General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question?!?!

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2018, 01:47 PM

Question Question?!?!

I was recently on an engine building website, that shall remain anonymous, and i was inquiring about a 455 ci that they are marketing. Low & behold the salesman starting speaking to me about an ls3 instead! Now far be it from me to knock technology, but i just wanted an old fashioned 455 crate engine for my 1987 cutlass supreme project called " blue magic! " he started explaining about the budget & the weight of the ls & i politely told him i'd get back to him. Now, my question is, am i wrong for wanting to put the 455 in my cutlass or should i think about that ls3....what's your take on it?
Old September 27th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. There really are no real "crate engines" available for Oldsmobile so to speak. If you want a 455 then you need to build or have one built by a reputable machine shop or builder. Your not wrong to build your car as you wish, that's what makes this hobby interesting.
Old September 27th, 2018, 02:12 PM

Since YOU are paying the money.....get what YOU want.
Old September 27th, 2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by blue magic olds 455
Now, my question is, am i wrong for wanting to put the 455 in my cutlass or should i think about that ls3....what's your take on it?
I think it depends on what your goals are combined with your attitude towards blending brands. If you feel it's important to keep an Olds powerplant in your Cutlass then I think you know your answer. If performance numbers and value for dollar is your goal then take a look at the specs of both engines and decide which one is best for you. Maybe the LS3 is a better engine but I have no idea.

Old September 27th, 2018, 04:55 PM

The one thing LS engine lack is toque. Sure, add a turbo and that changes. And don’t believe the crap about junkyard engines running oin the 10s for 1000. Once you buy the engine, and the electronics to run it, and all the plumbing to fuel it, a carbureted 455 is pretty cheap. Build the short block stout, you can always upgrade the top end.

Last edited by matt69olds; October 9th, 2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old September 27th, 2018, 06:42 PM
W30

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The one thing LS engine lack is toque. Sure, add a turbo and that changes. And don’t believe the crap about junkyard engines running on the 10s for 1000. Once you buy the engine, and the electronics to fun it, and all the plumbing to fuel it, a carbureted 455 is pretty cheap. Build the short block stout, you can always upgrade the top end.
agree I had a 455...and thought a new car would be fun.
06 gto did some things to it...junk ...no fun
I'd do..efi/ overdrive
Old September 28th, 2018, 08:58 PM

I feel qualified to chime in. My car is a 71 Cutlass with an iron block .030 over 6.0 LS with ported heads, cam and long tube headers running a 2800 stall and 4l70e trans and 3.73 rear. It put down 385tq and 405hp at the wheels on a chassis dyno. I believe in day to day driving a stout 455 with a low stall converter would be more fun with the low end tourque to constantly play with. My 6.0 doesnt top 350tq until 3200 rpm, so it is a whole different animal than a BBO. That said, my car is a ton of fun on the street but it really wants to rev to make power. It's all a matter of finding out what you want and making a well thought out plan on how to achieve it.
Old September 29th, 2018, 02:24 PM

Id bet the salesman knows n othing about Olds engines, nor does his machinist/builder. Their pushing what they have on hand. Stick to your guns and get 500 ft/lbs at 1600 rpm.
Old October 9th, 2018, 05:37 AM

Question What about wheels & tires?

I'm going big or going home on this car, and i know i will **** off some cutlass enthusiasts on the way. But it's my project and i'll do it my way! My question is on wheels & tires. I want to put 22" wheels & tires on my cutlass, but i've been offered 20" instead. I do want the 22's on my ride, but cannot seem to get a straight forward answer on this issue. Do i need a lift kit? Do i need to cut into the body? What's the friggin' deal here? Can anyone enlighten me on this situation? Thank you for all responses, good or bad....god bless!!!!
Old October 9th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

blue magic there are probably few if any folks here who have put 22 inch wheels on a Cutlass of your vintage. Hench you are probably not going to get very many responses.
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Jeff

Yup, probably the wrong site to ask about how to fit 22's. The ol' personal preference, but I'd say you're going TOO big, so you will stay home (in your garage whilst you spend money and time on the modifications). Good luck on your project!
Old October 9th, 2018, 10:20 AM

" Blue Magic" wasn't that the name of the crap they were selling in the movie " American gangster"
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:51 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You want to put 22" wheels on your Cutlass, well I won't cry myself to sleep over that, then again you won't lie awake because I think it will look horrendous.
Perhaps a lowrider forum will be better able to help you with that.

And I also think "keep it Oldsmobile" and find somewhere who can build your 455 to a good standard. If you decide to change from an Oldsmobile engine you have to factor in changing the transmission and modifying the wiring, re-routing hoses, fabricating an exhaust system, and notifying your insurers about any modifications.

But it's your car, do as you see fit and good luck!.

Roger.
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:05 AM
Administrator

I'm going big or going home on this car, and i know i will **** off some cutlass enthusiasts on the way. But it's my project and i'll do it my way! My question is on wheels & tires. I want to put 22" wheels & tires on my cutlass, but i've been offered 20" instead. I do want the 22's on my ride, but cannot seem to get a straight forward answer on this issue. Do i need a lift kit? Do i need to cut into the body? What's the friggin' deal here? Can anyone enlighten me on this situation? Thank you for all responses, good or bad....god bless!!!!
Not many on this site do big wheels, be patient. If you need an answer right away, you may consider trying some of the Olds pages on facebook.
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:44 AM

So I know a little about this, I can tell you that going with 22's you will definitely have to cut/angle the bottom of the fenders or the tires will not turn fully without hitting, I Knew a guy who installed 22's on his 84 regal thats all he did but he also angled the rear quarters to match the fenders it turned out pretty well if youre into that look, no lift kit, you should be able to get away with 20's but may run into rubbing when turning, from what I have seen a lift kit is not necessary until 24's do you just want the big rim or are you looking for performance, if performance I am running 17's with a low profile they are great and the overall height tire and rim is the same as my factory 15's this was also a benefit as it does not affect the speedometer reading whatsoever, hope this was of some help.