General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

If this insulation fits the Chevelle wgon, shouldn't work for my vista cruiser?...

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2018, 09:37 PM

If this insulation fits the Chevelle wgon, shouldn't work for my vista cruiser?...

It's not listed as being compatible, but aside from maybe the piece for the rear seats shouldn't everything else be identical? A 1972 Chevelle Concourse Estate wagon is an a-body wagon right? Does the material sound like the correct original type material to go under the jute padding, straight onto the sheet metal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-72-Che....c100005.m1851
Old May 17th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tcolt
It's not listed as being compatible, but aside from maybe the piece for the rear seats shouldn't everything else be identical? A 1972 Chevelle Concourse Estate wagon is an a-body wagon right? Does the material sound like the correct original type material to go under the jute padding, straight onto the sheet metal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-72-Che....c100005.m1851
Yes, it will fit the same year range Olds flattop wagon. The Vista has a longer wheelbase so everything behind the front seats is different.
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Thanks Joe. I contacted the company and it looks like ACC also sells the kit for the Vista Cruiser, but they say this is additional sound deadening. I definitely remember there was also some kind of bitumen based insulation on the floors too.

Here's the VC kit, although the stock picture looks exactly like for the Chevelle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-72-Old...cAAOSwV6ta~XXT
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Gary

...the VC kit...picture looks exactly like for the Chevelle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-72-Old...cAAOSwV6ta~XXT
Tom, there is more distance between the front and rear seats on the Vista Cruiser versus the Chevelle or a Cutlass Flattop. Therefore the rear floor padding would be different as well. This will not fit your Vista Cruiser without adding material.
Gary
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VC455
Tom, there is more distance between the front and rear seats on the Vista Cruiser versus the Chevelle or a Cutlass Flattop. Therefore the rear floor padding would be different as well. This will not fit your Vista Cruiser without adding material.
Gary
Don't assume that the stock photo in the ebay ad is the actual product. The the vendor part numbers for the Chevelle (flattop) and Vista products are different.
Old May 17th, 2018, 12:15 PM

ACC confirmed they have a kit for the VC and they are sending me a sample. Did you have to replace any of this on your car Gary? I guess many people simply go with after market Dynatron type material. I'm not even sure the cars had this originally. I do remember that the front floor area had some bitumen panel covering them all the way up to the top edge of the rocker sills. That's what I would like to put back in. I'm not so concerned with the rear and under the front seat since it seems like most of the heat and noise would have dissipated by that point....
Old May 17th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Gary

Did you have to replace any of this on your car Gary?...
I'm not so concerned with the rear and under the front seat since it seems like most of the heat and noise would have dissipated by that point....
Tom, the factory material was tar- or rubber-based. Mine was not in good shape and I started over with a DynaMat-type material, then put auto carpet pad over it.

At least use padding everywhere your carpet. The floor pan has a lot of reinforcing ribs that keep it from drumming or resonating-so the DynaMat stuff isn't strictly necessary.

I bought bulk, cheap DynaMat-type material and rolls of auto-carpet padding. I cut and fit them myself at quite a savings over the brand name DynaMat and the patterned factory-style sound deadener-padding.

Gary
Old May 17th, 2018, 04:57 PM

Thanks Gary. Just curious. Did your have that tar/ rubber material everywhere there is carpet too?... I really couldn't find a trace of it anywhere but in the front foot wells and rocker sills.
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Gary

Tom, I took that material out 20 years ago, so I'm a bit hazy on the exact spec. I specifically recall tar-rubber in front; I'm not sure about the rear. There may have been tar-rubber or something else.

In any case, the rear carpet was not put over bare floor. There are wires crossing the floor from side-to-side that could be damaged without some type of pad under the carpet. The main wiring for the rear also goes through a flat, black plastic conduit on the driver side from the dash to the third seat area. Padding would have been required to protect these and prevent spot wear on the carpet.

The Vista was not a cheap car, so it had everything you would expect in one of the better models.

Standard covering in the cargo area was a flat, linoleum-like material. Option B39 got you serged, glued, and screwed carpet but no padding with either covering.

Gary
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:59 PM

Thanks Gary

When I said that there was no trace of tar material to the rear of the front seat, that didn't include the original jute material that I found. I didn't find the brittle tar sheet that I found in the front and I think that maybe there wasn't anything but the roughly 3/8" to 1/2" jute in the back. I'll check wit Garrett since he's been keeping pretty good records of how hs car came apart, which I unfortunately didn't :-)...

Thanks, Tom