General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1967 Disk Brake Caliper #

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2019, 06:54 PM

1967 Disk Brake Caliper #

Does anyone know the parts numbers for a 1967 Cutlass disc brake caliper? Is it the same part number for a 1968? Are the parts numbers different for chevy, pontiac & buick?

Thank you,
Scott
Old January 10th, 2019, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

67-68 four piston calipers are the same on all A-body cars for those years, with one exception. Early 1967 cars had 3/8-24 threads on the inlet bolt holes where the hoses attached. Second design 67 and all 68s had 7/16-24 inlet on the RH caliper and 1/2-20 on the left (go figure...). The hoses and bolts are different as a result. The parts book shows that the early calipers were not supported and were supposed to be replaced with the second design if service was needed.

Interestingly, my Sept 1968 parts book does not show a P/N for a fully assembled 67-68 caliper, only the pieces. These are two-piece calipers. The outboard housings are the same on both sides, P/N 5456076. The LH inboard is 5458363 and the RH inboard is 5458364. Reproductions are available since these same calipers were used on Chevelles and Camaros.
Old January 10th, 2019, 01:16 PM

The ROTORS are a problem for the 4 - piston caliper in the N.O.S. world -- and, when you find them, they are MEGA - bucks......
To avoid that problem, I have some N.O.S. ++ asbestos ++ brake pads -- that don't RIP UP the rotors......

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... West Hempstead, New York.....
Old January 10th, 2019, 04:59 PM

Joe, are those the part numbers or the casting numbers? The reason I ask is I've got a couple sets I believe are off 1968 442's that have different numbers cast into them. One set came off the cannibal car, which may have been replaced but it had been sitting for quite a few years. Here's a couple photos of the numbers on the calipers I have. The one side isn't clear, its 5456008 John
Old January 10th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Phantom Phixer

The casting number on GM parts is just that , a CASTING number .
It does not represent the actual part number of that part . At least on cast iron parts .
Often , but not always , the part number may be only one number off from casting number .
Old January 10th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
The casting number on GM parts is just that , a CASTING number .
It does not represent the actual part number of that part . At least on cast iron parts .
Often , but not always , the part number may be only one number off from casting number .
^^^THIS. There are a few cases where the casting number is the same as the part number, but those are exceptions. One example is intake manifolds. The 1970 cast iron 4bbl intake for a BBO is casting number 404521. The part number for the AT version is also 404521, since there is nothing else added to it. The MT version has the pressed-in nipple for the PCV between the water crossover and the front runner. The MT version has the same 404521 casting number but because it has an added part, it has part number 404848.

Exhaust manifolds have a similar pattern. Take the W/Z manifolds. For 1969, the RH Z manifold was casting number 402294. The part number is also 402294. The LH W manifold was casting number 402295, but since that casting had a heat riser flapper assembly attached to it, the part number was 403003. Now for 1970-72, the RH Z manifold still carried 402294 as both the casting number and part number. The LH W manifold did not use the heat riser in those years, so while casting number was the same 402295, part number was 406197.

The part numbers I gave for the caliper halves are the parts book part numbers.
Old January 10th, 2019, 06:47 PM

Thank you for the clarifications Charlie & Joe. The reason I made my post is I'd offered a set of these to Scott but neither he or I knew for sure if they would be the correct ones for his 1967. So if anyone has a set on their car that they feel have been there from the factory would you please chime in? Or if anyone has a reference that shows the casting numbers to provide the correct information. John
Old January 30th, 2022, 10:39 PM

Different But The Same.........

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Thank you for the clarifications Charlie & Joe. The reason I made my post is I'd offered a set of these to Scott but neither he or I knew for sure if they would be the correct ones for his 1967. So if anyone has a set on their car that they feel have been there from the factory would you please chime in? Or if anyone has a reference that shows the casting numbers to provide the correct information. John
Hello and sorry to hi-jack your thread but I was googling and found this Forum and started reading about this thread.
I own a different make and model of car (still 1967 Ch#v*o@et) but some brake parts are the same.
Example : the part numbers on the calipers in the photos above are the same as the ones on my car, again a different make of car (see Photos of my calipers).
Now all this is leading me to the fact that I can't for the life of me get any of the hard to obtain parts (eg : wheel lugs, caliper bolts) as I'm trying to restore my front disk brakes and can't get any of these parts from the suppliers of my make of car.
I have seal kits, aluminum pistons, caliper bolts from a camaro (but too short), piston springs (again camaro and completely different, bigger and probably a different spring tension, corvette again different).
I was wanting to ask is there an Oldsmobile supplier that would have these type of parts in stock or am I dreaming.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Chris.

Old February 4th, 2022, 05:31 PM

Caliper Part Numbers

Originally Posted by sbasinger@hotmail.com
Does anyone know the parts numbers for a 1967 Cutlass disc brake caliper? Is it the same part number for a 1968? Are the parts numbers different for chevy, pontiac & buick?

Thank you,
Scott
This might help you
Cheers,
Chris