General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vin derivative tag

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Jcpwelds

Vin derivative tag

So looked at my vin derivative id and these are the numbers stamped on the tag area, i was under the impression i should have more numbers. Any idea why i would only have 4, i thought either maybe a marine block or just restamped. The engine i a olds 350. Any help woild be appreciated.
Old December 15th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Josh Pawnell
So looked at my vin derivative id and these are the numbers stamped on the tag area, i was under the impression i should have more numbers. Any idea why i would only have 4, i thought either maybe a marine block or just restamped. The engine i a olds 350. Any help woild be appreciated.
A factory VIN derivative has nine characters. Obviously yours is not factory. Either it's a marine or industrial block or it's a rebuilt or service motor with some non-standard stamp. I'm afraid that there's no way to know what it means, other than the fact that Olds didn't put that there.
Old December 15th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

That picture does not look like it is taken from the front RH side of the engine. The engine VIN derivative is located on the front RH side of the engine just below the alternator bracket.
What year is the car? What year is the engine? Any more pictures of the engine you can share?
Old December 15th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Running On Empty

Old December 15th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Jcpwelds

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That picture does not look like it is taken from the front RH side of the engine. The engine VIN derivative is located on the front RH side of the engine just below the alternator bracket.
What year is the car? What year is the engine? Any more pictures of the engine you can share?
that's where the picture is from I had to rotate the picture cuz I took upside down , the car is a 1972 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme, engine is 350, front is stamped 395558 2, the guy I bought it from said it was his grandfather's may have had engine work wasn't sure. Just trying to get as much info on it , prolly find out more when I pull it an break it down.

Old December 15th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Jcpwelds

Picture was right below Where the 7A is on my heads
Old December 15th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Yeah, when I look at the original picture, I can see that the number is stamped upside down on the block.