General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Old iron

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2018, 06:20 PM

Old iron

Let’s face it, old iron doesnt ride or handle nearly as well as modern cars. They don’t have all the convience options of new cars, they don’t get great mileage, they generally have more squeaks and rattles, they aren’t as comfortable to drive as new cars.

Having said all that, why do we classic automotive enthusiasts enjoy our old iron? I just took a 300 mile round trip to a friends house for some transmission work (transbrake install&#128526 and drove the Olds. That same drive in my truck is boring and dull. I do have a nice stereo in the car, not nearly as good as my truck. My truck rides like a truck, but is a little smoother than the Olds. I have added a ton of sound deadener and insulation, but the car is still noisier than anything modern. I’m guessing anyone with a comparable classic shares the same shortcomings. So why would anyone in their right mind want to “suffer” in a classic?! Am I crazy because I look forward to getting the Olds out on the road? I tell anyone who will listen that if I didn’t have the car hobby, I would take up drinking! I figure this way I don’t suffer from hangovers.

Last edited by matt69olds; September 17th, 2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old September 16th, 2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
They don’t have all the convience options of new cars, they don’t get great mileage, they generally have more squeaks and rattles, they aren’t as comfortable to drive as new cars.
Well you just described my Jeep Wrangler to a T. It's 20 years old vs. the Cutlass that is closing in on 50 years old, and the Cutlass beats the new(er) vehicle in just about every aspect: comfy ride, handles well, no squeaks and very few rattles. It's all relative, I guess.
Old September 16th, 2018, 06:40 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

My old iron is my time machine and stress relief!
It has much more style then anything new and is much more fun to drive!
When driving one of my daily drivers I never get the thumbs up from others and I have never gotten the comment "nice ride!"
When I started driving we had 4 wheel drum brakes,bias ply tires and 8 tracks.My old iron has the drum brakes and 8 track,I do use radial tires because I drive my old iron any and everywhere.
It takes me back in time and the stress relief is priceless!
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:23 PM

Let’s face it, old iron doesnt ride or handle nearly as well as modern cars. They don’t have all the convience options of new cars, they don’t get great mileage, they generally have more squeaks and rattles, they aren’t as comfortable to drive as new cars.

this is exactly why i drive old cars.plus you can actually see the engine.my 66's the radios don't work.do i care???heck no i love to hear my cars roar plus.crank windows!!yeah baby. wing windows,floor vents,skinny A B and C pillars you can actually turn your head and see whats next to ya.trunks big enough for 6 kegs of beer or 6 bodies.or 2 with room.my grandma and grandpa used to go to the clay county fair here in iowa with a trick cow and they would sleep in the trunk of their 65 pontiac starchief..
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Administrator

I have never gotten into all the bells and whistles of the newer cars. Most of the cars and trucks we bought were not loaded up. I will admit that my wifes 06 and now current 07 Mustang GT 5 spd is a lot of fun to drive although compared to a lot of other cars its pretty mundane as far as options. It does get a lot of thumbs up and compliments.

My Cutlass is a lot of fun also and basically is a car that I enjoy myself. The wife doesn't much care for the old cars anymore.
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:49 PM

Great responses to a great thread! There's just something about turning the key and hearing 455 cubes roar to life under the hood that no matter how hard it's tried with today's performance cars, it will never be duplicated. The classics of yore were built unrefined and raw, and when I hear the tone of spent gasses running through headers and 3 inch exhaust, well, let's just say that nothing built today can compare.

And for those of you that own a classic driver, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that the one thing you won't experience in the modern machines is that old car smell...ahhhh!

Old September 17th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

I neither want nor need the "convenience options" on new cars. I'll never own a vehicle with a touch screen. I already have a nav system in my phone. I don't need connectivity or a hot spot because, frankly, when I'm in the car I'm DRIVING, not texting. The only time I really want power windows is on a convertible so you can put all four up or down easily with the top. I'm the only driver of my car, so why do I need power seats? With 500 ft-lbs stock, I sure don't need an eight, nine, or ten speed transmission. Every car I own has anti-lock brakes and traction control - it's built into my right foot! If I sense the wheels locking, I let up on the brake pedal. If I sense the rear wheels spinning, I let up on the gas (or don't... ). Heck, the only "advanced" feature that I appreciate on newer cars is the speed-controlled volume on the stereo.

I can certainly make my older cars handle and ride nearly as well as newer ones. The technology and parts are available. The biggest issue is front wheel caster.
Old September 17th, 2018, 07:45 AM

I love my old cars, not only do they put a smile on my face they put one on most everyone that sees if floating down the road. Half the fun off driving a classic is giving pleasure to others who would love to be in our shoes

In the Old's the only thing I regret is not having is A/C. Long trips and 100+ sucks at my age so I take something that does have A/C on those adventures..... Tedd
Old September 17th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

My wife thought I didn't want the Olds anymore because it is running like ***** the choke issue is driving me nuts. I am making it a long distance driver that should get 20 mpg imperial. I am putting back in the 2004R, cruise control and back up camera and GPS, had the camera, was going to add the camera to our 2010 Dodge Challenger. We decided to trade it in. The 2010 was decently optioned, our 2017 Challenger GT AWD has every option available, would never buy another one unless it has everything. The AWD, extra 55 hp/18 ft/lbs of torque, 8 spd auto and heated steering wheel make it worth the upgrade alone but every other feature makes it awesome to drive.
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
heated steering wheel
I have that in every car I drive. I just have to not put up the windshield sun shade and when I get in the car, the steering wheel is hot - usually too hot to even touch!
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Every car I own has anti-lock brakes and traction control - it's built into my right foot! If I sense the wheels locking, I let up on the brake pedal. If I sense the rear wheels spinning, I let up on the gas
Let's not trivialize the significant safety improvement that anti-lock brakes represent. They don't just "let up" if they sense the wheels locking. Rather, they apply the brakes on and off in rapid succession to keep the wheels turning to maintain steering and prevent skidding. They do this on-off-on-off thing far faster than a human could, and they don't require that the human remember to do it in the first place, which is the most important aspect. I'd MUCH rather drive in slippery situations WITH anti-lock brakes than without.
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Let's not trivialize the significant safety improvement that anti-lock brakes represent. They don't just "let up" if they sense the wheels locking. Rather, they apply the brakes on and off in rapid succession to keep the wheels turning to maintain steering and prevent skidding. They do this on-off-on-off thing far faster than a human could, and they don't require that the human remember to do it in the first place, which is the most important aspect. I'd MUCH rather drive in slippery situations WITH anti-lock brakes than without.
We'll have to disagree on this. Back when I was learning to drive (shortly after the earth cooled) they taught us the "stab and steer" technique. You pump the brakes as fast as you can and steer where you want to go. Growing up in Massachussets, I used this technique a LOT in the winter. Frankly, if I can't drive safely without all the electronic nanny BS, I shouldn't be driving.
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:37 AM

You pump the brakes as fast as you can and steer where you want to go.
This is fine for a car that doesn't have ABS and for an era when cars did not have it, but an ABS system can pump brakes far faster and more regularly and with the correct amount of force than a human, who is likely gripping the wheel for dear life and doing all he can to not panic, can, and the ABS system doesn't have to remember what they were taught in driver's ed. If it were this easy for a human to accomplish the same thing as an ABS system, we wouldn't need ABS systems.
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

This is fine for a car that doesn't have ABS and for an era when cars did not have it, but an ABS system can pump brakes far faster and more regularly and with the correct amount of force than a human, who is likely gripping the wheel for dear life and doing all he can to not panic, can, and the ABS system doesn't have to remember what they were taught in driver's ed. If it were this easy for a human to accomplish the same thing as an ABS system, we wouldn't need ABS systems.
We have ABS systems because most drivers suck. Their only reaction to a panic situation is to freeze and stand on the brake pedal. We'd be a lot better off if people DID remember what they were taught in driver's ed - assuming they were actually taught something useful and not just shown the carnage movies to scare them.

As for ABS being able to provide "the correct amount of force", how exactly do you think that happens? I can't speak to the newest cars, but certainly the ABS in my 1999 truck doesn't measure or regulate brake line pressure. All it does is sense wheel lockup and pump the brakes until the wheels are turning again. That's no different that doing it with your foot on the pedal. I've also found a flaw in the programming of the system in my truck. Near my house there is a stop sign with a preceding bump. I'm always on the brakes as I approach this stop, and as soon as I hit the bump with the truck unloaded, the rear suspension unloads and the ABS senses the wheel lockup and relieves pressure. The first few times this happened I freaked, but now I'm used to it. Pressing harder on the pedal overcomes the momentary loss of brake pressure. I can't say that I'm happy with this design.

I also note the recent GM recall of Suburbans et al because of power steering software issue. Sorry, but if you power steering needs software, you have a much bigger problem.
Old September 17th, 2018, 12:23 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I neither want nor need the "convenience options" on new cars. I'll never own a vehicle with a touch screen. I already have a nav system in my phone. I don't need connectivity or a hot spot because, frankly, when I'm in the car I'm DRIVING, not texting. The only time I really want power windows is on a convertible so you can put all four up or down easily with the top. I'm the only driver of my car, so why do I need power seats? With 500 ft-lbs stock, I sure don't need an eight, nine, or ten speed transmission. Every car I own has anti-lock brakes and traction control - it's built into my right foot! If I sense the wheels locking, I let up on the brake pedal. If I sense the rear wheels spinning, I let up on the gas (or don't... ). Heck, the only "advanced" feature that I appreciate on newer cars is the speed-controlled volume on the stereo.

I can certainly make my older cars handle and ride nearly as well as newer ones. The technology and parts are available. The biggest issue is front wheel caster.
I suspect Joe and my abs control on our old cars called is not getting into a situation where it is required. One drawback of modern cars is drivers are tempted to drive beyond their limitations, partly because the car will help get them out of trouble, and partly because if it all goes wrong you are protected by pretensioned seat belts, airbags, and a car that dies for you.Old cars are much less safe than modern one all else being equal, so I redress the balance by concentrating on driving safely and making sure I stay out of harms way.

So why do I prefer driving my Oldsmobile as opposed to my dd?. I like the way I get a smooth comfortable ride and looks from other road users, all for a gas bill maybe double what I'd get from a 1.25 liter Ford.

Roger.
Old September 17th, 2018, 01:00 PM

We love 'em because they give us a "feel of the road" and because we sense we are involved in the act of traveling on down the road, but it to the corner or across the state or country. In modern rides one feels they are being transported, vs. the feeling of doing the transporting in a old ride.

Also, one cannot discount the peace of mind/pleasant memories factor of being behind the wheel of an old ride!
Old September 17th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Jeff

Personally looking forward to automated driving technology for the trips to the cottage. Not so much because I hate driving, but rather because I hate how other people drive in traffic. Passing on the right because they think they can slip in a few cars ahead, causing all of us to have to slow down when they pull their jackass maneuver. I'll take the safety of ESC and ABS every. Single. Day. Comes from living in the snowbelt my whole life. Better stopping performance in snowy conditions? Yep, I'll take that. Better traction control? Take that, too.

(Full disclosure: I also work at one of the world's largest automotive suppliers, and the division I'm in is Chassis & Safety. We sell all the stuff that keeps y'all safe.)
Old September 17th, 2018, 01:21 PM

We have ABS systems because most drivers suck. Their only reaction to a panic situation is to freeze and stand on the brake pedal. We'd be a lot better off if people DID remember what they were taught in driver's ed - assuming they were actually taught something useful and not just shown the carnage movies to scare them.

As for ABS being able to provide "the correct amount of force", how exactly do you think that happens? I can't speak to the newest cars, but certainly the ABS in my 1999 truck doesn't measure or regulate brake line pressure. All it does is sense wheel lockup and pump the brakes until the wheels are turning again. That's no different that doing it with your foot on the pedal. I've also found a flaw in the programming of the system in my truck. Near my house there is a stop sign with a preceding bump. I'm always on the brakes as I approach this stop, and as soon as I hit the bump with the truck unloaded, the rear suspension unloads and the ABS senses the wheel lockup and relieves pressure. The first few times this happened I freaked, but now I'm used to it. Pressing harder on the pedal overcomes the momentary loss of brake pressure. I can't say that I'm happy with this design.

I also note the recent GM recall of Suburbans et al because of power steering software issue. Sorry, but if you power steering needs software, you have a much bigger problem.

That's one of my pet peeves. I like to steer with one finger. I don't need to "feel the road" as they say about less power-power steering. If one needs to feel the road, you're either going way too fast, or you don't know what you're doing.
Old September 17th, 2018, 05:40 PM

I enjoy reading these comments!! Im glad to see I’m not the only one who enjoys the raw “untamed” feel of old iron!!

im not as old as Joe (he started driving about the time the earth cooled, I rode a dinosaur to school!) but I have to agree with him and others about modern safety features making drivers overconfident. I taught all of my younger sister-in-laws to drive, and insisted they drive my truck to learn. If they can handle driving a MegaCab 3/4 ton 4x4, they can handle most anything they are likely to drive.

As far as antilock brakes, the biggest advantage is being able to steer in poor traction conditions. The abs modules can detect wheel speed and lockup far better and more accurately than a person. And being able to pulse the brakes far faster and more accurately than any driver. The ONLY time I have ever been in a situation where abs was a hindrance was during some off-road rock crawling, going downhill it’s beneficial to lock up the wheels, it piles up the rocks in front of the tires. Most guys either unplug the abs, or pull the abs fuse.

New cars are much quicker than the feel, that’s just a side effect of today’s musclecars being “domesticated “. Look at some of the quarter mile times today’s musclecars are running, it’s pretty easy to build a 11 second “stab and steer” car, chances are old iron turning those times are pretty rowdy.

I was just curious what other old iron enthusiasts enjoy about their classics. I enjoy the feel of the road, I don’t care for “powerful steering” of newer cars. I don’t care for the throttle control of new cars, when I stand on the loud pedal, I don’t want the pcm limiting power! With old iron, when you floor it, there is nothing questioning that you want tire smoke! When your being a little to aggressive with the steering wheel,old iron is very vocal that your pushing your luck.
Old September 17th, 2018, 06:56 PM

want to talk about something to freak you out.about 3 years ago my wife was driving my 2000 suburban.she called me and said she came to a stop sign and it would'nt stop.said it made a weird noise and good thing nobody was coming or she woulda ran into em.(this was in july).i said she was goofy and drove it all over and worked fine for me, for about a week! needed to use it to move a machine drove it about 100 miles was on the interstate and took my off ramp,as it was up hill i just let off the gas before i hit the off ramp and coasted up to the stop sign step on the brake,hear abs burping at me and no brakes whatsoever,so here i'm doing maybe 20 or so about 50 feet from the 4 lane cross road and no brakes,so i quick let off the pedal and back on hard and it stopped.never did it again that day or for the next week for that matter.
then did it again,got researching it and found there was an issue with rust getting under the abs sensor on the front wheel bearing,so pulled the sensor and scraped the rust off and that cured the problem.i thought that is a pretty crappy default in the system.it should have sensed it had an issue and defaulted to normal braking.instead of no brakes.

Old September 17th, 2018, 10:52 PM

We have abs mostly due to your idiot insurance companies, Along with self applying brakes, cars that back up into parking spots on their own and other features that take the human out of the picture. The best one is the Ford truck that has to back up on it's own with a trailer attached because the spaz behind the wheel can't do it. And yes most people suck. I think the older cars were safer in that people had to PAY ATTENTION and actually drive the car instead of texting and all of the other stupid things they do today and relying on all the nanny crap to keep them out of trouble.
The more of these so called safety features they put in vehicles the more people will suck at driving.
Old September 18th, 2018, 02:48 AM
Lansing built

I am on the fence. I like my new Silverados safety features, with 355hp a blast and rides well! Last year I took people in my supreme to the Woodward dream cruise and Grand Rapids 28th street cruise. Everybody said the same thing with air on and cruising down the highway it was just like riding in modern car.

We are old car people and i think everybody likes the visceral feel when listening to the engine or driving down the road! And the plus side is that are old cars accrue value instead of depreciate.

Pat
Old September 18th, 2018, 03:12 AM

Youre just fooling yourself if you pretend to be beating ABS. But thats fine, its your opinion, and just that. Every test states otherwise. But, as is the case usually, people rely on facts as long as they support their opinion. Otherwise, nah..

But a bit about the topic. Hmm. For me, part of the novelty is the fact its old, looks way better than most new cars, and has that different feeling about driving. And that not-so-sophisticated technology versus nowadays technology.
Old September 18th, 2018, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
most people suck. I think the older cars were safer in that people had to PAY ATTENTION and actually drive the car instead of texting and all of the other stupid things they do today and relying on all the nanny crap to keep them out of trouble.
The more of these so called safety features they put in vehicles the more people will suck at driving.
there ya go.take away power steering and brakes,make all cars manual transmission,and get rid of the cup holders and we could cure distracted driving.you will be so busy trying to drive you won't have time to text or take a drink,

Old September 18th, 2018, 07:12 AM

Old cars

My 50 year old car gets crap gas mileage, is loud, smells like burned hydrocarbons, has a rough ride, squeaks and rattles, lacks any modern safety features except the lap belt, and the vinyl seats burn my legs in summer. It is slower, less comfortable, has less conveniences ( although I would love a cup holder) and is less safe than most cars made in the last 10 years.

i don't care about any of that. The car brings a smile to my face every time I drive it and that is enough. It starts numerous conversations and has introduced me to many friendly people. I enjoy the hobbyist side of it too, making repIrs and betterments.

That said, while I do drive it several times a week, it is not my daily driver. A convertible with no AC in Texas takes car of that.
Old September 18th, 2018, 07:54 AM

Driving Old Car PROs:
- All of the thumbs-ups and complements
- Raw mechanical feel of the drive train and suspension (subjective, I know)
- The looks on the Mustang / Camaro driver's faces when I leave them sitting at the light

Driving Old Car CONs:
- Feel less safe amongst other "yay-hoos" on the road not paying attention (lap belts, no head rests, no airbags, no RH side mirror; lack of ABS and traction control isn't a factor here since I would never drive the old car in the snow, that'd be stupid)
- No A/C (hoping to resolve that in the future)
- No cup-holders
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Driving Old Car PROs:
- All of the thumbs-ups and complements
- Raw mechanical feel of the drive train and suspension (subjective, I know)
- The looks on the Mustang / Camaro driver's faces when I leave them sitting at the light

Driving Old Car CONs:
- Feel less safe amongst other "yay-hoos" on the road not paying attention (lap belts, no head rests, no airbags, no RH side mirror; lack of ABS and traction control isn't a factor here since I would never drive the old car in the snow, that'd be stupid)
- No A/C (hoping to resolve that in the future)
- No cup-holders
For a cup holder, I do it the way my father used to do it, put the cup between your legs.
For AC, I got it working, and if I had to guess, I'd say it's colder than my newer cars, but the blower is not quite as strong.
As for feeling less safe, I'm with you there, because as solid as the old tank is, I don't want it damaged because it'll take forever to find the parts needed for repairs if there ever was an accident.
Old September 18th, 2018, 10:26 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Remember older is better(in most cases).
Old September 18th, 2018, 10:39 AM

My cup holder wore a skirt
Old September 18th, 2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
My cup holder wore a skirt
LOL, mine does too, although sun-dresses are her (and my) preferred attire. However, she doesn't ride with me to work every day.
Old September 18th, 2018, 01:26 PM

doubtful anyone here disputes newer cars are safer, regardless of your own driving skill. would you put your own new-driver children behind the wheel of a 50 year old car ? or, would you rather be hit by another driver if you're in a newer car or a 50year old car ?

the old cars are fun and rewarding to own, but newer cars are better cars.
Old September 18th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Whats the difference in putting a new driver behind the wheel of an old car from when you started behind the wheel of these cars? I taught my son to drive in the 67 Cutlass back in 2009. Being his daily driver didn't work out for other reasons and another story.

You stated the obvious about the difference in safety, why ask which car you'd rather be hit in? Personally I prefer avoiding being hit to start with.

I would not say new cars are better cars because all cars are pieces of crap, just some are bigger pieces of crap than others.
Old September 18th, 2018, 02:38 PM

The ONLY time I have ever been in a situation where abs was a hindrance was during some off-road rock crawling,
That reminded me of one off-road trip where a fella's newer Jeep locked up the front wheels after going through an obstacle. Couldn't figure out why the wheels wouldn't turn, then someone in our group theorized that the ABS may be stuck, so we pulled the fuse, replaced it, and the brakes unlocked. Somehow the ABS freaked out, locked the brakes, and would not unlock them. Weird, huh?

going downhill it’s beneficial to lock up the wheels, it piles up the rocks in front of the tires.
I disagree with this, but then my Wrangler has a manual transmission and low gears. I leave it in first gear and engine brake down hill as this keeps the wheels turning so I can steer and keeps the speed slow - if the downhill is steep enough (like dropping into a deep ravine), sliding wheels can lead to excessive speed, which can then lead to loss of control.

Last edited by Fun71; September 18th, 2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
would you put your own new-driver children behind the wheel of a 50 year old car ?
That's exactly what I did. Teach your new drivers to have driving skill and not rely on an electronic nanny for safety.

Heck, when I was a new driver, my first car was a 1968 Vista (into which I swapped a 425).
Old September 18th, 2018, 06:23 PM

Still do not understand the current trend of upgrading an old car to a new car standard - Modern crate motor, modern suspension, 16+ taller wheels, 45+ less ratio tires, etc. Just buy a new car and add some old car design cues.
Old September 18th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Still do not understand the current trend of upgrading an old car to a new car standard - Modern crate motor, modern suspension, 16+ taller wheels, 45+ less ratio tires, etc. Just buy a new car and add some old car design cues.
Simple. The people who do this only watch cable shows where they build cars like this. They've never driven an older car, so they assume that since this is what the people with TV shows are doing, it must be the thing to do.
Old September 18th, 2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Personally I prefer avoiding being hit to start with.
Wouldn't we all. But we have no control over what the other guy does no matter how careful we are when we drive our cars. A fact of life, and why you want as much safety around you as you can get.

Old September 18th, 2018, 07:59 PM

Teach your new drivers to have driving skill and not rely on an electronic nanny for safety.
This is a non-sequitur. There is still PLENTY a new driver has to pay attention to. The safety features around him/her are PASSIVE (seat belts, air bags, headrests, collapsible steering column, etc. etc.) and are not driving the car for him.

Heck, when I was a new driver, my first car was a 1968 Vista (into which I swapped a 425).
We pretty much ALL learned how to drive on whatever cars were new or nearly new when we were 16 years old. Or whatever our parents owned when we were of age. I learned how to drive on a '71 Ford Pinto, a car that was two years old at the time. I took my driver's license driving test in it. Would I would want my child in 2018 to learn to drive on the same car? Not a chance.

All you need to see to convince you that you want your loved ones surrounded by as much modern technology as possible is in this video. It's been around before, but it's worth repeating. There is no question that the cars of today are immeasurably safer than the cars of decades ago.

In this video, a driver of the '09 Impala would be walking away. The family of the driver of the '59 Impala might very well be making his funeral arrangements.

Old September 18th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I actually would have loved locking brakes on the 70, yesterday. Idle set too high and the brake pedal going to the floor is a rush. I found the rear reservoir nearly empty, thought t felt spongy lately, time to track down the leak. Ahh, old car memories.
Old September 19th, 2018, 12:21 AM

That video comparing the old impala to the new ones has been beat to death. Many have speculated that it was a total rust bucket (kinda hard to not to think it’s a cosmetic restoration, judging from all the dirt and dust that went flying) also been accused of having no drivetrain, and of course, the infamous X frame, possibly the worst design. Try that same test with a early 70s impala, I bet the late model wouldn’t fair as well. I’m not suggesting that new car safety features aren’t a big improvement, but it’s simple physics. Big, heavy full frame vehicle vs lighter car? And I’m not entirely convinced crumble zones are the ultimate answer either. If so, why do race cars have 14 point cages? Don’t tell me those are designed to give in a collision!!!

I think we we can all agree the safest car in the world is only as safe as the person in the drivers seat.

Quick Reply: Old iron