General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S. Wont spark

Old October 3rd, 2018, 11:45 AM

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S. Wont spark

I have a 72 cutlass s with a rocket 350. I am not getting power to the coil or distributor after using a test light. Obvioulsy plugs are not getting spark so it wont start. I have new spark plug wires, ignition coil, distributor and battery. Not sure what to do next to get it going. The car was running fine and died on me so I had to tow it home and now it wont start at all and I cant figure out why. Thanks.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Custlasss1972
I am not getting power to the coil .
well that would be a good place to start.does it turn over?

Old October 3rd, 2018, 11:52 AM

Coil is brand new.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:24 PM

Yes, but with no power to the coil there can't be any spark. Also, new does not always mean good, but if there's no power at the coil+ terminal then it's not a coil problem. Trace the wire back from the coil + to the firewall and see if there is power at the firewall connector.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Remove the 2 wires off the coil+ terminal and run a jumper wire from the battery+ terminal to the coil+ terminal and see if the car starts with the key. If it does that eliminates the cars system and only tests the coil and distributor. Note the jumper needs to be removed to turn off the car. If the car does not start check your point gap and distributor timing position in relation to #1 TDC.
Old June 13th, 2023, 06:10 PM

Im having this same issue

I have the 350 rocket, it was running before It went to a shop to have the engine painted.. horror story, but that's besides the point. So, it wants to turn over but won't fire. New hei distributor, intake, water/steering pumps, alternator also. New battery, wires, plugs.
we've tuened the motor to top dead center 2 times already just to make sure. She seems to want to kick off better when she's retard a little. The coil has power, she's getting fuel, the carb is new everything seems to be correct but she won't actually turn over. I don't know what else to do at this point.
Old June 13th, 2023, 07:16 PM

I'm confused by your statement, "wants to turn over, but won't fire". Are you saying the starter is engaging and the engine cranks, but won't start?

If so, check for spark by pulling a plug wire off the spark plug. Old school would insert a screw driver and lay it on the manifold, crank the engine and look for spark.

If the engine isn't turning, check the ground wire for the starter. Since the engine was repainted, you might have a bad ground. Just sand the metal bare and reattach the wire.

It's also possible the starter solenoid isn't engaging properly. Check that the starter is installed correctly. You can drop the starter on a 350 easily and bench test it.

Hope this gives you some ideas of things to look at. Others here can give you much better and informed advice.
Old June 14th, 2023, 09:18 AM
72Cutlass S

If I may, I worked at dealer service departments for almost 30 years. There are only two ways to accurately describe a no start condition. A crank no start meaning the starter is capable of turning the engine over but the engine does not start and run. Or a no crank no start meaning the starter will not turn the engine over even a starter that spins but does not contact the flywheel is still considered a no crank no start. It is written like this on repair orders across all makes of cars to eliminate this kind of confusion with the concern.
Sorry, might be a pet peeve of mine.
Old June 15th, 2023, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by joes_olds
I'm confused by your statement, "wants to turn over, but won't fire". Are you saying the starter is engaging and the engine cranks, but won't start?

If so, check for spark by pulling a plug wire off the spark plug. Old school would insert a screw driver and lay it on the manifold, crank the engine and look for spark.

If the engine isn't turning, check the ground wire for the starter. Since the engine was repainted, you might have a bad ground. Just sand the metal bare and reattach the wire.

It's also possible the starter solenoid isn't engaging properly. Check that the starter is installed correctly. You can drop the starter on a 350 easily and bench test it.

Hope this gives you some ideas of things to look at. Others here can give you much better and informed advice.
Yes I've tried all of those things. It does not seem to be getting spark. Rebuilt the distributor even. Paint has been sanded, the ground wires seem to be getting hot. Im thinking making a 4th ground to relieve some of the power running through the wires. Starter engages and it just rolls and rolls but never actually starts. It gets soooooo close though. Solenoid is good, starter is installed correct.
Old June 15th, 2023, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by gs72
If I may, I worked at dealer service departments for almost 30 years. There are only two ways to accurately describe a no start condition. A crank no start meaning the starter is capable of turning the engine over but the engine does not start and run. Or a no crank no start meaning the starter will not turn the engine over even a starter that spins but does not contact the flywheel is still considered a no crank no start. It is written like this on repair orders across all makes of cars to eliminate this kind of confusion with the concern.
Sorry, might be a pet peeve of mine.
No worries. This is a crank no start situation