General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Another Jetfire 4 speed car, 1963

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Do you dilute it or use full strength ? Where do you spray it ? What do you use to spray it ? Only one application or do you have to go over it again a couple times ?
I put it in a cheap spray bottle. My first bottle leaked a little on my fingers and made them hurt really bad so I recommend some rubber gloves. I only sprayed the bottom side of the seats, all the metal surfaces after the interior was out. All the heater ducts and box. Anywhere that I found a mouse nest. The headliner is not any good on this car but I sprayed it till it was soaked with it. I can't tell where it left any stains but not sure I would have done this on a really nice headliner. My wife used it on some white fabric and did not hurt it. I used it as is and did not dilute it. Leave the car closed up after spraying and let it work on the cars interior and not escape to work on things outside the car. I left it closed up for 4 days. I did use to much and inside the car smells like this stuff. I used a big fan for most of a day and now that smell is gone. I "think" I have all the bad smell out. All the vinyl I scrubbed with Goop hand cleaner so did not use this stuff on it. I did spray the carpet but it was not in the car.
Old September 7th, 2018, 06:42 AM
Jeff

Ralph, Febreze is supposed to be non-staining, as it's intended to be sprayed directly on furniture and carpet to handle smells.
Old September 7th, 2018, 08:40 AM

Thanks for info I was not aware there was such a product. I will certainly try this on a car I have.
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:22 PM

I got the intake and timing cover back on. I only cleaned what had to be cleaned to put it together. The next guy can do all the cleaning during a restoration. I did find that the distributor is the original 4 speed distributor.

I had hopped that I could just spray out the carburetor with a couple cans of carb cleaner and put it back on the car. After looking at it closer there as no way that was going to be good enough. I decided to take it all the way apart and do a complete rebuild. Now I am thinking I may use the one I restored earlier this year. It is restored and ready to bolt on. I do have a problem with doing that, I have a pile of money and time in that restored unit. When I sell the car, they would not need to have that restored and would save them $4000 during the restoration but I would need $4000 more for the car. I may bolt that system on the car for now and see how the engine runs. I guess I will decide what I am doing tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2519.JPG (2.14 MB, 49 views)
IMG_2515.JPG (1.60 MB, 41 views)
Old September 8th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Well, I decided to just put the original back together. I soaked it in carb cleaner over night and finished cleaning this morning. It is a rebuild only, not a restoration. The fluid metering and turbo are going to be put back on as is and is not going to work. The sad thing is, anyone restoring the car in the future will have to have this all taking right back apart. I just need to see how the car is going to run and drive before I go to the point of restoring anything. I already have 6 hours in cleaning and putting it back together and a little over half done. I would like to have it back on the car and ready to fire up tomorrow.
Old September 8th, 2018, 05:48 PM

I got the carburetor done and back on the engine. It is ready to fire up now. If it is not raining tomorrow I plan to have it running. I will just put a garden hose in the water pump and run it that way to start with. Will also have to run a pipe from the manifold out the top. I don't want to blow any rust through the turbo that may be in the crossover pipe.
Attached Images
IMG_2526.JPG (1.99 MB, 27 views)
IMG_2527.JPG (2.13 MB, 25 views)
IMG_2529.JPG (1.50 MB, 35 views)
Old September 9th, 2018, 12:53 PM

IT ALIVE!

I only had a float bowl full of gas in it so it only ran a couple seconds. I did not want the pump feeding more fuel to it till I knew what would happen. This way if there were a fire it did not have much gas to cause problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJeU...ature=youtu.be
Old September 9th, 2018, 02:24 PM

That thing sounds pretty darn smooth. Love the little grin on your face when it fired.
Old September 9th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Olds Fever

As you said, it's alive... Nothing like the sound of success and seeing the fruits of your labor...
Old September 10th, 2018, 06:43 PM

I hooked up the fuel pump and put gas in the tank and fired it up. It runs really good. Had to adjust the dwell and timing a little but after that it runs really smooth. I just had the garden hose hooked to the water pump and another radiator hose hooked to the outlet to the ground. It flushed the block really well while it was running. I just had the water running really slow to allow the engine to warm up. Ran for around 30 minutes and then installed the radiator, fan, and the exhaust. Even drove it out the garage and back in. Put radiator flush in it and filled with more water. I will run that for another hour or two and then flush again and add antifreeze. I do have an oil leak at the oil filter. I need to figure that out next. Runs nice enough that I am going to move on to the brake system soon.
Old September 11th, 2018, 03:01 PM

Here is another video. I have it running really good now. I had changed oil in it before I started it up to begin with but after running it tonight for an hour I changed it again. Had an oil leak at the oil pump that I fixed also.

This video is not public so it is only by link. I will not likely post any more videos public till a later time. A more professional video is being made of this car and will be featured in a publication sometime next year. Till then I am keeping the public videos at a minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Df...ature=youtu.be
Old September 13th, 2018, 05:20 PM

I started working on the brakes tonight. So far, the brake lines are all coming loose and can reuse. The rubber lines will be replaced... I have the master cylinder rebuilt and back on and have the front wheel cylinders apart and soaking in carb cleaner. All the bolts came right apart and nothing broken off. I will get the fronts finished tomorrow and move to the back. I may be able to drive it this weekend. If I was a 63 guy I would be restoring this car and keeping it. The car is growing on me and would like to keep it but just can't.
Old September 15th, 2018, 09:28 AM

I have brakes! Took it for a mile drive down the road and back. I was sitting on a bucket so nothing to thrilling. The video turned out sideways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noWu...ature=youtu.be
Old September 22nd, 2018, 01:03 PM

I finished installing the interior back into the car. I have cleaned it the best I can. I do believe with a little more patience I could get the seats even better. The trunk mat is stained far to bad to make look good but at least it is clean now. I am still waiting for my new order of K&N air filters but all I need to do is install the air cleaner, add antifreeze and install the hood and it will be ready for MCACN. I just wish I did not have to clean so much of the dirt off of it. Makes for a better looking barn find display if I could have taken it the way it was when I got it. I am not cleaning any more till after the show.
Attached Images
IMG_2626.JPG (1.37 MB, 25 views)
IMG_2609.JPG (1.85 MB, 26 views)
IMG_2606.JPG (1.75 MB, 32 views)
Old September 28th, 2018, 02:54 PM

Ready for MCACN barn find section. I sure wish I could have taken it as dirty as it was when I got it.

Just an FYI, this car will be for sale likely before the magazine article comes out about it. If you are interested in a restoration project let me know. Original paint car so no bad body work is hiding. I have a good core back bumper to go with the car. The bumper did not get into the body.
Attached Images
IMG_2719.JPG (3.46 MB, 20 views)
IMG_2725.JPG (2.40 MB, 21 views)
IMG_2717.JPG (3.38 MB, 20 views)
IMG_2710.JPG (2.37 MB, 21 views)
Old November 19th, 2018, 05:48 PM

On the way home from MCACN I decided to stop at the car wash and pressure wash the dirt off. It looks like it is going to clean up better than I expected. I think I will get some tires ordered for it this week.

Old November 20th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Wow with some elbow grease, that may be a very nice driver. Is it a vinyl top car?
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Wow with some elbow grease, that may be a very nice driver. Is it a vinyl top car?
It is a two tone paint car. No vinyl
Old November 22nd, 2018, 07:17 AM

I really have no idea what I am doing or the best way to clean this paint up but the fenders is looking ok. The paint is so rough I almost wonder if it should have something done like a fine wet sand or something first. I know little to nothing about this kind of work so I am only using a foam pad with some 3M foam pad polish that I had laying around. After these pictures I did the same thing to the hood. It is missing enough paint that it will not clean up as good as the fender.

Old November 22nd, 2018, 08:40 AM

From the look in the pic, I am suspecting it has been repainted. That paint is pretty rough looking for a factory job. Back in those days, plenty of elbow grease and Turtle Wax or Blue Coral brought the paint back to life.
.........Just my two cents worth
Old November 23rd, 2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
From the look in the pic, I am suspecting it has been repainted. That paint is pretty rough looking for a factory job. Back in those days, plenty of elbow grease and Turtle Wax or Blue Coral brought the paint back to life.
.........Just my two cents worth
It is original paint other than the passenger side front fender and door. The paint is shot but it is original.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 09:58 AM

I got more cleaning done. I will be listing the car for sale sometime after the first of the year. It needs restored but it is all there and is a factory 4 speed car.

Old November 25th, 2018, 02:12 PM

My videos are always really corny so don't laugh to hard...

Old November 25th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Shoveling Snow

The video was pretty good, slow movement, a much better improvement.
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
The video was pretty good, slow movement, a much better improvement.
Slow movement shows bad spots,much faster would have been better.
Old November 26th, 2018, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Slow movement shows bad spots,much faster would have been better.
When I watched it I thought I should have went slower and get closer to the bad spots. I am going to sell it and want people to know what they are going to get.
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
When I watched it I thought I should have went slower and get closer to the bad spots. I am going to sell it and want people to know what they are going to get.
I know & was just messin with you.
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Olds Fever

Nice job on the video... Should help with a quick sale...
Old November 26th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Nice job on the video... Should help with a quick sale...
It is not listed for sale yet but already have a guy wanting it. Not sure if he is going to follow through or not. I am firm on the price till the Muscle Car Review article come out on it. He wants it a little lower priced but not ready to do that. There are only around 8 to 10 factory 4 speed Jetfire known to exist and I know a couple of them do not have the original engine or transmission like this one. It is not listed "for sale" but I have posted on a couple forums I will have $14,000 on it. I guess that kind of does make it for sale...
Old November 26th, 2018, 12:47 PM

Hello Eric,
Did you see the pictures of your car on the car craft magazine website (Hotrod network)?
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/barn...963-oldsmobile
Old November 26th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sixty9olds
Hello Eric,
Did you see the pictures of your car on the car craft magazine website (Hotrod network)?
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/barn...963-oldsmobile
I found that Sunday. I believe Cruising with Kendra is doing something also but I am dreading that one. She done an interview with me but we kept getting interrupted by other people and also I am really bad on video. Then also possible that Hagerty will have something
Old December 9th, 2018, 02:22 PM

Car is sold but wanted to post a couple more pictures. I found that they had every registration for the car all the way back to the first one. Also the one that matches the plates on the car now in 1971.