General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I fought the law and the law won

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM

I fought the law and the law won

The good thing about going to court and paying $188 for a moving violation is that you get to run into old hot rodder friends from high school you haven't seen in 27 years. We took my old 65 Biscayne out and smoked the tires just for old times sake and prayed I wouldn't get another ticket. Also if you bring an old car you'll find alot of nice people wanting to look it over. It reminded me of talking to folks at a swap meet. I had a great time exept for the heartless guy who heard my case. I had a story that would have impressed OJ's dream team. I would have got off but they didn't believe the traction control button didn't seem to be working.
Oh well, it's only money
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by MN71W30
The good thing about going to court and paying $188 for a moving violation is that you get to run into old hot rodder friends from high school you haven't seen in 27 years. We took my old 65 Biscayne out and smoked the tires just for old times sake and prayed I wouldn't get another ticket. Also if you bring an old car you'll find alot of nice people wanting to look it over. It reminded me of talking to folks at a swap meet. I had a great time exept for the heartless guy who heard my case. I had a story that would have impressed OJ's dream team. I would have got off but they didn't believe the traction control button didn't seem to be working.
Oh well, it's only money
I just don't get why there isn't a better understanding of the unintended and unexpected failure of traction controls. We all know it can occur at any time, though it does seem the failures more often occur at the time a red traffic signal changes to green and typically at night after 9:00PM.

For those of us old enough to be intimately familiar with these failures it seems they often occur when attempting to educate younger generations about automotive history. It is terribly short sighted to deny the youth of this country proper knowledge of the potential of high torque, high horsepower, cast iron engines.
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I thought everyone understood that it is required that good old american iron do stoplight burnouts. You have to let the smoke out of the tires or they will overheat and go flat. The timing for this has to be right.

1. next to a rice burner and he is giving you that middle finger sign
2. Saturday night good looking girl(s) next to you at stop light
3. Another american iron next to you at stop light
4. Leaving hamburger joint (anytime)

Wait am I 16 again or just waking up from this dream
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM

5] exiting High School parking lot.
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Rediculous!A friend of mine got a reckless driving ticket,he was only going 20mph!...Sideways in second.HA!
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Geezer

In the words of Charlie Ryan: "Son, you're going to drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop driving that Hot Rod Lincoln."
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
I just don't get why there isn't a better understanding of the unintended and unexpected failure of traction controls. We all know it can occur at any time, though it does seem the failures more often occur at the time a red traffic signal changes to green and typically at night after 9:00PM.

For those of us old enough to be intimately familiar with these failures it seems they often occur when attempting to educate younger generations about automotive history. It is terribly short sighted to deny the youth of this country proper knowledge of the potential of high torque, high horsepower, cast iron engines.
I wish Tex was there to represent me at the court house. After reading this a few times I figure the city owes me money for doing a service for the community.
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
HAHA, I still do that after picking up my nephews some 20 years after I graduated from same High School, especially when others are doing it, and after their 'ol Uncle gets a little encouragement.
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I thought everyone understood that it is required that good old american iron do stoplight burnouts. You have to let the smoke out of the tires or they will overheat and go flat. The timing for this has to be right.

1. next to a rice burner and he is giving you that middle finger sign
2. Saturday night good looking girl(s) next to you at stop light
3. Another american iron next to you at stop light
4. Leaving hamburger joint (anytime)

Wait am I 16 again or just waking up from this dream
I don't know why but when I grab that hurst shifter and hear those pipes I turn into a wild eyed punk with a lead foot.
I will remember to let the rest of the smoke out very soon.
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I got a careless driving ticket doing just that. Many burnouts ago.
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by BosMobile
Rediculous!A friend of mine got a reckless driving ticket,he was only going 20mph!...Sideways in second.HA!
Yor friend sounds like a fun guy to hang out with.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Geezer

I wish Tex was there to represent me at the court house. After reading this a few times I figure the city owes me money for doing a service for the community.
While I might be able to eloquently plead a logical sounding defense I doubt if it would have much impact outside of the Court where a friend of mine and fellow car loony sits on the bench. Every now and then I'll show up at the Court House at lunch and rack off the pipes of either one of my Starfires or my '58 Mercury as an invitation to go to lunch. We usually leave the Court House with a vigorous burn out just to rattle any Deputies that might be around. They're used to it and know just to enjoy rather than get their butts chewed on by a Judge.

Last edited by Texascarnut; May 11th, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Oh well, it's only money
There's a good thing about going to court??? Let me think about that. Paying 188 to reaqaint with old rodder friends from school??? Hmm, a case of cold beer on a hot day will do that for about 175 bucks less and real friends keep in touch. Ok, I dig that part about getting the attention in an old car; it's cool. I don't think there's any one of us who feels different. BTW, if it's only money and you got lots.....

Now that story about Traction Control?? Son, you goin to hafta realize that not all justices are dumb. TC doesn't limit speed, your foot does. Don't know if he was really heartless, they hear lots of made up BS every day. You yankin his chain and he just yanked it back. Good try though. Loved your story.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM

You have to have so many by shift end and it's getting late, what can a fellow due. Find a donut shop close to a burn out spot. It's been a long day.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM

It's always worth a try,
The offender 1968 Cutlass convert with a 1966 425 toronado engine .040 over.

25 yrs back I got caught in the act of smoking my tires from a 10mph punch of the gas. The cop pulled me over and asked how my driving record was, I told him good.. He then said "not for long" he told me to just sit tight while I write out a couple tickets. I noticed some chick pull up behind him and start asking him what I had done. I could tell it was a sweetheart of his and I didn't figure it was any of her buisness anyway.

I had a buddy working at an auto repair/parts store and I had him write me up a slip saying my emergency brakes were sticking.
I went to the court house with my official paper work and told the guy a doozie.
I told him I was driving down the road and my car started to slow down some so I gave it more gas, it got worse so I gave it some more gas. The rear tires started to smoke, then the cop pulled me over. I could tell the Judge had his doubts so then he raised his eyebrow and said you better read this.

I was supprised how accurate the cop was with his description. He said I was traveling east on the parkway about 15 miles per hour then I popped the clutch and smoked the tires up over the hill and around the corner. I told the Judge my car is an automatic, I don't have a clutch and I don't know any cars that will start smoking the tires at 10 miles per hour.
He said, OK, why didn't you tell the officer about the trouble with the brakes. I said I was gonna but his girlfriend showed up and I couldn't get a word in.
The Judge said have a nice day and I'll take care of these tickets.

Last edited by MN71W30; May 16th, 2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:24 AM

my girl's tires only smoke in the rain then you can't tell
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM

It's always worth a try,
The offender 1968 Cutlass convert with a 1966 425 toronado engine .040 over.

25 yrs back I got caught in the act of smoking my tires from a 10mph punch of the gas. The cop pulled me over and asked how my driving record was, I told him good.. He then said "not for long" he told me to just sit tight while I write out a couple tickets. I noticed some chick pull up behind him and start asking him what I had done. I could tell it was a sweetheart of his and I didn't figure it was any of her buisness anyway.

I had a buddy working at an auto repair/parts store and I had him write me up a slip saying my emergency brakes were sticking.
I went to the court house with my official paper work and told the guy a doozie.
I told him I was driving down the road and my car started to slow down some so I gave it more gas, it got worse so I gave it some more gas. The rear tires started to smoke, then the cop pulled me over. I could tell the Judge had his doubts so then he raised his eyebrow and said you better read this.

I was supprised how accurate the cop was with his description. He said I was traveling east on the parkway about 15 miles per hour then I popped the clutch and smoked the tires up over the hill and around the corner. I told the Judge my car is an automatic, I don't have a clutch and I don't know any cars that will start smoking the tires at 10 miles per hour.
He said, OK, why didn't you tell the officer about the trouble with the brakes. I said I was gonna but his girlfriend showed up and I couldn't get a word in.
The Judge said have a nice day and I'll take care of these tickets.
Arrrgh
You scallywag!