General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

64 Cutlass with a non functional door lock. Guidance required.

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2018, 07:58 PM

64 Cutlass with a non functional door lock. Guidance required.

Hi all,

Picked up a 64 Cutlass convertible but the passenger door lock won't work, specially the **** won't slide up or down to engage the lock.

Can someone give me the rundown on how to disassemble the door panel and what parts might be required to make it functional again? Unfortunately I don't have access to a service manual of any sort. Thanks in advance.
Old August 13th, 2018, 07:57 PM

If you plan to work on your car I'd encourage you to get the set of service manuals for 1964. But for now, you need to remove the door panel to see what's wrong on the inside. I have some 1964 doors that I can take photos of to show you what the lock mechanism looks like. But the first step it to remove the door panel and see if the problem is obvious, like a missing clip or bent rod. Use a large Phillips screwdriver to remove the arm rest. The door handle release has a clip that you'll be able to see once the arm rest is off, remove that clip and pull the handle straight out. The window crank will have a similar clip, but you'll need a special tool to remove that. Once these are off you'll need to pull the fasteners that go around the door panel. I've got to look at a loose one, I don't remember if the 1964 had Phillips screws across the bottom or just tiny nails that fit into plastic inserts in the door. I'll try to check tomorrow and post pictures for you. Then you'll need to push the door panel up to get the metal top portion that the window fuzzy attaches to loose from the top of the door. Then you should be able to lift the door panel off and look at the internal parts of the door latch, lock and window regulator. Yeah, I'll try to get some photos for you in the next day or two if nobody else beats me to it. John