General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Lug nuts bad

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2018, 03:06 PM

Lug nuts bad

1970 442 bought new chrome lug nuts from Summit Racing, they are stripping out when tightened. They were bought from Summit but shipped from Inline tube. This sucks, whats everybody using on the SS1 wheels ? Thanks----Greg
Old May 12th, 2018, 03:21 PM
72 Olds CS

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s-crapbay.html

See this thread one poster mentioned mcgard
Old May 12th, 2018, 03:55 PM

Lug nuts ??

Bought chrome lug nuts for my SS1 wheels from Summit Racing. They are stripping out when tightened. Bought thru Summit but dropped shipped from Inline tube. So what is everybody using for their SS1 wheels. These lugs are crap. Thanks----Greg
Old May 12th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

I merged your identical threads. I'm not sure posting this in Parts for Sale was going to get you the info anyway.
Old May 12th, 2018, 05:46 PM

Nice to see that Inline is still selling a part they know is defective.
Old May 12th, 2018, 06:08 PM

I picked up lug nuts from Rockauto, they might not be exact but they work.
Old May 13th, 2018, 05:43 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ya real sad but Chineasium junk has managed to infiltrate critical safety items such as, ...say, umm...fasteners to keep the wheels on at 80 mph...GAH! Rockwell grade negative 8....Whats next lead ring and pinion sets from the bargain ocean-going barge. All retailers are guilty as well as the consumer looking for the cheapest way out. Hard economics. I've seen china everything from tubular control arms, ball joints, UJoints, wheel studs, et all....I will NOT let anything chineasium touch anything I own...that is when I can ferret out the country of origin. Gives new meaning to Caveat Emptor! sad sad....
A friend learned this lesson the hard way with a junk tubular front control arm/BJ/Spindle kit. The welds separated at speed on his 67 Blown 572 inch BB Chevelle. Almost killed him. The car was totaled. The cage saved him. Not worth it. USA all the way baby...Always ask country of origin.
Old May 13th, 2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Ya real sad but Chineasium junk has managed to infiltrate critical safety items such as, ...say, umm...fasteners to keep the wheels on at 80 mph...GAH! Rockwell grade negative 8....Whats next lead ring and pinion sets from the bargain ocean-going barge. All retailers are guilty as well as the consumer looking for the cheapest way out. Hard economics. I've seen china everything from tubular control arms, ball joints, UJoints, wheel studs, et all....I will NOT let anything chineasium touch anything I own...that is when I can ferret out the country of origin. Gives new meaning to Caveat Emptor! sad sad....
A friend learned this lesson the hard way with a junk tubular front control arm/BJ/Spindle kit. The welds separated at speed on his 67 Blown 572 inch BB Chevelle. Almost killed him. The car was totaled. The cage saved him. Not worth it. USA all the way baby...Always ask country of origin.

Chinesium had infiltrated the aircraft industry several years ago. I believe "60 minutes" or someone did a piece on fraudulent aircraft parts.

When I worked as a machinist in a production shop 15 years ago, the "job bidders" got the cheapest steel they could buy...... usually from China.
It was inconsistent. Hard spots and "gummy soft spots" that broke off 1/4" taps. Yes, it had all the stenciled on "meets A-___ specs" painted on it.

Wait til they start building bridges and skyscrapers with Chinese steel or Chinese anything.
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:39 PM

Friend of mine was a deep water welder on off-shore oil wells(not THAT one ) and he told me that every item they found that had a questionable origin "slipped" over the edge and was lost at sea. When your life depends on the quality of your gear, only Made in USA was good enough.
Old May 14th, 2018, 09:43 PM

I got my lug nuts from The Parts Place and McGards.