General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Quadrajet Power carb rebuild

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2018, 01:05 PM

Quadrajet Power carb rebuild

A few months ago I bought a well used (and in pieces) carb from another member with the thought of rebuilding it, but lack of spare time determined otherwise, and I sent the box of parts to Quadrajet power for a rebuild and restore. They were quick in their turnaround, and I'm happy with the way the carb turned out! I just dropped it into the Rallye engine compartment today, and the car fired right up. I barely had to make any adjustments at all (thank goodness) and I took the car for a run around the neighborhood as soon as it warmed up. WOW - It's been a long time since I've had a Q-jet that worked this well, and the car really woke up. I just wanted to say that they did a great job for me and that they can sure use me as a reference/success story any time they like. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by BSiegPaint; October 6th, 2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old October 6th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Gary

I used them also and one of my friends did so. We were very happy with results.
Old October 6th, 2018, 04:52 PM

I had an absolutely horrible experience with them. I'm glad it worked out for you guys. Know that if you have a problem, one...their customer service policy is to ignore you. They will not return your calls or emails if you complain. Two...if you have to send it back to them, you have to pay the return shipping, even if it was their error. Three, if you were looking for correct plating on the flaps, linkage, and what not, it's not even close to what it should be. I'm going to find the pics of the carb they did for me, so you can see the crappy job they did on it!

Last edited by mrolds69; October 6th, 2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old October 6th, 2018, 05:48 PM

My experience is exactly as mrolds, problems on their part and the buyer pays shipping and it still had issues. Communication on their part was poor. I went with Sean Murphy and got a great running qjet.

Last edited by woodie582; October 6th, 2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: info
Old October 7th, 2018, 04:49 AM

Sent mine to Mountain Man in Arkansas and did a great job.
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Ken from Everyday Performance is also very good. I bought a carb at least two years ago. Custom tuned, ran great. I have a weird choke rod bending issue. Ken sent me the parts for free the first time, years after the build. He then sent me all the choke parts for $25 shipped when it happened a second time.
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:45 AM

Just my option but I believe quadrajet power is too small an operation to handle their workload, as a result in my case customer service and quality control was lacking. Also making the customer pay for shipping back to them so they can fix their issues is not right. I asked about being reimbursed and never got a response and it came back with issues so it sits on my bench.
Old October 7th, 2018, 11:21 AM

Oh yeah...I hear you. My carb from Quadrajet Power is just sitting here, too. I never used it, it's like a $450.00 turd. Many guys on the Buick forum have had probs with his carbs, too. You know...it's not really the carb, it's the customer service that sucks. Everything was great, 'til it arrived. Then when I said, hey...the plating is poor, the fittings look like they were hammered in with a brick, and you sent me the wrong gasket...then the communication slowed down...BIG TIME!!! He said to return it and I asked for a return shipping label. I asked for days, I called, I emailed, he ignored me. When I called to order, there was no problem contacting him. When I had a question, there was no problem with him answering my emails. But once he got my $, that was it. Anyways...here's the pics of when I took it out of the box. Notice the plating over the fuel inlet. Notice the absolutely hammered and crooked vac fitting. The slashed fuel bowl fitting on the top looks like a Smurf hat, too...because it was pounded in. Notice the gasket, that's a Caddy gasket. Finally, he removed the secondary lockout lever, wrong rods and jets, and wrong pulloff. Where's my stuff? It's on ebay being sold as used. You are lucky your lockout lever is on there, they love to take those off and sell them on ebay. You don't need 'em for "racin" ! Enjoy the pics, and remember...if your carb arrives like mine, YOU GOT TO PAY TO SHIP IT BACK YOURSELF!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0207.JPG (1.24 MB, 41 views)
100_0208.JPG (1.26 MB, 40 views)
100_0009.JPG (1.24 MB, 39 views)
100_0210.JPG (1.23 MB, 38 views)
100_0219.JPG (1.26 MB, 37 views)

Last edited by mrolds69; October 9th, 2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old October 7th, 2018, 12:12 PM

Word of mouth will make or break a business. Customer service is a premium demand these days. Hard working people want quality work and will usually pay extra. I don't know anyone who has $450.00 to flush down the toilet. I'm glad for this forum which can warn others of shoddy workmanship. Thanks mrolds69
Old October 7th, 2018, 02:09 PM

For a Q-Jet rebuild, can't go wrong with Sparky or Ken. Had multiple carbs done by them, and 100% satisfied.

I called Ken on a Sunday for some technical help, and he answered the phone and helped me.

What I do know is that the negative posts for the Quadrajet Power folks is highly damaging.

I would not use them based upon the negative feedback.

Old October 7th, 2018, 04:01 PM

Here on the East side of the country I use Larry Isgro Carb's. He's always done me right and usually will do a Q-jet for $250. Bonus he's about 45 min. from me. He's at all the major east coast shows as well. Rhinebeck, Carlisle, Hershey to name a few and he's been advertising in Hemmings since the early 80's.
Old October 9th, 2018, 07:27 AM

I sent mine to Chris's Carb Shop in Dayton Ohio, They also did my HEI Distributor could not be pleased more. Excellent work and customer service, after they complete the build they will call you to hear your carb running on there engine.
Old October 9th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Who's good for Ford Autolites?

Thanks.
Old October 10th, 2018, 08:43 PM

BSeigPaint, thank you for the kind words. We do appreciate it.

Our company has grown, but we do remain small family business. This past year, we made significant investments in commercial plating systems, chemicals, parts inventories, and other equipment to improve on our finished product. It is our desire to restore these 50 year old Quadrajets to power the cars we all enjoy. We supply parts and services. Perfect? Nope. But we are committed and passionate our business.
We are not able to be instant communicators, but we do our best. We will also work with anybody to help in a situation. We are willing, but requires both parties.
If you have one of our built carbs before our commercial plating investment, we would be happy to refinish it for you. Or if there are other concerns you have, please let me know. Mark@quadrajetpower.com
Our policies have changed as well and are standard with our industry. Many of you small business owners understand how difficult it is to protect your business and your customers.
We appreciate your business, and feedback. We intend to continue to improve all areas of our small business to offer the best parts and services for many, many years to come.
Thank you again for the mentions and business.
Old October 11th, 2018, 06:36 AM

Bunch of crap...this guy had DAYS to respond, he deliberately ignored my calls and emails. His policies are absolutely not standard practice. They are neither passionate, nor committed. They ARE greedy, I'll give them that. Look at the pics of my carb again. As a small business owner would you send something like that out? Would you charge me $$$ to send it back to fix it? Does that look like it was worked on by a "passionate" owner or company? I'm 65, I've worked with 100's of "small" businesses and
never...never...ever...ever...worked with a place like this...never...ever...ever. Like I said, I'm glad you are happy with your carb(s) but this guy sold me a $400. plus doorstop and I'm not the only one. And....it's not even a good looking doorstop!
Old October 11th, 2018, 09:25 AM

The internet has changed everything in regard to customers and their perceptions.

This thread cost the vendor a lot in lost business.

Old October 11th, 2018, 09:41 AM

In my case it was "no perception" that I paid return shipping to fix what was issues on their end and still had a carb that was not right in function and finish.

Last edited by woodie582; October 11th, 2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: info
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by My442
For a Q-Jet rebuild, can't go wrong with Sparky or Ken. Had multiple carbs done by them, and 100% satisfied.

I called Ken on a Sunday for some technical help, and he answered the phone and helped me.
++ per Sparky... rebuilt my '67 Toro & '69 H/O carbs, great job on both!!
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by woodie582
In my case it was "no perception" that I paid return shipping to fix what was issues on their end and still had a carb that was not right in function and finish.
I was not talking about dissatisfied customers, only potential future customers.
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:39 AM

Don't use Carburetors USA either.