General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tuneup part recommendations

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2019, 09:55 AM

Tuneup part recommendations

So I’m looking for a part recommendations for a tune up for a 65 cutlass with a 330 engine. I’ve always convert all of my other cars to HEI and build my own wires, but this one I would like to leave points and i just dont have much experience with those. Could somebody recommend a nice points, condenser, cap, rotor, and spark plug wire set that looks close to original. I went to rock auto and they have like 20 different choices for each of these parts I’m kind a looking for something that is a known good part and spark plug wires that fit close to original I know this is an novice question but thanks for the help in advance. Brandon
Old January 5th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Administrator

oFor ignition parts (points, condenser, cap, rotor, and 7mm wires) I like to use Standard Motor Products (Blue Streak). I use points for a Vette the rest for stock Olds. For spark plugs Autolite, AC, or NGK. You can go with Rockauto or make a trip to your local auto parts store.
Old January 5th, 2019, 08:18 PM

Brandon - Go to a local NAPA Auto Parts store and get the PREMIUM Napa/Echlin brand cap and rotor. The cap is the shiny blackish finish similar to the originals and has brass instead of aluminum contacts in it. The rotor is also a better piece compared to cheap replacement rotors.

Haven't ever looked into plug wires to see if there's a decent black 7mm set made that at least looks similar to the originals with black regular looking boots, etc (ie - as an alternative to the more expensive repro wire sets).

Looking at RockAuto - the AC/Delco "Professional" plug wires 9188W don't look bad if the pic is accurate....silicone wires that appear to be black. You could change out the boots that go into the cap if you wanted a more "stock" look......looks like the wires have right angle dist cap boots and the factory used straight boots there.

Last edited by 70Post; January 5th, 2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old January 5th, 2019, 10:22 PM

Brandon, I've always used Accel points, very high quality. The 32oz. kit will give you stable fire up to 6500 rpm. I shifted my big block at 6000 rpm and never missed a beat. Their caps and rotors are extremely good. Shop around because prices can vary widely from ebay, amazon, summit, jegs, ect. A good curve kit with bronze bushing will make tuning fun. Make sure your distributor doesn't have shaft play it will screw up you settings. Best of luck with your Cutlass.
Amazon Amazon
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...g/applications
Old January 5th, 2019, 10:28 PM

Accel points kit GM, cap and rotor.
Amazon Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-8120ACC-Distributor-Cap-Rotor/dp/B000BWC65Y/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_26*3*_*l*p*_*t*r*_*t*_*2*?*_*e*n*c*o*d*i*n*g*=*U*T*F*8*&*a*m*p*&*p*s*c*=*1*&*a*m*p*&*r*e*f*R*I*D*=*X*Z*9*Z*K*1*Y*2*2*R*E*AVQ2NGBJ7 https://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-8120ACC-Distributor-Cap-Rotor/dp/B000BWC65Y/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_26*3*_*l*p*_*t*r*_*t*_*2*?*_*e*n*c*o*d*i*n*g*=*U*T*F*8*&*a*m*p*&*p*s*c*=*1*&*a*m*p*&*r*e*f*R*I*D*=*X*Z*9*Z*K*1*Y*2*2*R*E*AVQ2NGBJ7
Old January 6th, 2019, 07:47 AM

Awesome thanks for all the help guys.
Old January 6th, 2019, 10:28 AM

Back when I worked at NAPA the Echlin performance points were made by Accel. Not sure if it's still the same but you could ask the store manager if they are. Those are what I used in my car for the many years it had the points distributor and as said, they were good for 5800 RPM in my engine with no points bounce.
Old January 6th, 2019, 11:02 AM
72 Olds CS

Shiftbyyear what does the bushing on the distributor do?
Old January 6th, 2019, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Shiftbyyear what does the bushing on the distributor do?
The bushing limits the amount of mechanical advance in the distributor. The factory used rubber (I think) which disintegrates and sometimes falls out. By limiting travel with the brass bushing you can add more initial timing and make the engine idle better and respond quicker. Total timing can be more easily maintained around 36-38. I never ran a vacuum advance (personal preference). Testing different combinations of springs, I was able to get the best performance without pinging. A dial timing light is a great tool to have when doing this, along with a dwell/tach. Search youtube for distributor curving, total timing, although some videos relate to aftermarket distributors, the basics still apply. Good luck.
Old January 6th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Go to ebay and buy the old genuine Delco/Remy ignition parts. The points will be in the foil wrapped box. You might pay a little more but you know you are not getting junk. I bought an extra set to carry as spares. I probably won't need them.