General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

83 cutlass brougham

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2018, 09:06 AM

83 cutlass brougham

I have an 83 cutlass brougham Edition. Car has been running fine until yesterday it stalled on me and wouldn’t stay on idles for a couple seconds fine and cuts off. Could it be a carburetor issue ?
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Your issue could be several things... Could start by checking for any vacuum leaks... If no vacuum leaks, check for fuel flow/pressure to the carburetor... If you have no vacuum leaks and fuel pressure is good, you most likely have a carb issue...
Old April 17th, 2018, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Welcome to the group... Your issue could be several things... Could start by checking for any vacuum leaks... If no vacuum leaks, check for fuel flow/pressure to the carburetor... If you have no vacuum leaks and fuel pressure is good, you most likely have a carb issue...
I adjusted a few screws according to the Haynes manual. Now the car stays on and isles fine but soon as I give it gas it shuts off... I’m not to car savy as this is my first car that I’m making it a project car to learn on. How would I check for a vacuum leak ?
Old April 17th, 2018, 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=Naranjo13;1090096]

I adjusted a few screws according to the Haynes manual. Now the car stays on and isles fine but soon as I give it gas it shuts off... I’m not to car savy as this is my first car that I’m making it a project car to learn on. How would I check for a vacuum leak /QUOTE] I just don’t understand why it would idle fine now and soon as I give it a little gas while in drive cuts off ??
Old April 18th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Lance

[QUOTE=Naranjo13;1090098]
Originally Posted by Naranjo13

I adjusted a few screws according to the Haynes manual. Now the car stays on and isles fine but soon as I give it gas it shuts off... I’m not to car savy as this is my first car that I’m making it a project car to learn on. How would I check for a vacuum leak /QUOTE] I just don’t understand why it would idle fine now and soon as I give it a little gas while in drive cuts off ??
I would check for a dirty fuel filter causing a fuel flow restriction.