General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Lost trunk key - code from tumbler?

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2019, 05:29 PM

Lost trunk key - code from tumbler?

Helping a relative, and am trying to get a trunk key made to replace one that was lost. Is it possible to get a key code from the removed trunk tumbler? I’m not sure how I get the tumbler removed from the lock housing assembly without a key.

I could remove the glove box lock if that makes it easier, but that seemed like a bit of a process as well.

The application is a ‘73 cutlass, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Old January 15th, 2019, 06:35 PM

isn't the door keyed the same as trunk and glove box?
Old January 16th, 2019, 06:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
Not in the 1973 model year. The original trunk key would have been an "H" blank. The only way to remove the cylinder from the housing to inspect the tumblers is to destroy that stainless cap that is crimped over the top of the assembly. Replacements are available. PM me if you want more info, as I can do this for you and make a new key.
Old January 16th, 2019, 07:22 AM

not sure about 73 but the protecto plate will have a key code, i made my key from key codes i got from GM Canada
Old January 16th, 2019, 07:53 AM

Joe"s way is by far the best but a good locksmith can make a key by using blue dkyem (sp) and a clean new blank. By inserting the blank he will be able to see where the tumblers mark the blank , file those spots and with repeated attempts cut your key. I had this done for my 55 a number of years ago and it still works well. The hard part is to find a old world smith that still does this work..... Tedd

PS. The best advice is don't lose your keys.
Old January 16th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Joe"s way is by far the best but a good locksmith can make a key by using blue dkyem (sp) and a clean new blank. By inserting the blank he will be able to see where the tumblers mark the blank , file those spots and with repeated attempts cut your key. I had this done for my 55 a number of years ago and it still works well. The hard part is to find a old world smith that still does this work..... Tedd

PS. The best advice is don't lose your keys.
Tedd,

I understand that, but be aware that the original keys have discrete cuts with a specific dimensions and angles. Frankly, removing the stainless cap takes a couple of minutes, at which point you look at the tumblers (which are numbered) and cut a key to match. That's likely a lot faster and cheaper than the cut-and-try method, and definitely gives you a better key when you're done. I've got the Curtis key cutter tool that the factory used to punch new keys.

Old January 16th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Thanks guys. When the stainless surround is pried off, can the assembly be restored to like-original condition? Is it any easier to work with the glove box lock if there's no key?

An old school locksmith figured out my keys for the H/O because they were missing, and I never figured out how they actually did it... gave them a door lock and trunk lock and got keys back later that day. Hard to find those resources anymore.

Joe, I'll drop you a line when I get a chance. Thanks for the info!
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
Thanks guys. When the stainless surround is pried off, can the assembly be restored to like-original condition? Is it any easier to work with the glove box lock if there's no key?

An old school locksmith figured out my keys for the H/O because they were missing, and I never figured out how they actually did it... gave them a door lock and trunk lock and got keys back later that day. Hard to find those resources anymore.

Joe, I'll drop you a line when I get a chance. Thanks for the info!
Yes, though the replacement cap is retained with only four discrete tabs on the backside instead of a continuous crimp. This is not visible once the lock is installed. The glove box only used four of the six tumblers in the trunk lock, so you can't really make a complete trunk key from it. The original lock cylinder SHOULD have a four character code stamped on the side of it. If so, that's all I need to make a key.
Old January 16th, 2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
This was my thought as well, or maybe I misunderstand the issue. Any '71 and up GM I've owned or worked on over the years had 2 keys. One square key for the ignition and 1 round key for the doors, trunk and glove box.
Old January 16th, 2019, 08:51 PM

The 71 uses the square key for the doors and ignition and the round key for the trunk, glove box, and console.
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
The 71 uses the square key for the doors and ignition and the round key for the trunk, glove box, and console.
OK, I understand. It's been 38 years since I had my '71 Lemans. So the '73 must be the same as the prior years, another difference I didn't know about in 73-77 grouping.
Old November 11th, 2019, 03:57 AM

It's not possible for a locksmith to make a new key without using the VIN number.
Old November 11th, 2019, 08:55 AM

I guess spammers have evolved to making dumber-than-**** statements with their links inserted now.