General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone looking for a great metal polish?

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2018, 06:02 PM

Anyone looking for a great metal polish?

Autosol the only polish I use. I first bought a tube of this stuff 35 years ago at the Carlisle, PA fall swap meet. I figured for $7 if it didn't do what I just saw I'd toss it. Well when that tube ran out I could no longer find it until the internet came about. So I used many products but none worked as good. Now you can get it from a company in Texas. Every time I use this stuff it amazes me. So yesterday, Father's day I cleaned the beat up Cutlass. These were the front rings, very pitted & chinesium crap. The whole ring was as pitted as the right side. Can't seam to find the 6" anywhere so I cleaned them. Believe me none of this is a trick. When I cleaned half, I decided to take a photo. Every now and again someone asks about a metal polish. This is it. End of story. I used the aluminum polish on the intake before I dropped it in the car last year and it's just now turning and the car sits in the weather all year.

Old June 18th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up, it's good to know when a product performs as advertised since there is so much snake oil out there. Looks like it will work on aluminum too. I'll have to pick some up to add to my arsenal for my never ending battle against rust and oxidation.
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:32 PM

I have used Simichrome since the 1960's. You can polish die cast stuff to look almost like chrome. In the old days it was hard to find and came in a small tube. It was mostly found in motorcycle shops and wasn't cheap.

Thanks to the internet, I found 3 pound cans at Eastwood or somewhere and got a can. That Simichrome can is not left out in plain sight !

I have used it on die cast, aluminum, brass and chrome. The surfaces don't oxidize quickly.

I have older motorcycles as a hobby also, and have used it as my only polish on metal.

If that works for you, that's great.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; June 18th, 2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: correct typo's
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:33 PM

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...olish&_sacat=0
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Wow, I may give that a try. How's it do on aluminum?
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:54 PM

QQ, in my 70 cutlass convertible i have painted interior pieces that have some pitting and mild rust dots. can i use this or would this strip the paint?

Thanks.
Ed
Old June 18th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

Simachrome was and still is very good for polishing out fine cutter/stone marks on Die sections, moulds, and cast.
Have been using it for years myself, However I don't find it useful on any rusty/pitted parts.
Autosol is still #1 for heavy oxidisation and rust on chrome/SS IMO

Eric
Old June 18th, 2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I have used Simichrome since the 1960's. You can polish die cast stuff to look almost like chrome. In the old days it was hard to find and came in a small tube. It was mostly found in motorcycle shops and wasn't cheap.

Thanks to the internet, I found 3 pound cans at Eastwood or somewhere and got a can. That Simichrome can is not left out in plain sight !

I have used it on die cast, aluminum, brass and chrome. The surfaces don't oxidize quickly.

I have older motorcycles as a hobby also, and have used it as my only polish on metal.

If that works for you, that's great.
My son is a jeweler and most in that business use Semichrome. I have used it for 30 years on brass, aluminum, die cast, or most any metals that can be brought to a mirror finish. All polished by hand, no machine buffing needed.

Also injection mold makers use it for extra fine polishing on the molds. Use a popsicle stick and get with it.
Old June 18th, 2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Simachrome was and still is very good for polishing out fine cutter/stone marks on Die sections, moulds, and cast.
Have been using it for years myself, However I don't find it useful on any rusty/pitted parts.
Autosol is still #1 for heavy oxidisation and rust on chrome/SS IMO

Thanks, I may get some Autosol and try it on some heavily rusted chrome if I can find something.

edzolz....... Thanks, I'll try a popsicle stick when I get a chance. I have used wood paint brush handles wrapped with cotton rags to get into tight spots.
Old June 19th, 2018, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Wow, I may give that a try. How's it do on aluminum?
Works great. They also sell an aluminum polish. I think I started with the metal and switched over to the aluminum when I did my W455 intake.

I use it on my stainless kitchen appliances too. You have to do it 2 or 3 times to get all the oxidizing out.
Old June 19th, 2018, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by ewarnke19
QQ, in my 70 cutlass convertible i have painted interior pieces that have some pitting and mild rust dots. can i use this or would this strip the paint?

Thanks.
Ed
Not sure but they sell different polishes.
https://www.autosol.com