General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fair labor costs?

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
"I need a couch"

Fair labor costs?

I have a 68 Vista Cruiser. I added aftermarket cruise control, a new brake booster, converted the a/c to 134, re mounted the weights on the wheels from outside to inside and changed the oil and filter, I paid for all parts. The car is mint. What would you guys estimate the man hrs required on such for a good mechanic and what is a fair labor rate? I live in the South.
thanks
Old September 23rd, 2018, 04:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

As far as labor and shop rates go, almost everything now is done by a flat rate schedule. The mechanic isn't part of the process of billing hours anymore - it's done by computer or a manual that quotes the minimum number of hours and pricing for a job. Often a good mechanic can do a job in less time than the flat rate states, but that's how the shop makes money. They won't give you discount for your antique car, nor will they give a discount if they finish in less time. A lot of the mechanics now probably would have trouble working on your car as it would confuse them by it's simplicity. Oh, except for the brake booster - it's a real PITA to get those bottom nuts. I should mention that most shops don't like customers bringing in their own parts because they can't mark them up. Some shops I know will actually add a surcharge if you bring in your own parts.

I honestly hope you find a qualified mechanic who will give you a good deal. Shop rates aren't cheap anymore.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 05:33 PM
Hookers under Hood

I agree with Allan when he mentioned, supplying the parts. Most if not all shops in my area will not install customer supplied parts. For the part kickback costs along with warranty reasons.
Having said that, I think you will be into about 6-6.5 hrs for the work you stated above, plus brake fluid costs if not supplied .
Shops here are anywhere from $95.00 - $110.00 / hr .
Good luck with the repair !

Eric
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Labor costs are all over the map, from $60 for a small shop to well over a $100 at dealerships.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:36 PM
same but different

I'm seeing shop rates at about $85/hr in my area + or - . I'll agree that this work is in the six hour range.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Good luck with the repair !
The way I read the OP's post, he already DID the repair. It appears that, for reasons he hasn't explained, he's just looking to get an idea of what his time was worth or what a garage might have charged him.

Old September 24th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I don't know ... a lot of us will say, "I did such-and-such to my car," when what we mean is, "I paid a guy to do such-and-such to my car."
Old September 24th, 2018, 08:38 AM

Flat rate factory books exist for most every modern year of Oldsmobile, for common shop jobs. I have them from I think 1949 to about the mid sixities, someplace. The rates take in to consideration the varying aptitude of mechanics, who hopefully had access to factory tools to expedite any job. Look up the job, multiply by shop rate with nuisance factor added. There is your total cost plus parts and shop materials.

Last edited by coldwar; September 24th, 2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: thought
Old September 24th, 2018, 08:42 AM

I only do work on the side now and then and I will not touch something for less than $50 per hour. That is likely going to change to $60 in the near future. I try to not work on other peoples stuff any more. I try to find something low enough priced that I can buy it and work on it for myself. It has to be low enough priced that I can cover my labor in my selling price.
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
I don't know ... a lot of us will say, "I did such-and-such to my car," when what we mean is, "I paid a guy to do such-and-such to my car."
And there are also a lot of us who mean I did such and such to my car and mean that.
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Allan R
And there are also a lot of us who mean I did such and such to my car and mean that.
Yes, but you will concede that you have met the first type, no?

Old September 24th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Absolutely. I also have met the type who have no clue that a car needs maintenance.
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Bfg

Bringing your parts to a repair shop is like bringing your own steak to a restaurant!
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bfg
Bringing your parts to a repair shop is like bringing your own steak to a restaurant!
I agree with this statement for maintenance service like brake work and oil changes. However if you are adding options to a collector then car bringing your own parts is understandable.
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:50 AM

First, I wouldn't even know anyone in my area that knows/works on Oldsmobiles and/or mechanical work on 1960s cars. Pretty much everyone that knows these cars are "older." Being younger (only 68) I'm still working on my own stuff. That being said, I'm curious about how much they charged him.
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
I agree with this statement for maintenance service like brake work and oil changes. However if you are adding options to a collector then car bringing your own parts is understandable.
Yes, brakes, tires and oil are pretty much a no brainer, same with coolant change/flush, transmission rebuild and service. (betcha there are a lot of shops out there who don't know how many grease zirks they would have to grease either) diff fluid/gear change etc. But most shops look at the convenience factors and throw away parts now rather than anything else. So if you were a shop owner, how would you factor in things like specialty Gardner exhaust or a factory rear defrost on glass (which is not reproduced) etc? A shop isn't going to take the time to source out these items and wait for them to arrive. I know a shop can't find an NOS Cruise control like the one I have so that's why it gets installed by me; it's not all that hard with the right tools.
Old September 24th, 2018, 02:43 PM
"I need a couch"

As always thank you for all the feedback. Many were perceptive as I failed to make my post clear.
My pals call me "The Most Dangerous Mechanic." After 20 plus yrs of chasing old stuff I am still learning the difference between the open & closed end of a wrench. So, beyond changing oil, I do very little. Sad, I know. Sometime I question my manhood. I walked around my 1st National Meet in Gettysburg drooling but dazed and confused..Ha But I do love old Olds!
Anyhow, I have a friend that is a full time ASE certified mechanic (35yrs or so), is an ole gear head & has done a good bit of work on my cars for yrs. Always believed him to be reasonable on his charges. He has a shop at his residence and will work Sat evenings and Sundays for folks like me. He, like many here in Mississippi is a Chevelle enthusiast. But knows old cars in general.
So I took my wagon to him, gave him a list of things I wanted done & provided everything in the way of parts. After a couple of months (he had to care for a dying brother) he told me the Vista was ready. I asked him how much I needed to bring in cash and he said $900. I didn't say anything because I have had such good and fair dealing with him for a long time. After thinking about it, I wondered if the bill wasn't several hundred dollars too high. Thus, my post. Mainly to ask how long would some work like that take on a mint wagon.
i believe I got my answer from you guys.
i will provide a final post after I pick up the wagon, speak face to face and ask what was so darn expensive...or what took the most time, and what he is charging on an hrly rate.
p.s. Y'all know the wagon. I found it on this site. I met the owner at Nationals. What a great guy!
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:03 PM
"I need a couch"

The Wagon

The wagon that was being worked on..
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Hookers under Hood

I think $900 is a high for the work performed on a "MINT" car. Rusty nuts can bring the price up some but... none of the work performed would involve rusted nuts or bolts to get out or needing heated, drilled and possibly easy outed/re-tapped or heli-coiled .
Some older cars require extensive time getting some rusted stuff out, especially here in Ontario Canada.
On a side note:,
If you are happy with his work and know that the job was done properly on your Old wagon then... It will be worth the price just knowing it was done properly IMO.
I hope the work is up to your satisfaction, enjoy the new cruise control, nice braking and air !

Eric
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:08 PM

If he is at $60 per hour that is 15 hours. I guess I would have to see what the cruise control setup is and what kinds of troubles he ran into.
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by pops1958
I added aftermarket cruise control, a new brake booster, converted the a/c to 134, re mounted the weights on the wheels from outside to inside and changed the oil and filter, I paid for all parts.
I asked him how much I needed to bring in cash and he said $900.
So you had done the following for your $900:

1. added cruise control
2. new brake booster (but we assume nothing else? No new master cylinder or other brake parts?)
3. converted the AC to 134. This is a loaded statement because "converting the A/C to 134" can mean as little as changing a few seals and recharging with new refrigerant to a revamp of the entire system (new or rebuilt compressor, new evaporator, and more). This alone can easily cost the $900. You need to provide more details than simply "converted to 134." Exactly what parts did you provide, and what, exactly, did he do?
4. rebalanced the wheels. $20 at Firestone
5. oil and filter change. $30 at Firestone

The last two are nothing. The first two are probably $100 to $200 labor total. The real money is in #3. I had the A/C system in a '73 Custom Cruiser "converted" to 134, total cost, including a replacement compressor, was about $1200.
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=jaunty75;1126883]So you had done the following for your $900:

2. new brake booster (but we assume nothing else? No new master cylinder or other brake parts?)
3. converted the AC to 134. This is a loaded statement because "converting the A/C to 134" can mean as little as changing a few seals and recharging with new refrigerant to a revamp of the entire system (new or rebuilt compressor, new evaporator, and more). This alone can easily cost the $900.

I couldn't agree with you more on the , " Loaded Question"
We can only assume he supplied the parts, seals etc.
The only shop cost I can see from the post, would be some lead stick on weight IMO,

Eric
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:40 PM
"I need a couch"

Now keep in mind I do not know exactly what he has done...yet. Other than announced it to be ready.
the Dakota digital was around $300 from Summit. I provided it.
The new Brake booster was simply to enhance the looks of the engine bay. I provided it. Nothing else needed brake wise.
All the components of a/c were functioning per last owner who is on this site. He is a Complete straight shooter. I had several cans of R-12. My mechanic said to covert over to 134.."it would be nothing to it." He bought no compressor, dryer, evaporator or condenser. Otherwise, I am assuming his costs as minimal. I did not provide the 134.
Heck I spent over $30 bucks on oil and filter. Bought just what the experts on this site use. I provided oil and filter.
i was trying to post the picture.
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Administrator

I can see $900 in labor for the service he provided. 3#'s of freon minimum, is over $100, change seals, vacuum system, etc... probably 3hours. Brake booster, at least an hour. Cruise control is probably a couple of hours. Tire rebalance, he's not Firestone nor a quick lube place, 3 of hours. Cleanup, some shop supplies, I'd say $900 is probably cheap.
Old September 24th, 2018, 05:47 PM
"I need a couch"

Again, thanks. I'll give you guys the details when I get her this week. The man has been mighty good to me in the past. But I was guessing between 5- $650.
i am headed to Cruisin the Coast, a weeklong party along our gulf coast through most coastal cities. I think they had 8,000 registered cars with untold unregistered cars.
Good food, parties, tunes and some great cars and Cruisin.
Anyone ever attended?
Old September 24th, 2018, 07:52 PM
72 Olds CS

this 68 ?

Old September 24th, 2018, 08:25 PM
same but different

At least were not talking about dentists. You can get a lot of work done but only every six months, (insurance) and you'll never know it was done right..er correctly. No pain right?

Prices for work are all over the place geographically speaking. The final quality is always open to interpretation depending on the miles consumed and the quality expected.
\
Your mileage will vary. Clear as mud compared to smiles per gallon.

Nice Wagon! Happy cruising.
Old September 25th, 2018, 06:12 AM
"I need a couch"

Yes, that'd be her..
Old September 25th, 2018, 08:11 AM

Hi Ken,

Paul from Mass......glad to see the wagon being improved.

$900 for the work you outlined is not outrageous.

If any of the repairs "go wrong", time can add up quickly.

"The sweet taste of low cost is quickly replaced with the sour taste of low quality"

If the work is done right, then you did OK.
Old September 25th, 2018, 11:25 AM
72 Olds CS

Yes, that'd be her..
funny thats the only 68 wagon that ever stuck in my mind, I like the color so i kept a pic of it.

Nice wagon!
Old September 25th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Rocket Renegade!

That's pretty cool! 400? 455?
Old September 25th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
That's pretty cool! 400? 455?
The 68 VC had only 2 size engines. Standard was the 350 2 bbl (250 hp), options were
  1. L65 - 400 2bbl 290 hp
  2. L74 - 350 4bbl 310 hp
  3. L78 - 400 4bbl 325 hp
Old September 25th, 2018, 04:44 PM

Anyhow, I have a friend that is a full time ASE certified mechanic (35yrs or so),
If you consider him a friend, and you aren't a mechanic yourself, just pay the $900. You don't need the aggravation that could result from questioning the bill

BTW that's a beautiful wagon

Last edited by allyolds68; September 25th, 2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old September 25th, 2018, 04:59 PM

The 68 VC had only 2 size engines. Standard was the 350 2 bbl (250 hp), options were
  1. L65 - 400 2bbl 290 hp
  2. L74 - 350 4bbl 310 hp
  3. L78 - 400 4bbl 325 hp
Are you sure about that? I didn't think you could get the 4 bbl 400 motor in the Vista but I don't have the options list for 68 vistas to know for sure

Last edited by allyolds68; September 25th, 2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old September 25th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Are you sure about that? I didn't think you could get the 4 bbl 400 motor in the Vista but I don't have the options list for 68 vistas to know for sure
From the 1968 Dealer Specs book. Option L78.

Old September 26th, 2018, 11:20 AM
"I need a couch"

Verdict on Labor Costs

$350 on cruise control installation..said going into steering column and making it so nothing could be seen under the hood took a while. Sorta looks factory though not chrome..but nice.
$200 on brake booster install. Said a couple of nuts were a pain, plus the 1st booster from In-Line would not hold vacuum. So he had to install twice.
$200 on a/c conversion and duct work although I still have to find the part that affixes to driver side vent. What is the part?
$100 to repair battery tray..I failed to ask about this..
$50 for the oil change.

Original 400 4 barrel..Edelbrock intake
Turbo 400

thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0679.JPG (837.3 KB, 73 views)
Old September 26th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Hookers under Hood

Good to hear you have it back and in good working order.
Other than the battery tray repair for $100., I think the price was reasonable for the other work performed.
Very nice vista ! Well worth the investment in repairs !
Enjoy the cruise, food and fun !

Eric
Old September 26th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Rocket Renegade!

1. L65 - 400 2bbl 290 hp
  2. L74 - 350 4bbl 310 hp
  3. L78 - 400 4bbl 325 hp
I know, but I was fairly certain that it didn't have its original engine. Apparently I was wrong.
Old September 29th, 2018, 08:01 AM

$350 on cruise control installation..said going into steering column and making it so nothing could be seen under the hood took a while. Sorta looks factory though not chrome..but nice.
$200 on brake booster install. Said a couple of nuts were a pain, plus the 1st booster from In-Line would not hold vacuum. So he had to install twice.
$200 on a/c conversion and duct work although I still have to find the part that affixes to driver side vent. What is the part?
$100 to repair battery tray..I failed to ask about this..
$50 for the oil change.

Original 400 4 barrel..Edelbrock intake
Turbo 400

thanks guys!
I still have one of those cruise control stalks in my tool box from when I was installing aftermarket cruise controls. That is not a bad price for a custom install. It can take hours just to get a bracket or sensor installed correctly so it looks nice but works right. I was installing at a production shop so the attitude was get it in quick and get it out the door. I'm a gear head so I always tried to make them as unobtrusive as possible but to spend the time to truly make it look clean is a luxury. Custom work on a classic car is expensive. If it works, pay the money and enjoy the ride.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:10 AM
golden rocket

Had the factory A/C installed in my 67 Delmont88 425. Most parts were in trunk when I bought it. However no mounting brackets, bolts, or condenser. POA valve was toast, also. due to my (medical) limitations, had a shop do the install. Upshot was compressor was froze up, POA valve had to be "converted", since there is no replacement, add in cost of condenser, brackets and bolts, came out to $1895.00, but I have cool air conditioning. Makes the wife happy! Shop rate is $85.00 an hour.
POPS1958 you did good pricewise for all you had done.