General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1st Olds.. now Pontiac

Old April 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM

1st Olds.. now Pontiac

Announced this morning that Pontiac will cease to exist by the end of 2010. RIP Pontiac....RIP...
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Pontiac

Whos next? Why dont they shut down the US Toyota plants & concentrate on US cars !
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Unhappy

Well,
I'm going to go out and buy some more spare parts for my 06 solstice soon. I already have a fender and a headlamp unit for the driver side. I will now have to keep it forever. It was #2129 off the line, if I remember correctly.
I was kind of thinking about trading it off for one of the new hardtop versions--they look even better than the convert in my opinion.

Maybe a G8 before they shut down production? Been wanting to dump the Vue anyway, and don't have the coin for a CTS.
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Past Administrator

GM has been doing stupid crap for decades and it has finally caught up to them. I hated when Oldsmobile went and it is sad that Pontiac is going but you gotta admit it was stupid to have the exact same car with different badges and mild outward changes in three or four different divisions. If they were smart and would have downsized slowly over two decades we still might have an Oldsmobile 442 and Toronado, Pontiac would still have their Firebird, Buick their Wildcat , and Chevy could have the Corvette and Camaro while Cadillac kept all the big expensive cars. Then there would have been room for Saturn to have all the econ-boxes and GMC to have the trucks. Now, there is no way out of this and still be able to keep everyone happy.
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
GM has been doing stupid crap for decades and it has finally caught up to them. I hated when Oldsmobile went and it is sad that Pontiac is going but you gotta admit it was stupid to have the exact same car with different badges and mild outward changes in three or four different divisions.
Let's face it - all the GM cars look pretty much the same. Just like Ford/Mercury. Chrysler dumped the Plymouth line a while back. All the Japanese makes kept to a single line. The only change is that they went with an upscale line - Honda => Acura, etc. I think GM is making a mistake in taking some of their more diverse lines out of the mix - Saturn for example. I guess it just means there are more classics to be had over time.