General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cold weather warriors...

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2018, 05:10 AM

Cold weather warriors...

Hello Oldsmobile community!
Jusr wondering who else (besides me) grabs the chance to take their vintage iron out for a ride even in the cold weather?
Old December 5th, 2018, 06:00 AM

Everyone should take their cars out every chance they get if they haven't mothballed them for the winter. When I lived in Ohio, I never put my cars "away" for the winter but took them out on dry, sunny days no matter what the temperature. After all, these cars are not made of eggshells. They were designed to be driven year-round when they were just daily drivers back in the day, and there's no reason they shouldn't continue to be driven year-round now.
Old December 5th, 2018, 06:22 AM

back in the 80's i used to take my old 65 pontiac catalina out on the lake.do major powersliding donuts.it was a blast.
Old December 5th, 2018, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
back in the 80's i used to take my old 65 pontiac catalina out on the lake.do major powersliding donuts.it was a blast.
Lol😀...now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Here in Indiana, once the salt trucks lay down 2-3" of salt on the roads to melt the 0.5" of snow that fell overnight, it takes until April before enough precipitation falls to wash the crusty white corrosive off the roads. During that time I refuse to take either of my "toys" out on the roads. Spending 9 months doing body work to fix the corrosive effects has that effect on me.

I do regularly start them up every few weeks and move them around the driveway to keep seals lubed, brake surfaces rust-free and flat-spots from being created.
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:35 AM
delete

Same - I'll use it until they salt the roads. Then its in hibernation until a good rain or two washed it away.
As of late we've had a lot of windy & rainy days so a lot of debris on the roads. I avoid that since wet leaves are probably as bad as salt
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:44 AM

The Mistress is a road warrior and I often venture out during the winter months. No snow sliding or donuts in the snow but I do venture down to town for a hot cup of coco and I try to make the occasional cars and coffee that happens rain or shine once a month.They are fun year around if you pick your days..... Tedd
Old December 5th, 2018, 08:07 AM

I drive mine all winter long.
Old December 5th, 2018, 10:08 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

The cold does not keep me off the road,only salt and rain,although I have been caught in rain quite a few times.
Old December 5th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Hookers under Hood

Living just on the edge of the snow belt here . We usually park our Olds from Mid October to mid April . Then, we wait patiently for the snow.
Old December 5th, 2018, 02:20 PM

same here as 76olds ,put away early and get them out in the spring ,just too much salt on the roads around here .
Old December 5th, 2018, 02:54 PM

I drove mine last in mid november before a few days before a winter freezing rain/snow event.
Living in Iowa, part of the rust belt, our roads are hit with both a liquid brine before storms and rock salt after roads are packed...

I agree our cars were designed to run all year round back in the day, however due to their construction, corrosion of salts, they lasted maybe 10 years before the cancer came on hard. After multiple quick bondo fixes the folks did to the car, I was able to do a major restoration and remove the cancer rather than trim it out and sculpt new with bondo.

While I could drive it now I don't want to have some numb nuts slide into me while going down the road, or if it is in a spot at work, etc.. Let alone the corrosion.
my baby sleeps, covered up, with a rodent repellent that smells like potpourri in the trunk, cabin, and under the hood.
Old December 5th, 2018, 04:09 PM

I put a blocked off exhaust crossover back into srvice so I could drive in cooler weather but only till the snow hits. The Soviet style government mentality of no one can be trusted to drive if there is any chance whatsoever of freezing on roads somewhere means almost constant salt on roads all winter. I also suspect a lot of classic cars through modifications no longer have their stock winter warm air systems still operational.
Old December 5th, 2018, 05:34 PM

I drive the blue car at least a few times each winter if rain washes the gunk of the roads. Kid’s (red) car is 24/7/365 for almost 10 years now, he just put his 4 snows on last week. Neither car has manifold heat & neither ever skips a beat. Kid’s car (red) has ‘68 OAI, I had an upholsterer friend make “booties” to put over the scoops & we just remove one hose from air cleaner. Both cars get a 195* stat, blue car gets fan controller adjusted to turn fans on at appx 200*-205* but I have to put a piece of cardboard to block appx 25% of radiator or it won’t get up to temperature under low loads.

Last year I had blue car out on a 2* day, did a couple of errands, drove a town or two over to splash some gas in it & make sure it got a good, warm drive. I was complemented by 3-4 people, 2-3 more questioned my judgement & one guy at the gas station playfully scolded me with “are you crazy driving that in this weather?” I told him “no, the car loves the cold air & the heater works great.”

i didn’t tell him that I also have seat heaters under those nice Legendary seat covers.
Old December 5th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Our roads also ugly from November till April. We owned our last Challenger for 7 years, driving all year long it was starting to get rust issues. I guarantee most of the rust on my 88 Cutlass came from snowy good times, the two winter's I drove caused a lot of damage. The 70S I bought, the winter's no doubt caused most of the damage. Salt is ugly, period. I also find 88 inadequate heat wise no matter what I try. The 70 is better but has a fresh air vent leak, I have it where it only leaks in a bit, fine in hot weather, the heater really fights against it in late fall.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 5th, 2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old December 6th, 2018, 03:28 AM

Used to love taking my 1970 GTO Judge out on Pennsylvania winter nights. Nothing like the sound of a musclecar cutting through freezing air in high gear with the hammer down. Car pulled like a freight train in cold weather. Thanks for jogging that memory.
Old December 6th, 2018, 04:58 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I went through a lot with studded winter tires with my 88 with a No Slip in the rear. But any RWD car sucks on icy streets, constant sideways, even my Dakota absolutely sucks in 2wd. Traction control and AWD massively help winter driving a lot. Our old RWD Challenger was OK thanks to Traction control and winter tires but not great. The GT AWD, I floor it at the stop signs, the only time it slips in when I push it really hard in the corners and it only has all season plus Michelin's on it. I remember a guy driving a 70 Cutlass Convertible in the winter, to each their own.
Old December 8th, 2018, 08:06 AM

To add to my first post where I live they don't salt the roads. I probably wouldn't open the garage door if i had to contend with salt, I hate rust!..... Tedd
Old December 8th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Everyone should take their cars out every chance they get if they haven't mothballed them for the winter. When I lived in Ohio, I never put my cars "away" for the winter but took them out on dry, sunny days no matter what the temperature. After all, these cars are not made of eggshells. They were designed to be driven year-round when they were just daily drivers back in the day, and there's no reason they shouldn't continue to be driven year-round now.
X2 on that
Old December 10th, 2018, 09:02 AM

My Delta 88 is ready to go at anytime regardless of the season. Luckily I haven't had to press it into service as my G-Body wagon beater has been (fingers-crossed) reliable.

But annually in early March, I make the trek from Cleveland to Detroit for the Detroit Auto-Rama. Unless it's like a blizzard out, I take the Delta since I don't trust my wagon on a three-hour one-way trip. I just clean up the Delta really good when I get back and put it back into storage until later in April. Then it gets daily driven until Thanksgiving.
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:45 AM
delete

Originally Posted by jaunty75
They were designed to be driven year-round when they were just daily drivers back in the day, and there's no reason they shouldn't continue to be driven year-round now.
They were also designed to be replaced every 5-10 years. What if you just did a lot of work that took time & money? Maybe you aren't excited to go another $10K-$15K for paint & rust repair.
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:50 AM
delete

Had my car out this weekend. Pulled it out and the tires were a bit low. Took it to the station to top them off & stretch its legs a little bit but it started flurrying (of course it did) so got it back home. Parked it backwards in the garage so I could pull the battery cable. My Garage sucks so bad I can hardly get to the hood if its parked nose in. Its most likely done for the season.
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:55 AM

I keep mine insured year around and take it out as long as there is no wet, snow, ice or salt around...just cruised from The cities to Fairbault this past weekend to visit my mothers grave.
Old December 11th, 2018, 06:31 PM

Rain doesn't hurt these cars! What are they going to shrink? Had my Delmont 88 out December 2nd to a car club Christmas lunch I was invited to. I drive them as long as there is no salt on the roads. Not everyday mind you but I try to get all three out and warmed up at least once a month. But weather (snow) can prevent that from happening but I do try! Joe
Old December 11th, 2018, 07:16 PM

I do when it's running.
Old December 11th, 2018, 11:28 PM

I 'll drive mine until the first snow, then it sits until we get some good rains to clear off the salt, I like driving with the top down and the heater on full blast.
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:30 AM

Usually down here (Dallas) they don't put down salt but saw on the news two nights ago where Dallas public works sent out trucks to spray brine solution on the roads. There is no forcast for any frozen precipitation until Friday, and then only a "wintry mix with rain". Stupid call IMHO.
Old December 12th, 2018, 10:23 AM
delete

Originally Posted by oldsjoe
Rain doesn't hurt these cars! What are they going to shrink?
I know after a car wash I have water dripping out from behind the vinyl top trim for an hour and coming from inside the sport mirrors. I'd rather avoid that if possible.
Old December 12th, 2018, 10:39 AM

I don't take my old cars through a commercial car wash. With water spraying from the side at high pressures, it can leak in through lots of places. Modern cars are much tighter.

I have a garden hose, sponge, and soap!