Need some help roof rail top seals - ClassicOldsmobile.com

General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 13th, 2018, 07:26 AM   #1  

Need some help roof rail top seals

When I took things off the car the roof rail seal and the fuzzies was pretty much shot. And I didn't get the pictures I should have. The area I am having trouble with is the back rear corner of the rear quarter window. That area that is a triangle that is below the thickness of the quarter panel skin. I got new window fuzzies hoping that they would cover it up but they don't. I do remember that it is covered with rubber but from which of the seals. I am into body work and if this area needs to be filled now is when I need to.

My question is, Does the roof rail seals cover this area, if not what goes here?. and can someone post a picture of what it should look like as finished. I do not have the top of the door B85 moldings.

This is for a 72 Cutlass Supreme 2 door coupe I made the changes and the area is in the circle on the picture now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0612181630.jpg (248.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by AJFink; June 14th, 2018 at 07:59 AM.
AJFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 09:46 PM   #2  

The roof rail seal just runs straight back into "infinity".....it does not make a turn and travel downwards.

In your first pic above....looking at your pic "as posted" (ie-sideways)....

>There is a piece of sheet metal in the pic you can see...it's the single thickness piece running horizontally and parallel to the other metal. I THINK there is a solid rubber strip that slips over that piece of metal.

The piece of metal and the strip, if used on Supreme hardtops, runs VERTICALLY. The rubber strip is rubber molded onto a metal piece and some integral clips or a channel in the metal piece slips over the single piece of metal.

I don't remember if this rubber strip is inside the glass edge or outside once installed and with the quarter glass in place....been a long time since I've messed with one and it was on a '72 Buick Abody that has a similar, but not exactly the same, quarter glass and window opening shape back there.

The rubber strip, if used on a Supreme hardtop, is a solid rubber molded piece....sort of a straight piece but molded around the metal internal channel piece. What I mean by this is it is NOT a foam rubber type material like the roofrail weatherstrip.

Don't know if they're repro'd or not...maybe you still have yours somewhere or someone can find you a nice used piece. Down here, with the sun and heat, these are typically very hardened up so one of the upper US folks may have nice pieces.

Can't really tell about the "triangle" part you're asking about but I assume it's at the bottom of this area where it meets the top of the quarter panel skin (bottom/rear corner of the quarter glass)....maybe you can EDIT your pic on your computer (photoshop, etc) and circle the "triangle" area you're asking about so everyone is on the same "wavelength" when looking at the pics.
70Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #3  

Thanks Patton did the fixes to the picture. just hope someone can help me figure this out and if I can get replacements.
Old June 14th, 2018, 09:15 PM   #4  

I'll check at the old car salvage place here next time I'm there. There are plenty of Supremes there but it may be a week or more before I get out there. I'll take a camera if I do go.

Don't wait on me, however....hopefully someone w/a '70-2 Supreme has one torn apart and can look for the rubber strips I mentioned (for pics or show installed on their car).

Does your car have the anodized aluminum bright moldings that run along the top of the doors and the quarters (where the bottom of the side glass pieces is)??????
70Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 06:38 AM   #5  

Does your car have the anodized aluminum bright moldings that run along the top of the doors and the quarters (where the bottom of the side glass pieces is)??????
No mine does not.

After digging out my old ones looks like I am going to need the inside and outside parts for both sides of the car.