General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OCA Nationals witchita KS

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2019, 03:42 AM

OCA Nationals witchita KS

Hey everyone, I’ve never been to the OCA Nationals before. I can only do 3 days. Can you give me an idea of what goes on so I can plan my trip?
im aware of the tourist excursions on Wednesday - Friday, but I’m more interested in coming in just for the cars. So are all the cars there Friday in the day? Anything going on Friday night? Is Sunday a fly home day or do things go on all day? —Thanks, Billy
Old January 8th, 2019, 06:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Friday is judging day, so all the cars will be on the showfield then. On either side of that, people come and go. Keep in mind that this is an indoor show, so there will be limits on when cars can enter and leave the facility. Swap meet can go either way. The most prized items are usually gone early in the week, however the best deals can be had late in the week when people figure out they don't want to lug stuff home. Friday night is drag racing night.
Old January 8th, 2019, 07:41 AM

To finish the thought, with the banquet and awards and all on Saturday night, I would imagine Sunday is everyone-leaves day and that the showfield is pretty much a ghost town by noon. I wouldn't plan on seeing cars or finding any swap meet vendors on Sunday.

I have not been to that many Nationals. I went to Gettysburg, but my schedule had me able to be there only on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday through about 12 noon. I was surprised by how few cars were there (at least in the show area) before I left on Thursday. I expected to see more. I think it really is true that, if you want to see the most cars possible, Friday is the day.
Old January 8th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
To finish the thought, with the banquet and awards and all on Saturday night, I would imagine Sunday is everyone-leaves day and that the showfield is pretty much a ghost town by noon. I wouldn't plan on seeing cars or finding any swap meet vendors on Sunday.

I have not been to that many Nationals. I went to Gettysburg, but my schedule had me able to be there only on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday through about 12 noon. I was surprised by how few cars were there (at least in the show area) before I left on Thursday. I expected to see more. I think it really is true that, if you want to see the most cars possible, Friday is the day.
That was my point about people coming and going. G-burg was a little different from Wichita in a couple of ways. First, since 2019 will be indoors, many show cars will be driven into the venue and left there. At G-burg people drove their cars to the various activities and tours during the week, thus the limited number on the showfield. Also, given the rain last year, many folks kept their cars in trailers much of the time. Count on most people packing up Sat by noon. Even if they are not leaving until Sunday, most cars and swap meet parts are packed up Sat.
Old January 8th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Thanks very much. I think I can swing coming in Thursday night and then fly out Sunday. I’m looking forward to the Friday night drag race.
I have years of experience going to and working for media, pop culture and sci fo conventions. One thing I really like is panels or presentations about stuff. Do they do that at these big car events? I’d love to listen to car collectors or restorers or even long time collectors talk or do slide shows about Oldsmobiles. —Billy
Old January 8th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Billyaxe
One thing I really like is panels or presentations about stuff. Do they do that at these big car events? I’d love to listen to car collectors or restorers or even long time collectors talk or do slide shows about Oldsmobiles. —Billy
Typically there will be presentations scattered over the week.
Old January 14th, 2019, 09:47 AM

I see in the OCA magazine that there is a drag race show on the Friday night of the Nationals. Does anyone know much about this? Will it be primarily Oldsmobiles? Do they allow out of town cars to race. (Not that I have a car, I’m just hoping to see vintage Olds race. ) -Billy
Old January 14th, 2019, 03:13 PM

Our Oldsmobiles will attend the track's Test and Tune night. We will make time trials and then eliminations against each other, separately from other, local cars that attend the track's event.
Old January 15th, 2019, 07:09 AM

Sounds cool. I don’t want to miss that. Is it earlier than the listed start time? What time should we be there? —Billy
Old January 15th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Count on most people packing up Sat by noon. Even if they are not leaving until Sunday, most cars and swap meet parts are packed up Sat.
Well, I had planned to go on Sat and look around. Are you saying I'm going to be disappointed?
Old January 15th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jon442
Well, I had planned to go on Sat and look around. Are you saying I'm going to be disappointed?
Use your judgment. I would take it to mean that if you're driving from home 10 miles to the event on Saturday, fine, take a chance, get there early, and see what's left. You're not out much if the place is nearly empty. But if you're flying from the other side of the country, then, no, it's not worth the risk to travel that far and at that expense to end up finding the place emptying out.
Old January 18th, 2019, 10:27 AM

OCA Nationals

I have been a swap meet vendor at the OCA national meets many times. This year the cars will be inside, but the swap meet is scheduled to be outside. I try to get there the day before to scope out the area and get my space assignments, and possibly start setting up. If I can't set up, then I get there early in the morning on the first day (this year it's Tue. the 25th) and get my spaces set up. For the most part, I am at my spaces most of the time. Hours of operation for most vendors are usually around 8 AM to 5 PM. I close up early Fri. (around 4 pm) and get ready to go to the drag strip. Saturday, depending on weather and tire kickers, I close up sometime around 3 PM and pack my truck for the trip home, and get ready to attend the banquet. Early Sunday morning I am on the road home (Naperville IL).

One of the things to consider would be the weather. If it rains during the day most vendors will close up or have their stuff covered by tarps. If they have a canopy they may stay open. I have a canopy. If it rains or threatens to rain on Friday afternoon, drag racing is usually cancelled. In the last 5 years we have been rained out twice, at Springfield IL, and at Gettysburg PA last year. I think that most of the vendors operate the way I do. Plan accordingly and have a great time.
Old January 18th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the tips I’m really looking forward to the weekend. —Billy
Old March 15th, 2019, 11:19 AM

Looks like flights are too expensive from Long Island to Wichita and with very little interesting sites to see in the Wichita area, I’m not gonna make it.
But 2020 is in Nashville - a great town with Lots to do.
I think I’ll turn my attention this summer to the Lansing Olds homecoming.
Any one have opinions on that show? -Billy
Old March 15th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Lansing built

Homecoming is actually bigger than any national event! I would say 25-40%. It's consistently over 500 in cars and the swap meet is a big or bigger than any nationals. Fusicks come all the way for just one day of business.

Pat
Old March 17th, 2019, 08:25 AM

Haven't figured out if I'm going to make it this year. I have a self diagnosed sickness as where I need to drive there. I'll most likely not have the time to do the trip trip, 4-5 days on the road and 3-4 there. If I do, when I hit ID, I'm going to follow Pac-rat and see what falls out of his trailer.
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Sounds great. I’m about 10 hours drive away from Lansing, so will drive to on Friday and home on Sunday. I hear they open the Olds museum Saturday night. Is there any other important Olds sites to see? Is the location of the original factory worth checking out? —Billy
Old March 17th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Billyaxe
Sounds great. I’m about 10 hours drive away from Lansing, so will drive to on Friday and home on Sunday. I hear they open the Olds museum Saturday night. Is there any other important Olds sites to see? Is the location of the original factory worth checking out? —Billy
Yes, it's looks like the museum is open from 4-6:30 P.M. that evening. It's not much, but there is a monument on/near the site of where the first cars were produced off of River street near Kalamazoo street. The current Grand river assembly plant was built on parts of the old foot print of the Plant #1 which was totally razed. It's mainly a holding lot for the Camaro and Cadillac. The Ivory towers ( building in my avatar) are still up and I believe that it's still covered by a huge wrap that has Cadillac's on it.

Plants 2 and 3 are on Saginaw street are gone, just grass and concrete. I did see that they are using plant 3's concrete area to store the Enclave and Traverse SUV's

Plant 5 is now owned by Ryder trucking.

Pat
Old March 17th, 2019, 01:15 PM

Thanks. —Billy
Old March 19th, 2019, 12:32 AM

It turns out that the drag strip is not available on Friday, so we will race on Thursday, June 27.