General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Parts Place

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2018, 01:20 PM
70CutlassSX

The Parts Place

Wondering if any of you have purchased parts for your classic car from “The Parts Place” and if you had a negative experience.

I am deeply disappointed with them. We purchased a fiberglass hood over $1398 dollars. The shipping agency damaged the box. But you could not tell on the truck. The driver forced signature before he would unload the package. So, once it was signed for he refused to take it back. He jumped in his truck and left,

The Parts Place customer service said “ once you signed for it is your problem. You never shoulda ever signed ( refuse it). Even explaining to the rude guy ( Shaun) he said “ our policy is no refunds or replacements once you signed for it. I told him how can we see the damage if the driver won’t unload until he has your signature. Needless to say I got no where.

But get this I called the transport company. The so called shipping charges my son paid of $220 and the cost of the replacement hood is being paid to “The Parts Place”. After I got off phone with The Parts Place they filed a claim for the shipping and replacement cost of the fiberglass hood.

The transport company said” your son cannot file a claim because he is not our customer. They refused to give me the claim number since he was not the account holder. So The Part Place stands to collect twice ( first they collected from my son) and now they get a check from World Wide Express. Which in turn filed a claim with Roadrunner the third party that delivered the damaged package.

So World Wide gets a check for what they are forced to pay The Parts Place. Again, Roadrunner cannot provide me a refund or a claim number because I am not legally their customer.

I totally regret giving The Parts Place another chance. They never want to be held accountable for anything.

I guess I will be having to file in small claims court case to address the issue. Since The Parts Place refuses to refund or replace the fiberglass hood.

After reading several reviews I sincerely hope you research this company before using them. They are a shady organization that fraudulently files a claim for monies they never paid out of pocket for themselves. Unbelievable......Very corrupt.......

Old November 4th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Administrator

If a transport company refuses to let me see the pkg before signing then I tell them to take it back to the shipper. Then I call my credit card company and explain why I need to cancel the order.
Old November 4th, 2018, 04:06 PM

What are the odds you paid with a credit card? Maybe they have some suggestions on how to handle this.

For the the most part, I have been satisfied with the quality of the parts I have ordered from the parts place. Their customer service leaves much to be desired. My first dealing with them was probably 20 years ago, I had a freshly painted car, I was waiting on a front bumper from them. I called, waited, called some more, was always told the were waiting on their choke shop. After 6 weeks, I finally had enough and ask for a supervisor/manager/ someone with some authority. After a long explanation, and a few phone calls exchanged, it turns out the had no cores to chrome!!! I asked why they didn’t tell me, I could have shipped mine to be repaired!! The parts place is a 3 hour drive for me, I had planned to return my core when I picked up my new bumper.

Case #2, I worked with a lady who had a very nice survivor 69 Grand Prix. One on the ***** for the window crank had broken off (damn 40 years cars always falling apart!). I told her about the parts place, gave her the phone number for her to place a order. She tells me the next day at work they wouldn’t bother shipping such a small order, wasn’t worth their time. Maybe this order wasn’t, but maybe her next order would have been! No way she was going to bother with them again.
Old November 4th, 2018, 04:24 PM

If you paid with PayPal or a credit card, no sweat. File a dispute with the credit card company and they will get your money back. I have never lost a dispute because I was always honest. PayPal also will get after them.
Old November 4th, 2018, 07:55 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I'm finished doing business with the parts place.
After 3 times of calling to ask for advice on making their ill fitting parts work and being told all 3 times I am the only one who has had issue and I should let a professional install their parts...I'm done!
I will do without before I give them any more of my money.
Old November 5th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Fpcopo
If you paid with PayPal or a credit card, no sweat. File a dispute with the credit card company and they will get your money back. I have never lost a dispute because I was always honest. PayPal also will get after them.
X2 credit card or Paypal will get your money back.
Old November 5th, 2018, 07:54 AM

X2

The down side is they also sell parts through other vendors like Fusick so you might end up with their stuff not knowing so it might be best to ask who made the part.

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
I'm finished doing business with the parts place.
After 3 times of calling to ask for advice on making their ill fitting parts work and being told all 3 times I am the only one who has had issue and I should let a professional install their parts...I'm done!
I will do without before I give them any more of my money.
Old November 5th, 2018, 08:21 AM

The owner of TPP is a total tool. The employees take on his demeanor when you try to reason with them. This all has been hashed out on FB and the poster has gotten all of this same advice there. In my opinion,the CC company should and would remedy this.
Old November 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM

I learned my lesson years ago. Just say no to Parts Place!
Old November 8th, 2018, 06:41 AM

Never should have signed anything without seeing the box first, knowing that it was a hood (something fragile). If you paid by a credit card or Paypal, file a dispute. I can't see you not winning the case. You should get the money back and be able to keep the hood since they were paid twice for it. I haven't ordered from them in a while and after reading member complaints about them recently, I don't plan to. Good luck with the refund process.....
Old November 8th, 2018, 08:48 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

I've generally had good experiences with them and they went out of their way to assist me with my last major part purchase - last year I purchased a convertible top pump from them thru Ebay, for install with a new top that was being done at a local shop - at such time the top install is almost done, I get a call the pump is faulty - only operates one direction (up). Car's essentially stuck in the shop until I can get a replacement and EBay's return policy basically takes weeks to effect (Policy is you can't deal direct with a vendor when purchasing thru Ebay).

So I called Parts Place anyway to explain my situation with the car being stuck in the shop until a replacement pump could be obtained - they ultimately waived the requirement to go thru their Ebay department and allowed me to return the pump for an immediate replacement. Unfortunately, it turned out they didn't have another one in stock so I still ended up having to source one elsewhere. I luckily live a couple counties away from Hydro-Electric so was able to obtain an overnight replacement (albeit at higher cost for the part).

Parts Place instead gave me an immediate refund and sent a call tag for the bad pump, ultimately going out of their way to accommodate me under the circumstances none the less.

In your case I agree with other posts in regards to protection afforded through credit cards and paypal - either where applicable should hopefully provide a source of recovery for you in absence of any direct response from Parts Place.
Old November 8th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I have dealt with them for about 15 years and only one problem -- well, two: re-pop Rallye Pac gauges I ordered didn't work. No biggie, returned them and was sent a new set. Unfortunately, these didn't work either (can't remember exactly what was wrong with them), but third time's a charm -- they finally sent me a set that worked. I remember they really didn't want to refund my money; they were much happier to keep shipping me gauges until we found some that were functional.

Other than that, no difficulties.
Old November 8th, 2018, 03:48 PM

I've bought several parts from them with no real hassle, but am not a fan of their recent website changes. It was much faster to find the part you wanted with the old website.
Old November 8th, 2018, 06:34 PM
W30

They suck
I had that whole shifter cable saga.
they wont return anything taken out of the box.
they have the correct cable listed..

shure...
so I have 3 shifter cables. All wrong lengths
Old November 11th, 2018, 08:07 AM

The parts place caters to a Chevy base and tells you all GM A bodies are the same, how many would disagree with that? I'm thinking countless people. I've ordered a few parts from them and they get aggressive when you question them. I gave up on them years ago. Not much of a surprise, but the suppliers that cater to Oldsmobile first seem to work out fine. Just be weary of the opposite of "Sisters"
Old November 11th, 2018, 09:31 AM

I've bought stuff from them. I haven't had a problem. The guy who answers the phone is a complete *******. He's hurting their business and the owner would improve his business' reputation by firing him. I had a couple questions because the website was vague. Instead of answering my questions he told me "they have a thing called the computer, you can look up our website." The question was convertible specific and picture/description was vague. I then said, "well send me a catalogue. He told me, "to get with it, it's the computer age." I told him, "okay, I'll take my thousand dollar order to Inline Tube. I'll only buy what I can't find anywhere else from them.
Old November 11th, 2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
, "okay, I'll take my thousand dollar order to Inline Tube. .
Inline Tube isnt really any better than Parts Place when it comes to ill fitting or defective parts. They also continue to sell dangerously defective parts that theyve been informed about by several customers.(G-Body lug nuts that have the incorrect thread and strip off the wheel studs)