General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

69 outside door mirror loose

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2018, 05:46 PM

69 outside door mirror loose

I have been racking up some miles on my 69 this summer, and loving every minute. However, those miles are also changing what use to be minor inconveniences to major hassles. One of which is the door mirror. It’s a reproduction from the Parts Place (I think) that replaced the reproduction I had before with the silver backing peeling off. The issue is bumps and railroad crossings will move the mirror out of adjustment. When it was fairly new, it would move sometimes closing the door, now the slightest bump requires adjustment. Not that big a deal with the windows down, but a hassle with them up. Sure, I could get another reproduction mirror and be ok for a year or 2, I’m interested in a long term fix. Has anyone tried to install G body mirrors on a older A body? Or any other make? I don’t have a G body car around to compare body lines to see how well the mirror would follow the door contour, or if a little bodywork to the mirror base would solve that issue. Also, the cable adjustment inside would be nice. It’s a slow night at work (machine wrecked) so I’m letting my mind wander.
Old September 19th, 2018, 06:24 PM

What do you think about a factory chrome remote mirror for the drivers door? There is no match for the passenger side, but if you were OK with that it would be the easiest swap using the factory door holes/support.

John
Old September 19th, 2018, 06:39 PM

I have considered a factory “power” mirror, I bet there expensive, are they being reproduced? I was thinking G body because those would be a dime a dozen!
Old September 19th, 2018, 06:47 PM

Not power, but has a **** that attaches to the inside door panel so you can adjust it without rolling down the window. I've got some used ones, but if your car is really nice you may want to get a reproduction one. But be sure you get the correct one as full sized cars used one that looks similar, and the 1970 is also similar but not the same.

Here's some old threads discussing these mirrors.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-mirrors.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rt-mirror.html
Old September 19th, 2018, 07:13 PM

I put '73 Omega sport mirrors on my '68 once upon a time.