? Actually all interior lighting on this 64 cutladd has dual pin so it can loop back all around with the circuit using one 20 amp glass fuse
I'm kinda stumped
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:46 AM

Might be ground then. Check and see if you have continuity to ground with the ohm meter function.
Old January 20th, 2019, 11:24 AM

Check to body connector at the back of the trunk that comes from under the seat on the drivers side. I had problems with mine as only one side would light. Like Koda stated check the grounds. Make sure that the screws that attach the housing are going into the metal behind the sail panel. I have a schematic I can post for that area if it would help.
Old January 20th, 2019, 07:48 PM

TY Big Daddy
i have the entire car schematic but it doesn't call out the one Ur mentioning so YES please, actually hoping I won't be chasing grounds, could make this difficult again TY for the suggestion - the print & the help 👍
Al
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:40 PM

Looks like the manual doesn't really call out the sail panel lights. It should be an orange and white wire that runs across from the driver to passenger sides at the back of the trunk. Orange would be hot and white ground. Ground is common from the door switches to all courtesy lights. Orange would run from fuse panel to all lights. Here are 2 sections from the manual.

Old January 21st, 2019, 08:22 AM

Lighting 64 Olds Cutlass

TY Big Daddy this will help me alot 👍 I just have a mental block with these lights don't know Y?
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:32 AM

Lighting 64 Olds Cutlass

TY Big Daddy the print will help enormously & the info on the trunk connection also
Oh there was 1 thing I failed 2 mention just came to me when I was checking the socket & finding 12v at the feed pin which I believe come off the door switches - I got a bit angry & ran a clipped wire from engine ground to the socket & negative end of battery 2 socket still no good with good blub so I'm fishing but w/the schematic & info should find problem
And if history means anything I will have another question seems everyone U fix something, down or upstream something else come up. Thanks again & here goes
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:49 AM

Glad you can move forward on the lighting. The door pins are the grounds for all courtesy lights, the orange is the hot lead. If you have a console equipped car, there are lights in there as well. If no console, they could be under the dash. I will see if I can get a photo of the wiring running across the back of the trunk divider. You can always use a 12 volt drill battery to check connections. I have a Power Probe that has saved me so much time when chasing circuits. Best of Luck
BDS
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:57 AM

Lighting 64 Olds Cutlass

Thanks Big Daddy yes it has a AT with a full console lights all working in the console.
Oh on the subject of console for the 64 cutlass I'm looking for the jetaway T handle shift/selector the old one is worn needs rechromed dont want to disable the car so looking for a junk/salvaged one to get by while this is rechromed & you all know how long chroming take if you get it back in 4 months your doing great lol any ideas thinking California yards might be best place
Old January 21st, 2019, 11:09 AM

If the lights are working in the console, just check the wiring to the back. Same feeds for all the lamps. Your best bet for the sifter is ebay or on here. Most of the t-handles if the junk yards are broken as they the upper part didn't fair too well. I ended up using the Shiftworks conversion to TH350 and also changed out the top portion to run their ****, since my t handle was missing.
Old January 21st, 2019, 03:13 PM

I'm still here SPO. Call and come bye.

Gerald