General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What Does This Engine Say To You?

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2018, 04:54 PM

I'd really appreciate your comments on what this engine says to you upon startup. I'm 1800 miles from the car, so before I take any further steps in the potential buying process, I asked for a video of a "cold" start of the engine. Based upon how quickly it fired up, and how quickly after startup the engine was able to be revved, I'm wondering if it actually was a "cold" start. Also, does the exhaust condensation discharge at the end of the video give you any cause for concern or do you attribute that to the car just sitting for long periods of time without being driven enough to dry out the exhaust? Thanks in advance for your time and advice!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Eng Start 70SX.mov (3.28 MB, 139 views)

Last edited by AZOldsFan; September 20th, 2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old September 20th, 2018, 06:01 PM
72 Olds CS

hmm a cold start in AZ may be different than a cold start in mass. Tonite we can expect low 50s tomorrow morning it may take a turn and pump of the gas to start. That car appears to be inside my car starts quick n easy at 70°

the exhaust condensation suggests to me that it was a cold start as there was no stain there before.
Old September 20th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Administrator

X2, it was a cold start based on the condensation.
Old September 20th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's a completely normal start. It sounds healthy too.

The only time you need to worry about condensation is when the engine is run for only very short periods of time. Don't forget that H20 (water) is a natural byproduct of combustion. The car needs to be run for a minimum of 15 minutes for that exhaust to warm up, and even more to warm up the engine oil.

Have you not ever been in traffic and noticed the car in front has what appears to be water coming out the tail pipe? Same thing as what you're asking about here Thats a sign that the engine has only recently been started and the moisture in the exhaust system hasn't been evicted. Even if that car had been started 10 times for customers I don't think that's going to affect the exhaust for the most part. You might want to ask the seller if the exhaust is stainless or conventional steel. If it's stainless you can get that crud out easily with a short 20 mile highway trip. That will dry not only the exhaust (especially mufflers) and heat the engine oil properly too.

BTW it looks like a nice 1970 Cutlass Supreme Vert. Love the color combination. I see that the car has a 2bbl carb on that 455. That was an upgrade option (RPO L33 @ $107.43) over the 350 4bbl that was standard equipment. That means this car also has a TH400 transmission.

Good luck with your decision.
Old September 20th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Rocket Renegade!

The exhaust moisture is of no concern. My car does that every time it sits for more than a couple of days.

RR makes a good point about the weather, Where is the car located?
Old September 20th, 2018, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
The exhaust moisture is of no concern. My car does that every time it sits for more than a couple of days.

RR makes a good point about the weather, Where is the car located?
The car is in Milwaukee, WI.
Old September 20th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The car sounds good to me and the condensation is normal for a cold start. Since the car is an SX it would have a 455 with a 2 bbl carb on it and turbo 400 transmission. It will also have highway gears in the rear. Looks like a nice car.
Old September 21st, 2018, 01:31 AM

My thoughts are for the most part there were no REALLY bad noises, but still some things that need attention. I heard what sounds to me like an exhaust leak on the passenger side, and possibly either rocker or lifter noise on the driver side. Neither of these are fatal and probably wouldn't stop me from driving the wheels off of it, but they should be addressed.

Oh...and the valve covers are on backwards ( the wrong side).
Old September 21st, 2018, 02:53 AM

Sounds a little rough, throttle response seems lazy. original engine may need a rebuild, agree with snvt442 about the exhaust and lifter noise
Old September 21st, 2018, 05:17 AM

It's fine other than the rocker covers being installed backwards.
Old September 21st, 2018, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by AZOldsFan
Buy me.