General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

69 Cutlass S drop top heater core?

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2018, 04:25 AM

69 Cutlass S drop top heater core?

Thought my heater core was leaking on my a/c equipped 69. By-passed the core and flushed it thoroughly thinking I could get by until I had time to replace it. Well it is still dripping anti-freeze from the bottom seams of the heater/ac box. I thought that it probably had some residue left in there after I had bypassed it but I can clean the bottom off and the next day still have some drips. This has gone on for a couple of weeks now. I am not losing any anti-freeze from the radiator and it is not dripping inside the car- just out the bottom.
What am I missing here?
Old September 9th, 2018, 04:40 AM

The core was full will need to leak out, give it a few more days or just bite the bullet and replace it. Good lock

Johnny
Old September 9th, 2018, 06:06 AM
Administrator

If its disconnected and dripping, as said above, the coolant that leaked into the box and or remaining coolant in the heater core needs to drain. If its leaking into the car, lay a plastic garbage bag on the area its leaking and a towel over it to soak up the drips.
Old September 9th, 2018, 05:03 PM

To minimize how much coolant is left in the heater core, put an air hose on the top open fitting and blow the coolant out the open bottom fitting. Of course, be sure to wrap a towel around the core fitting to help catch the mess.
Old September 14th, 2018, 02:04 PM

So today I took the heater box out and removed the core. Not really wet but I had flushed it out a couple of weeks ago. I still have anti freeze leaking out of the evaporator box at the bottom. Not a lot but 15-20 drops a nite. Radiator is almost full. Does that evaporator box hold a lot of liquid because I can't see where else it could come from other then the heater core. I had no leakage inside the car- just off the bottom of the evap box.
Trying to put a pic on here to show you for your thoughts. Can I drillo a tiny hole (carefully) in the bottom of the evap box to drain it??
Old September 15th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Look closely at the bottom of the evap box, there is a hole, it should have a rubber flapper on it, might be stuck shut.