General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'69 442 Muffler Choice

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2018, 05:16 PM

'69 442 Muffler Choice

'69 442 totally stock original 400CID, auto trans. The car is quiet, zero rumble and is due for a new exhaust system. Staying with manifolds, no headers and stock pipe setup, are there any mufflers that will give it some moderate "muscle car" sound? Thoughts/suggestions particularly those with exact brands or models is appreciated. Don't want to wake the neighbors but if they are up I'd like them to hear it.

Thanks in advance!
Old December 4th, 2018, 05:57 PM

Walker, Dynomax super turbo, pypes, who is doing the exhaust work? Some shops have their own performance brand. I’d listen to some other cars (preferably a drive to get a honest opinion) before spending money only to find what you installed isn’t to your liking.
Old December 4th, 2018, 07:51 PM

Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow, there not obnoxious but sound good, Less is better
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the input. Will hopefully be installed by the local mechanic, They are old school, care about their work and really appreciate the car for what it is.

Talked to Gardner Exhaust, sounds like they have what we are looking for as far as quality. Experienced people, very informative.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Go with Gardner Exhaust You will not be disappointed
Alain
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Thanks for the input. Will hopefully be installed by the local mechanic, They are old school, care about their work and really appreciate the car for what it is.

Talked to Gardner Exhaust, sounds like they have what we are looking for as far as quality. Experienced people, very informative.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Sugar I just ordered the Gardner exhaust for my 1969, also going with the stock manifolds, they have two types of mufflers both look exactly the same, one is the stock and a little more aggressive is the Turbo. I must say from beginning to End, the dealings with Gardner was wonderful. I also went with the concours package only because everything comes correctly plated etc and I hate rust. but it does add to the cost. When you order they take the card info etc but you don't get charged till it ships, it arrived packed very well. in about 2-3 weeks. hope this helps.

Eddie
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Sugar I just ordered the Gardner exhaust for my 1969, also going with the stock manifolds, they have two types of mufflers both look exactly the same, one is the stock and a little more aggressive is the Turbo. I must say from beginning to End, the dealings with Gardner was wonderful. I also went with the concours package only because everything comes correctly plated etc and I hate rust. but it does add to the cost. When you order they take the card info etc but you don't get charged till it ships, it arrived packed very well. in about 2-3 weeks. hope this helps.

Eddie
Eddie what was the price of this system if I may ask?
Old December 5th, 2018, 01:31 PM
delete

I installed an Inline Tube system on my car. They came with a turbo type muffler in stock dimensions. I was very happy with it. My installer had previously done a number of Gardner systems and said he wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I priced Gardner and the difference in price was too much for me. IIRC the ILT system was $750 to my door.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158535685@N07/, on Flickr
Old December 5th, 2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by alain
Go with Gardner Exhaust You will not be disappointed
Alain
I received Gardners chamber tail pipes when I restored my first 67. They were inferior and whistled out the back, I kid you not. They would not stand behind their product I was really disappointed. I would never use them again. I'm sure they've perfected them since then but they gave me horrible customer service and did not stand behind their product period. Matt
Old December 6th, 2018, 12:21 AM

Smithy's. I've had them on every car I've owned...…..65+ years!!!
Old December 6th, 2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Eddie what was the price of this system if I may ask?
it was around 1100 to the door it was the concours kit original mufflers etc all hardware hangers studs etc etc correctly plated
Old December 6th, 2018, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen

it was around 1100 to the door it was the concours kit original mufflers etc all hardware hangers studs etc etc correctly plated
Ouch!
Old December 6th, 2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Ouch!
yes but that include like 150 in shipping, and the concours kit all those concours clamps and hangers run I believe around 3 bills so your darn close to the inline tube price...
Old December 6th, 2018, 10:44 PM

Super 44's. Small and mean.
Old July 4th, 2019, 03:47 PM

Went with Gardner's concours kit and the turbo mufflers. Sounds great...turn the stereo off...rather hear the rumble.

Thanks to all for the input!!!
Old July 5th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Olds Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Went with Gardner's concours kit and the turbo mufflers. Sounds great...turn the stereo off...rather hear the rumble.

Thanks to all for the input!!!

Just put the same system on my H/O, best exhaust I've ever installed!
Old July 5th, 2019, 10:35 AM

I did my mufflers last week. I went again with the same Dynomax Super Turbos that had been there for the last 15 years. I used the long 20" muffler (they offer a shorter one) which is the quietest muffler they make. The Dynomax Super Turbo is the quietest muffler I have had that still has a muscle car rumble to it, but will not drone and will not be too loud. They are reasonably priced and should last you over 10 years. 2 1/2" offset offset:

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/supe...set-17926.html
Old July 10th, 2019, 12:42 PM

Check out this site- http://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/
They carry exhaust systems from Pypes, Flowmaster and Magnaflow, plus mufflers from Dynomax. Pypes and Flowmaster allow you the choice of a no muffler system, so you can use whatever muffler you want. Several posters have mentioned Dynomax Super Turbo's, and they are correct. Great all-around muffler. They also carry manifold downtubes and stock 442 tips to fit 2.5" pipes. The Pypes systems give you a choice of straight duals or X-pipe, while Flowmaster is an H-pipe. Magnaflow is strictly X-pipe. BTW, Pypes has a specific system for the 68-72 442 which places the tailpipe outlet slightly higher for the bumper outlet. There's no charge for shipping and everything is 10% off right now.
http://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/p...5-x-pipe-sga12
http://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/p...rue-dual-sga29