General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Old Oldsmobile parts , are these even worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2018, 02:36 PM

Old Oldsmobile parts , are these even worth keeping?

When I bought my 72 Cutlass a couple of years ago the previous owner gave me left over parts from the restoration. They include the old starter , alternator , front drum brakes (they were converted to disc) and 4 SS3 rims in 14x6 without the trim rings or center caps . Also included are the exhaust manifolds . It has headers and thats the way it will stay. I currently have 15 inch tires on and plan on keeping it that way.

I am trying to decide if there is any really reason to keep any of this. I suppose I could rebuild the starter and the alternator . I doubt I would be able to sell much of this. 14X6 SSIII rims arent really in demand and it would cost me more money to restore them than they are worth (and no way do I want to go back to 14s anyway). I guess what I am asking is which of this is worth keeping or selling and which should be just pitched. Thanks in advance.
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Administrator

If you have no use for the items, come up with some asking prices and list them in the classifieds. There are others here that could probably use them.
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Olds Fever

As Eric suggests, list the parts here on the classifieds and see if someone has a need for them... Also, FWIW, the 14x6 SSIII's were not correct for your 72 so why bother keep them...
Old March 17th, 2018, 03:05 PM

Good idea about putting them in the classifieds . I agree with the rims. Plus they take up room too. Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2018, 07:34 PM

Scrap the 14's other members and myself have tried to give them away, no one wants them. SSII's different story. check the starter for the tapped hole on the side towards the rear. If it's there you should keep it as a spare or sell it for the case. There's a bracket mounts from the block to that hole. Also if you have trouble starting it when it's hot you can get a heat shield that also bolts to those holes.
Old March 17th, 2018, 10:53 PM

FYI, you can have the centers of the 14" wheels cut out and installed in 15" wheels. And those 15" wheels can be anywhere from 7" to 10" wide. So I guess what I am saying is they are valuable as cores for a wheel rebuild.
Old March 18th, 2018, 04:32 AM

garage art ?ive seen guys get creative make hose reels with 14 inch wheels . i had an old alternator tested recently which tested good so i spent some time cleaning it up .its an original and will make a great spare.if you dont think you'll ever use it i agree with selling it .i have found alot of this stuff you cant give it away due high cost of shipping.i am amassing a pretty good pile myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3067.JPG (2.26 MB, 39 views)
Old March 18th, 2018, 05:49 AM

Good question I'm sure most of us think about. I bought my 71 Cutlass in 94 and it was just a 20 yr old car, nothing special. I modified things some and replaced small stuff like starter, water pump, etc. I just turned in the core as we did back then. Now the car is 47 yrs old and has gotten better and is more rare. Some of the stuff I did back then I wish I hadn't. Some in our hobby are looking at correct #'s for alternators, distributors, etc. So at this point I wouldn't get rid of anything original to your car. But maybe you don't have the room I do. I store a bunch of parts in the rafters of my pole barn. I have kept the 14" SSIII's that came on my car just because I think they are original. I don't plan to reuse them either. It seems like a hassle trying to sell stuff also. Shipping eats up to much for buyer many times.
Old March 18th, 2018, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to keep the starter and alternator . I will go thru them and rebuild them if neccesary. The rims are probably going to the curb . The drum brake parts I might try to see eventually. I have no plans on converting it back to drum , but there might be guys who have drum on their cars that are keeping it that way.

My car isnt a show car. Its more of a fun car/take to cruisins kinda car. Its not anywhere near original (thats why I got it for a good price ), but its fun to drive . It has a supreme hood , a Cutlass S grille , the guage cluster was changed for Autometer gauges, the interior started life as a bench seat ,automatic on the column ,single exhaust and 2 barrel. It now has buckets with the proper auto on the floor ,dual exhaust , headers and a 4 barrel carb. Much more fun to drive than Grannys car would have been.
Old March 18th, 2018, 08:57 AM

You could put the SSIIIs on something else. My utility trailer sports 2 of my 3 SSIII purple wheels I got in a parts lot. Seen here returning from WV with a powertrain of a 67 442 that I purchased from the late, great Ed Skaff a few days before he, regrettably, passed on.

Old March 18th, 2018, 11:15 AM

I'd love to do that with my trailer and get some use out of the six 14"or four 15" SSIII wheels taking up space in the yard, but the trailer axle is a different bolt pattern.
Old March 19th, 2018, 05:15 AM

Yeah they do make great trailer wheels but it's tough finding good used 14" tires. I switched my trailer to 15" but now it's getting hard to find used 15" tires. I'm too cheap to put new ones on it they weather check before getting hardly worn.
Old March 19th, 2018, 06:31 AM

This is what you can do with spare SS wheels. Make a table.

Old March 20th, 2018, 01:42 PM

I would hate to see parts that someone could use get scrapped. If you cannot sell them, give them away; recipient to pay shipping?