General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Borg Clock stem removal help ??

Old July 5th, 2018, 07:29 AM

Clock Stem removal help ??

Hi All - trying to change the faceplate in a Borg clock from a 1971 Cutlass. Cannot, for the life of me, get the stem to unscrew .
Can someone please tell me if the little knurled **** is the thing that unscrews from the shaft after pulling up the plastic sleeve to reveal the metal shaft - OR, does the shaft itself unscrew from the gear inside ?
Or..maybe something else entirely.
I don't want to break the thing off, so, before I put brute strength on it, I'd like to find out what part actually unscrews...and, maybe it is a left or right hand threading ??
Thanks..

Joe - New Jersey
Old July 5th, 2018, 07:37 AM

Borg Clock stem removal help ??

Hi All - trying to remove the stem from the clock on a 1971 Cutlass but cannot, for the life of me, get the thing to unscrew.
Can someone please tell me if it is the little knurled **** that unscrews, or the shaft itself from the gear inside the movement.
I have tried to turn the knurled **** while holding the metal shaft with needle nose pliers after sliding the plastic sleeve down to reveal the shaft, but no joy.
I'd like to get it off, but before I apply brute strength to it, would like to know what part actually unscrews, and maybe if it is a left hand or right hand threading ?
Thanks

Joe - New Jersey
Old July 5th, 2018, 07:41 AM

**** comes off. Check and see if there is a little slot in the center for a flat head. Some are like that. Don't turn the ****, undo the little screw in the center of the ****, if it has it. Think eyeglasses screwdriver size.
Old July 5th, 2018, 07:54 AM

clock

To remove the ****, pull it up and attach a pair of needle nose pliers on the stem below the ****. Unscrew the **** counter clockwise.
This worked for me many times.
Derek
Old July 5th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
**** comes off. Check and see if there is a little slot in the center for a flat head. Some are like that. Don't turn the ****, undo the little screw in the center of the ****, if it has it. Think eyeglasses screwdriver size.

^^^This. You need a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver. The "screw" is actually a tiny tubular nut that screws over the end of the clock shaft. Once the screw is loose, the **** pulls off. This photo is Chevelle, but you get the idea.

Old July 5th, 2018, 08:05 AM

I've seen several other brands that have the small screw in the middle of the **** but the Oldsmobile ***** are not like that. I have had many that are really stubborn to the point of me thinking I would break the stem if I turned the **** any harder. I have found that if you take a really small set of pliers & grab the stem just under the **** & then use a small torch/lighter to heat up the **** for about 15 seconds or so & then use another small set of pliers to gently turn the **** they almost always come loose.
Old July 5th, 2018, 08:48 AM

Soak in Kroil or PB Blaster for a day of two first.

Most are rusted on.
Old July 5th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Borg clock stem - YES !

Thanks to all who responded. I was finally able to get the knurled **** off.
Now for the next step.

This is a great website !

Joe New Jersey