General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"Trans Am" reality carbuilding show

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Oldsdruid

"Trans Am" reality carbuilding show

Has anyone watched this tripe yet? I thought it might be "different" but sad to say it's the same old rehash of gotta scrap the original engine and do an engine "upgrade" to make the car drivable/reliable- which seems to always involve an LS engine.

They were doing a 1970 455 Vista Cruiser last nite- and true to form yanking what appeared to be a perfectly serviceable 455 in favor of an LS7. But here's what really chapped my ****- he's gonna do this unbeknownst to car owner, paint the LS 455 blue and then try to convince him of the need to "upgrade" the powerplant. And admits if he can't convince the owner the LS is the right decision for that car, he'll probably eat about 100 large.

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard, as being in Tallahassee Hurricane Michael probably put him out of business, but I get really tired of this chit. Upgrading a 455 to fuel injection is no big deal and makes for an easy-starting and fairly economical big-inch engine, but to convert to an LS and then have the nerve to paint it 455 blue to convince an owner the change was needed is just wrong on many levels.

Then to yap about the 1970 455s were red except for "Tornados" were light blue and that's the color they were gonna use.... What the hell is wrong with this picture? Do they really think car guys are that ignorant or stupid? I mean, the 455 in the VC was 455 blue, as it should have been.

I think I'm gonna stop watching any of these shows. I sure ain't wasting my time on "Trans Am" again. I'll find an old movie on TCM.
Old October 17th, 2018, 04:32 PM

My sentiments exactly. I commend them for making a "New" TransAm from a Camaro but their other crap is just that...CRAP.
Old October 17th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Olds Fever

Just more wasted TV space... It will most likely follow the path of Gas Monkey garage, Misfit Garage, etc. etc.... I appreciated the shows that actually showed you how to accomplish some automotive tasks and not so much invested in building and selling...
Old October 17th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Administrator

I'm just not into any of the car shows, too much drama.
Old October 17th, 2018, 04:59 PM

Come on, everyone knows how easy it is to make a 1000hp with a $400 LS engine. And everyone knows how unreliable old carbureted engines were, the interstates and highways were clogged with flooded and misting smoking junk cars. The ones that did run ran well, just have to make a stop every 40 miles to fuel up. Once they were fueled, it was a hassle to keep them from plowing into anything even remotely close to the road (those lousy brakes and steering, a accident waiting to happen). Not to mention the expense of that old iron lung under the hood. Think about the money you would save swapping to a newer LS engine, once you buy the radiator, computer, transmission, exhaust, upgrade the fuel system, wiring harness, and countless other nickel and dime things that ALWAYS cost much more than you budgeted. Yep, swapping a LS engine in place of perfectly good running 455 makes perfect sense. My keyboard is dripping with sarcasm as I type this
Old October 17th, 2018, 05:03 PM

Imitation is the sincerest form of television. -Fred Allen
Old October 18th, 2018, 05:37 AM
CutOvers Olds Parts Guys

Thanks for telling us about the trans am show. I have amazon prime so I bought the season for 5 bucks. There are at least 3 to 4 olds cars in there. I fell asleep watching the vista cruiser one. He was wrong for taking the guys car, who likes original cars, and changing the drive train on him without informing him. I did find myself saying to my kids, look at that one. Or there's another one. I enjoy seeing our cars on TV. I remember seeing them on fast and loud and saying those guys are gonna have a show one day.
Old October 18th, 2018, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'm just not into any of the car shows, too much drama.
I'm just not into any of the car shows, too much FAKE drama.

Coming up ! The tension in the shop is incredible. If Billy can't find that wingnut by tomorrow, the entire build is in jeopardy.
Old October 18th, 2018, 07:06 AM

I would never give a car to a show like that, and, if the person did that to a car of mine, without my knowledge and express permission, I would consider shooting him.

Hell, I got very angry at a Toyota service manager a few months ago when they chopped the gas pedal on my truck when I told them not to. I made them source an original NOS pedal assembly and bolt it on.
Old October 18th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Jeff

My wife had the misfortune of being somewhat involved in the Gas Monkey COPO Camaro debacle, very much just on the fringes, while still at GM. She said Richard was a complete jackass, and that the "money guy" Dennis Collins was the only one that actually seemed to respect cars for their real value (meaning originality). I know GM used it as a marketing opportunity, but they really didn't need to, considering those cars sold/sell themselves.

I would've trusted Chip Foose's "Overhaulin'" team, but the overwhelming majority of these shows annoy me when they want to swap an original engine out with a crate motor.
Old October 18th, 2018, 02:33 PM

Let me take the road less traveled and say that I just dont get it. All the hatin that is. I love having dozens of car shows to pick from, some better than others, but plenty that are filled with tech and top shelf builds. Why anyone would hearken back to the days of having 3 shows to pick from on a Saturday morning, all of which looked like somebody made them in their backyard is beyond me. You have to remember its made for TV, and they have to attract an audience larger than us hard core motorheads. I agree they build in too many deadlines and drama. But mixed in between is plenty of tech to learn. I have picked up tons of tips on hardcore fabrication and other restoration techniques from these shows. I will take it over the old boring lets bolt this part on and insert bolt a into hole b shows that we used to get anyday. I also think the finished Vista is going to be awesome. I mean I love old cars and old engines, but lets face it, they cant compete with the technology and performance built into the new motors, and with modernized suspension that Vista is going to be one badass car to drive. Since the guy wants it to cruise around the country in, The LSX with a modern overdrive transmission it is going to do that job with performance, reliability and monster power. You can park it in my garage when its done, no problem!
Old October 18th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Forward into the Past

Yeah, the other thing they do on so many of those car shows that just irritates the hell out of me is cutting out perfectly good suspension and putting in air bag suspension because of course everyone wants their car's chassis to drag the ground.

Every now and then, though, one of those shows will come up with something absolutely mind blowing. One of my favorites to date is the '82 El Camino they did on Overhaulin' that got a '67 Camaro front clip and dash grafted onto it and they actually made it look like it belonged there.
Old October 18th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmax32168
Let me take the road less traveled and say that I just dont get it. All the hatin that is. I love having dozens of car shows to pick from, some better than others, but plenty that are filled with tech and top shelf builds. Why anyone would hearken back to the days of having 3 shows to pick from on a Saturday morning, all of which looked like somebody made them in their backyard is beyond me. You have to remember its made for TV, and they have to attract an audience larger than us hard core motorheads. I agree they build in too many deadlines and drama. But mixed in between is plenty of tech to learn. I have picked up tons of tips on hardcore fabrication and other restoration techniques from these shows. I will take it over the old boring lets bolt this part on and insert bolt a into hole b shows that we used to get anyday. I also think the finished Vista is going to be awesome. I mean I love old cars and old engines, but lets face it, they cant compete with the technology and performance built into the new motors, and with modernized suspension that Vista is going to be one badass car to drive. Since the guy wants it to cruise around the country in, The LSX with a modern overdrive transmission it is going to do that job with performance, reliability and monster power. You can park it in my garage when its done, no problem!
Glad you like the new shows, nothing wrong with that but most if not all are crap.(the only exception being garage squad!) I could write a WAR and Peace Novel on the reasons why. I have a little insight as well as 3 of these National broadcast Auto shows are shot a block from my friends body shop. I'll take the 3 old shows you talked about from the old days. Less has always been more as long as I have been alive and that aint never going to change. I would like to write more on the subject but the car we are working on is suppose to be in the show by this Saturday and we still don't have the motor back from the shop, and we just found out the frame is useless and we can't find any interior parts for this year and one of the employee's just broke the windshield that can't be replaced and one of the mechanics just walked out after getting his feelings hurt by a joke, but by the end of the show everything will be perfectly done. ( fake BS drama!!) Sound familiar? It's how every one of these damn shows is written..
Old October 18th, 2018, 07:05 PM

Liked the vista could not see spending $100000 on it t
and then putting a Chevy motor in it

But it was nice to see all the old cars in the back ground , few 70 442 there

Could of been a all Chevy show ��
Old October 18th, 2018, 07:13 PM

I just don't enjoy watching two guys garage show me how to put brakes on for the 87th time or change out my sway bar bushings. Showing me how to assemble a small block chevy again. And again. And again. Everything I can learn from the standard fare old school stuff I already know. I prefer the hard core fab work I can learn from watching what they are doing on shows like Iron Resurrection and Texas metal. Great segments on upholstery and on metalwork last week on Bitchin Rides. Sometimes I dont like the final resulting ride but I can appreciate the effort and talent that goes into them, even if they are not my style. I honestly dont care if the entertainment aspect of it isn't realistic, I enjoy the meat and potatoes that are there for taking if you pay attention. I love Garage squad by the way. Or maybe I just love Heather Storm. Maybe both. Build on.
Old October 18th, 2018, 07:57 PM

How many in readerland remember the 69 Cutlass that was started (hurst Olds “tribute” build) and never finished (thank God!) a few years ago on one of the musclecars shows? Some of the ideas I really liked, the mini tubs for big rear tires. Then they had the really stupid ideas, or couldn’t decide on one build theme, like the aftermarket chassis, the smoother polished firewall, the ever so common LSX swap, radiator leaked way back like in a corvette, no drip rail molding, bumpers tucked way into the body and the ridiculous “Hurst Olds “ imitation wing, the list goes on
Old October 18th, 2018, 08:22 PM
same but different

I share some of the same feelings in the comments about these shows. On one hand I'm glad we have so many, as there are a lot of them. On the other hand, the fake drama is just too much and seems so prevalent.
I know there is a lot of good entertainment in them which is why I watch. I don't always agree with the show, it's cast and their comments. Some of them are way off. but you have to start somewhere in the hobby of enjoying old cars, wether its watching these shows or owning and wrenching on one.
Road Kill is not my favorite show, but it gives me belly laughs. Big ones. The amazing crap they pull off is crazy..weird almost frankenstein like.

When it gets to be too much I just change the channel.

That in its self, is a gamble.
Old October 19th, 2018, 12:23 PM

Pretty much had it with car based reality shows, only two I'll watch are Fantom Works and Restoration Garage - and then only if I'm desperate.
Old October 19th, 2018, 01:34 PM

My two cents. I like Graveyard Cars(z?) and Wheeler Dealers because they show more of the actual work.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:03 AM

I'm glad we have these shows although "Trans Am" seemed staged more than normal. You don't just go against the customers wishes like that.
Garage Squad- what's not to like. Graveyard Carz does top end restos, is fun and does not push false drama except to make fun of the drama. Fantom Works is generally good but boss man Dan acts shocked, pissed and dismayed every time a resto on a 50 year old car has issues- really? (still an excellent shop Fantom Works). Kindigit does amazing work at his shop but everything is a restomod, not my cup of tea. Wheeler Dealers was better with the tall man Ed but I will catch it when I can.

Gas Monkey, no thanks out to screw you buddy.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 08:56 AM
Administrator

I've found this show (Full Custom Garage) interesting, Ian is very talented.
http://www.fullcustomgarage.com/
Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
delete

Originally Posted by frankr442
My two cents. I like Graveyard Cars(z?) and Wheeler Dealers because they show more of the actual work.
Graveyard shows a car taking a year or two to complete. Crazy stuff that every car doesn't take three weeks
Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:26 PM
delete

Originally Posted by matt69olds
How many in readerland remember the 69 Cutlass that was started (hurst Olds “tribute” build) and never finished (thank God!) a few years ago on one of the musclecars shows? Some of the ideas I really liked, the mini tubs for big rear tires. Then they had the really stupid ideas, or couldn’t decide on one build theme, like the aftermarket chassis, the smoother polished firewall, the ever so common LSX swap, radiator leaked way back like in a corvette, no drip rail molding, bumpers tucked way into the body and the ridiculous “Hurst Olds “ imitation wing, the list goes on
That was Musclecar that became Detroit Muscle. Mostly nice cars built around whatever product placement they line up. Crazy thing about the Olds build is that they had a Joe Mondello built 455 that never found a home.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 01:47 PM
Hookers under Hood

imagine it in blue

[QUOTE=rocketraider;1131293]Has anyone watched this tripe yet? I thought it might be "different" but sad to say it's the same old rehash of gotta scrap the original engine and do an engine "upgrade" to make the car drivable/reliable- which seems to always involve an LS engine.

They were doing a 1970 455 Vista Cruiser last nite- and true to form yanking what appeared to be a perfectly serviceable 455 in favor of an LS7. But here's what really chapped my ****- he's gonna do this unbeknownst to car owner, paint the LS 455 blue and then try to convince him of the need to "upgrade" the powerplant. And admits if he can't convince the owner the LS is the right decision for that car, he'll to convert to an LS and then have the nerve to paint it 455 blue to convince an owner the change was needed is just wrong on many levels.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 02:10 PM

To add insult to injury, it doesn't even look like the right shade of blue.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 03:29 PM

Trans Am should stick to building Fire chickens For the money spent on that LS setup, they could have shown some real Hot Rodding skills and put a roller cam, edelbrock heads and intake, a bolt on EFI, built 200r4( or a Gear Vendors). Most of the reason for these LS swaps is to cover their sponsors help on getting the show produced and on air. Watch the credits, see who's paying.

As far as their desire to build T/A's, I wonder if theyre aware that since the Camaro came back on the market theres been around a half dozen companys that have built T/A replicas, every one has gone belly up.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 08:19 PM

The shows I DO like include but not limited to, in no particular order:
Car Fix- exhaust and ECM upgrade on a Ferrari, intercooler for a superbike, tune-up a SOHC in a newer Mustang, and Lou is hilarious. Wish it was more than 30 minutes.
Speed is the new Black- Nice cars from mild to wild and a cast of characters that get along.
Graveyard Cars is getting better now. Beautiful restorations and the actual show is not so slapstick but still funny.
Garage Squad- like mentioned earlier, Heather, and they work on a full variety of vehicles, not just muscle cars.
Wheeler Dealers- Ed or Ant, they put on a good show.
Fantom works- diverse and beautiful vehicles and usually low on drama.
PowerNation- shows are ok and they sure aren't actors!
All Girls Garage- girls that work on cars, what's not to like.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 11:10 AM
delete

There is also Restoration Garage - looks to be good quality work and a nice variety of cars. Downside is the main guy looks like Moe from the Simpsons and the rest of them come off as sex offenders

Old October 23rd, 2018, 01:04 PM
Jeff

*laughing*

Yeah, those guys on Restoration Garage are a bunch of goblins. And BORING.
Old October 24th, 2018, 08:40 AM

Decided to watch Trans AM last night to see what it was about, was the end of the Vista Cruiser build. I was not shocked when the Owner refused to take the Car because of the Engine Swap. Felt bad for the guy that wanted the work done, but had to laugh at the fact that the shop owners got stuck with the car. I was shocked at the price they finally sold it for, I think it was about $85,000, which they say was a loss for them.
Old October 24th, 2018, 09:53 AM
delete

Originally Posted by jharsh
I was not shocked when the Owner refused to take the Car because of the Engine Swap. .
The customer is always right...
Old October 24th, 2018, 10:24 AM

In the real world , you don’t make decisions like that . $100000 build which was hard to believe would be put into a vista anyway but I guess . That is a disaster waiting to happen if not honoring the customers requests then was talking about not modifying the tunnel Incase the customer wanted to later put it back to original . Just shows more and more it’s a scripted show
Old October 25th, 2018, 07:53 AM

I have watched for the last time after the last episode.
Old October 25th, 2018, 08:05 AM

I caught about 30 seconds of the Trans Am show the other night and heard the shop owner say the owner wanted anything that was modified to be reversible. To which he commented he could do anything he wanted then because anything can be reversed. And he is right, given enough time and resources anything can be reversed but to hand a valued vehicle over to someone that feels they can do whatever they want is a scary thought. I guess there are two sides to that, the car owner should have been more specific about what was and was not to be done, and the shop owner should not have the attitude that he can do whatever he wants. I don't think that is the kind of show I will be watching. Dunno if they have the talent to make great cars or not but that little bit was too much.
Old October 25th, 2018, 10:15 AM
delete

I think half these guys with shows gotta kill their business. Chasing Classic Cars & Iron Resurrection look like they do good quality work. Kindig it too even though its LS everything. Graveyard Cars certainly look to be Mopar experts. Why would you ever buy a car from Gas Monkey when you watch the show and he's trying to mark up every flip $30K and half these other shows are doing hack level work. I know someone who was familiar with Boyd Coddington & his shop before his passing. He said the show was bad for business, showing these guys fighting with each other every step of the way. .